WASHINGTON COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Date
Built
Current
Use
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
afton Amelund Threshing Show Grounds C ???? Museum None Wood
Copas
(Vasa)
2070 County M, south side, about .3 miles west of Nye Lane in Nye, WI.
(GPS: 45.31694, -92.5852)
C ???? Residence None Wood
stillwater 601 North Main Street P ???? Vacant Aband. Brick  
Stillwater 305 South Water Street F 1883 Business Gone Brick  
Stillwater Junction
(Siegel)
10732 Stillwater Boulevard (MN-5), Lake Elmo
(GPS: 44.998785,-92.888551)
C 1881 Residence None Wood
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Afton  
Arcola  
Bayport
(S. Stillwater)
There was a St. Paul, Stillwater & Taylor's Falls Railroad station here as early as 1874. It was the first station in this town with the CM&St.P coming later. The line from Stillwater Switch to South Stillwater was removed in 1935. Stillwater Switch was about half way between Stillwater and South Stillwater.
Bayport
(S. Stillwater)

AND
There was a union station here that was built in 1890.
Bayport
(S. Stillwater)
A "new" Omaha station was built in 1914. It was a wooden station with a concrete foundation.
Bayport
(S. Stillwater)
Most likely built around 1914 also after the demise of the old union station (for reasons unknown).
Carnelian junction  
Cottage Grove  
Dellwood  
Duluth junction  
DulUth Junction  
Forest Lake  
Hugo  
Hugo
(Centerville)
The original Lake Superior & Mississippi RR station was was most likely in the vicinity of where MN-8 now intersects with US 61 and was built around 1870. The original name of Hugo was Centerville Station.
Lake Elmo
(Bass lake)
Prior to 1879, this location was known as Bass Lake Station. There was a St. Paul, Stillwater & Taylor's Falls Railroad station here as early as 1874.
lake elmo This appears to be the depot for the Lake Elmo Sanatarium.
Lake Elmo The main Lake Elmo station was built in 1906. It was a wooden frame building with a concrete foundation. The building also featured a 24' pavillion.
Lakeland  
Langdon  
Mahtomedi
(Wilson)
Later part of the NP.
Mahtomedi
(Wilson)
There was a Stillwater & St. Paul RR station here was early as 1874. The S&St.P railroad ran from Stillwater to White Bear Lake (looping around the north side of the lake from Mahtomedi to the village of White Bear Lake). It became part of the St. Paul & Duluth Railroad in 1899 which was later bought by the Northern Pacific.
Maple Island  
Marine
(Marine Mills)
 
Midvale
(Castle)
 
Newport  
Newport  
Oakdale There was a St. Paul, Stillwater & Taylor's Falls Railroad station here as early as 1874. The CSt.PM&O station was between Hadley Avenue to the east and Granada Avenue to the west and Stillwater Boulevard to the south. This is at the corner of what is now Upper 28th and 29th Street.
Otisville  
Point Douglas  
Point Douglas  
Red Rock This village was one mile north of Newport near the intersection of Red Rock Road and Bailey Road.
St. Mary  
St. paul
Auto Club
 
St. Paul park This station was on 5th Street at Broadway.
St. Paul Park This station was on Pullman Avenue.
St. Paul park  
Stillwater The St. Paul, Stillwater & Taylor's Falls Railroad terminated in Stillwater at the station. According to an 1874 map, this station was located near the corner of East Pine and South Main (when Pine street went through and intersected with Main). The line became part of the St. Paul & Sioux City RR in 1880 and eventually became part of the CSt.PM&O. This was the second RR station in Stillwater, having been built around 1872.
Stillwater According to the 1874 map of the town, the Stillwater & St. Paul RR station was located right on the water at the end of Myrtle Street. This was the first station in Stillwater, having been built around 1870. There was passenger station on the west side of the tracks and a freight station on the east side of the tracks. This railroad ran from Stillwater to White Bear Lake and this station was the terminus at Stillwater. It became part of the St. Paul & Duluth Railroad in 1899 which was later bought by the Northern Pacific.
Stillwater
AND
This union station was built in 1887 and was located on the NE corner of Water and Myrtle Streets. It was torn down in 1960 to make way for a grocery store (also now gone). The site is now a parking lot. For most of its life it served the Northern Pacific and CSt.PM&O railroads.
Stillwater There was an Omaha freight station built here in 1897.
Wildwood  
withrow  
1898 WASHINGTON COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

Afton (CMSt.P&P) - The depot on the Amelund Threshing Show Grounds is advertised as being from Bayport, however, before it was in Bayport it was originally in Afton. The depot has been moved twice.

Copas (Soo Line) - A section worker for the RR bought it and moved it to Nye in the 1950s.

Stillwater Junction (Siegel) (CSt.PM&O) - Known as Siegel on modern maps, there was a St. Paul, Stillwater & Taylor's Falls Railroad station here as early as 1874. This was originally the junction of the St.PS&TF (which continued NE to Stillwater) and the West Wisconsin RR (which crossed the river at Hudson, WI and ran NW up to the junction). This junction was in the vicinity of 47th Street North and Osgood Avenue. A passenger station here was built by the St. Paul & Sioux City RR in 1881 (likely this station). A two story agent's dwelling was constructed here in 1883. The station was originally located right where the RR tracks and 47th street from the east come together (GPS: 45.015761, -92.807381). The depot was sold by the railroad to Lawrence Schneider on August 8, 1935 for $80. The depot was then moved to Lake Elmo and remained on south side of the street until being moved across the street to its current location in in 1954. --Thanks to Bill Schrankler and Dean Thilgen for sharing this information about the move and locations.