SWIFT COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Date
Built
Current
Use
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
Appleton Reuss Avenue C ???? Residence None Wood  
Appleton Cottonwood Creek Hunting Preserve, 1160 100th Street SW, in Danvers C 1885 Club None Wood  
Benson ???? F ???? ???? In Use Metal  
Benson
(Litchfield)
Sibley Avenue South between West Depot and West Darwin Streets in Litchfield (Meeker Co.) C ???? Railroad In Use Wood
clontarf 100 Becker Avenue C 1878 Storage In Use Wood
De Graff On a farm east of Clontarf on 20th Avenue NW just north of 45th Street NW
(GPS: 45.363552,-95.624603)
C 1876 Residence None Wood
holloway On a farm east of Clontarf on 20th Avenue NW just north of 45th Street NW
(GPS: 45.363423,-95.625182)
C 1901 Storage None Wood  
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Appleton The earlier Appleton depot.
Benson This station was built in 1906.
Benson This station predated the one above.
Danvers Built in 1898.
Holloway The first station built here was in 1898 with a larger station built in 1901 (see above).
Kerkhoven  
Murdock This was the first station in Murdock. It burned in 1918 and a new station was built.
Murdock  
Swift Falls  
1898 SWIFT COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

Benson (BN) - This station was originally in Benson. When the old Great Northern depot at Litchfield was razed in 1985, this station was moved from Benson to Litchfield as a replacement.

Clontarf (GN) - This station is now part of Johnson Fertilizer. It has been enclosed and heavily modified. It is unrecognizable as a depot now. The station closed in 1901.

DeGraff (GN) - Botht the Degraff and Holloway station are on this site. Half of the Degraff station was torn down and the other half was moved to this farm and became a house. It is virtually unrecognizable as a depot now. Apparently the property was formerly owned by a GN section foreman who moved the building to the property originally. Before a school was built in DeGraff in 1878, classes were held in the depot (probably a station of older vintage than the existing one).