ST. LOUIS COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Date
Built
Current
Use
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
biwabik 6th Avenue South
(GPS: 47.52637,-92.340855)
C ???? Civic In Use Wood  
brookston Corner of 3rd Avenue and 2nd Street South
(GPS: 46.86559,-92.606683)
C 1911 Storage None Wood  
Duluth 506 West Michigan Street (Corner of W. Michigan Street and 5th Avenue West). P 1892 Civic In Use Brick
ely Wilderness Outfitters at 1 East Camp Street (Camp Street at Central Avenue). C ???? Business Gone Wood  
Endion
(Duluth)
East side of Interstate 35 at Lake Place Dr. and Canal Park Dr. on the waterfront. P 1899 Business None Brick
eveleth Cedar Street (South side of CR-101 between CR-141 and CR-142) P ???? Business Gone Stucco  
eveleth About 50 yards west of the passenger station across Industrial Drive F ???? Residence Gone Wood  
floodwood Visitor Center on NE side of US-2 between 8th and 9th Ave.
(GPS: 46.925938,-92.917522)
C ???? Civic None Brick/
Stucco
Fond du lac 13308 West 3rd Street
(GPS: 46.660516,-92.278263)
C 1870 Residence None Wood
hibbing 19th Street (Industrial Street) and 4th Avenue East
(GPS: 47.429437,-92.937942)
P 1903 Business In Use Wood  
Iron Junction Ben Niemi Field Trial Grounds, 5029 Hwy. 7, Mt. Iron MN 47.
(GPS: 47.484936,-92.598529)
C ???? Civic None Wood
orr T. Patten Cafe, 4557 US-53 C ???? Business None Wood  
Payne 8061 County Road 7, just south of Lake Nichols Road on the west side of the tracks.
(GPS: 47.095425,-92.600069)
C ???? Residence In Use Wood  
Saginaw Saginaw Road (County Highway 46) SE of CR-875)
(GPS: 46.85857,-92.44346)
C   Railroad In Use Wood  
Taft One lot north of 6680 Munger-Shaw Road, just north of Bergen Lake Road.
(GPS: 46.995175,-92.331687)
C ???? Vacant None Wood
tower 404 Pine Street C 1915 Museum Gone Wood/
Stucco
 
twig West Haugen Road
(GPS: 46.876671,-92.346284)
C ???? Railroad In Use Metal
virginia 600 Chestnut Street
(GPS: 47.523117,-92.541087)
C 1913 Bank Gone Brick
wilpen Moved to Ironworld Discovery Center at 801 US 169 SW in Chisholm C 1915 Museum In Use Wood
winton 204 Main Street C ???? Post Office None Wood  
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Adolph  
Alborn  
Alborn  
Allen  
Allen Junction Allen Junction was south of Allen Station.
Alice  
Alvina  
Angora  
Arbutus  
Arlberg  
Arthur  
Ash lake  
Aurora  
Baden  
Baden  
Bailey  
Barclay Junction This was just south of Chisholm
Bartlett  
Bengal  
Birch  
Birch  
Biwabik  
Biwabik  
Boat Club This station was between Morgan Park and New Duluth.
Breda
(Brida)
 
Brevator This station was 11 miles NW of Cloquet in Section 17/18 of Brevator Township.
Brewer  
Brimson  
Britt  
Britt The original station.
Brooklyn  
Brookston  
Buhl  
Burnett  
Calyx This place no longer exists. It can be seen on maps from 1914. It was located between Sand Lake and Coon Lake, just to the NW of Silica.
Casco  
Central Lakes  
Chisholm  
Clapper  
Clifton  
Colby  
Congo This station was at the northern end of Maki Road, just east of Paupore on the GN.
Cook
(Ashawa)
The town changed its name to Cook to avoid confusion with Oshawa, MN. The station was on old MN-11 between Owens Avenue and River Street (1941 street names).
Crosley Park This station was on East Superior Street just NE of where South 51st Street (formerly Fahnestock Street) crosses the tracks at GPS: 46.833371, -92.021320.
Culver  
Cusson  
Darrow This station was south of Frederick (see below). It was in the vicinity of CR-442 (Township 56 North, Range 20 West, Section 31)
Davis Both the D&IR and DM&N went through here.
Dewey Lake  
Denham lake  
Draco This station was between Nagonad and Brevator on the St. Louis River (in Section 22 of Brevator Township).
Duluth The old Eastern Minnesota Railway (later merged into the GN) passenger station was on Michigan Street between South 6th Avenue West and South 7th Avenue West (now gone in this location) at approximately GPS: 46.780352, -92.105481. This station is shown on the 1890 city atlas.
DULUTH A freight station was at 630 West Michigan Street, just to the SW of Union Station. This may have been the old Eastern Minnesota Railway passenger station converted to a freight station after the building of Union Station.
Duluth There was an Eastern Minnesota Railway freight station on 8th Avenue at Michigan Street in the vicinity of GPS: 46.779088, -92.107182. This station is shown on the 1890 city atlas.
Duluth
(20th Avenue Depot)
There was an early passenger station at 220 South 20th Avenue West (near where I-35 is today) in the vicinity of GPS: 46.802681, -92.069176.
Duluth There was an early passenger station at 5400 West Wadena Street.
DULUTH A freight station was at 114 S. 5th Avenue West, just to the NE of Union Station. There is a parking deck at this location today.
Duluth There was a freight station at the foot of Commonwealth Avenue near Hudson Boulevard.
Duluth There was a freight house to the SE of Union Station at the foot of 7th Street (now gone) in the vicinity of GPS: 46.778355, -92.101864.
Duluth
(West Duluth)
West Duluth passenger station. The 1893 map shows a St. Paul & Duluth RR station on the east side of North Central Avenue south of Grand Avenue at GPS: 46.739994, -92.165791.
Duluth
(West Duluth)
West Duluth freight station. This was likely across the tracks from the station listed above.
Duluth
(West End Depot)
This station was SE of Grand Avenue between Main Street and South 63rd Avenue West (formerly 8th Avenue). It was located at approximately GPS: 46.733163, -92.175962. The station is shown on the 1890 city atlas as "West End Depot."
Dultuth
(Stowell Station)
This station was on the south side of the tracks at the south end of South Central Avenue at GPS: 46.728441, -92.166753. It was on the St. Paul & Duluth Short Line.
Duluth
(Hazlewood)
This station was on the SW side of 39th Avenue West (formerly Cliff Avenue) on the north side of the tracks at GPS: 46.739994, -92.165791.
Duluth
(Short Line Junction)
This station was off Birch Avenue (now gone) SW of Garfield Avenue in the vicinity of GPS: 46.766580, -92.118092.
Duluth There was a station at the corner of 27th Avenue West and Railroad Street.
Duluth
(Steelton)
There was a freight station at 527 East Gary Street.
Duluth There was a station at 400 South 15th Avenue East.
Duluth There was a station on 47th Avenue East near East Superior Street.
Duluth
(Superior Street)
The 1890 map shows the "Superior Street Station" near the intersection of Alexander Street and 28th Avenue (formerly Connecticut Avenue) in the vicinity of GPS: 46.810919, -92.059528. This station was called the Superior Street Station because it was close to London Road which was formerly called Superior Street before the names were changed.
duluth This station was at 200 5th Avenue West. Also used by the DWP.
Duluth This second generation station was torn down in the 1960s. It was between 4th & 5th Avenues West, but was accessed via the bridge on 5th.
Duluth There was a freight station at 232 5th Avenue West in the vicinity of GPS: 46.781437, -92.101905. It was also used by the DWP.
Duluth There was a freight station at the foot of 8th Avenue West at GPS: 46.777075, -92.103747.
Duluth
(W. Duluth)
This station was at 5431 Grand Avenue at Central Avenue and was torn down in 1961.
duluth This Lake Superior & Mississippi RR freight station was located at 3rd Avenue East and Michigan Street.
duluth This is the first Union Station. The Spalding Hotel is in the background of the photo.
Duluth This station, opened in July, 1910, was located at 602 West Superior Street (GPS: 46.780883, -92.105644). It also served the Duluth, South Shore & Atlantic RR. It was abandoned in 1961 and torn down in 1972. When the Soo Line built the station in 1910 the NP had a lock on the right of way. The Soo was able to sneak its way in, except for a quarter mile or so where the NP tracks were right up against a solid rock bluff. 
The line also had to somehow get around the Bridgeman-Russell Creamery.
Sothe railroad tunneled through solid rock under Michigan Street to get to the depot.
Duluth There was a freight station at the foot of 10th Avenue West.
Duluth
(West Duluth)
This Soo Line/Duluth South Shore & Atlantic station was at the foot of Ramsey Street.
Duluth
(West Duluth)
This was the Soo "West End" depot. It was located at 2902 West Superior Street (GPS: 46.758895, -92.134277). The Clyde Iron Works building is in the background. It was later used as a beer distributorship after its railroad days were over.
Dumblane  
Eagles Nest  
East Lester This station is shown on Roe's 1890 atlas of Duluth in the 1893 supplement section, but at may never have been built. It was shown in the vicinity of GPS: 46.841687, -91.998594. It is shown in the Lester Park 4th Division which was just platted at the time and may not have been developed. The cross streets shown on the map do not exist today.
Elcor
(Elba)
 
Ellsmere  
Elsdon This was the next station north of Cusson.
Embarrass  
Fairbanks
(Bassett Lake)
 
Fens
(Dibbell)
Fens is the name of this location on modern maps.
Fermoy  
Floodwood This was most likely the first station here before the brick and stucco station was built.
Fond Du Lac This is an NP station, but not sure of its vintage.
Forbes The original station here.
forbes This station was on the south side of CR-16 (Town Line Road) on the west side of the tracks.
(GPS: 47.371406,-92.604232). It sat vacant for many years and was torn down sometime between 2012-2014.
Forsman  
Franklin  
Fraser
(Exmoor)
 
Frederick This station was just south of Riley. The location no longer exists. It was in Township 56 North, Range 20 West, Section 18.
French River  
Gheen  
Gilbert  
Glendale  
Gowan This station was on the NE side of U.S. 2 near the intersection of Hingley Road.
Grand Lake  
Haley  
Harris Lake Duluth &
North-
eastern
RR
Eight miles SW of Fairbanks.
hibbing This station was located in the old town of Hibbing before the town was moved in the early 1920s due to encroaching mines. The station was demolished rather than moved and a new station was built at the new site. The first station in Hibbing was a converted boxcar.
Hinsdale  
Holter Trimble This was NE of Mesaba in Section 11.
Hornby  
Hornby Junction This station was eight miles south of Hornby. This was a junction of the D&IR and the D&NE.
Hutter This was somewhere in the west part of Biwabik Township.
Idington  
Iron AKA Iron Junction.
Island  
Jones  
Keenan  
Kelly Lake  
Kelsey  
Kerr  
Kinmount  
Kirk  
Kitzville  
Lakeside  
Lakewoods Also known as Lakewood Station.
Leander  
Leighton This station was in Township 56 North, Range 21 West, Section 9.
Lester Park
(Lakeview)
This location is called "Lakeview" on maps from the early 1900s. The station wason the east side of North 60th Avenue East (formerly Illinois and formerly Lincoln Street) at GPS: 46.837984, -92.008546.
London This station was on East Superior Street at North 47th Avenue (formerly Sargent Street) at GPS: 46.828890, -92.029450. This is shown on Frederick Roe's City of Duluth Atlas from 1890. Does anyone have another picture of this station so I can confirm that the one I have is indeed the correct building?
Lucknow  
Lynwood
(Stuart)
This was in Township 56 North, Range 21 West, Section 29.
Macon Macon was west of Wolf on the NW side of Silver Lake.
Maney  
Mc Comber  
Mc Comber
(Vermillion Trail Lodge Station)
There was a station in McComber itself and this one a few miles away at the Vermillion Trail Lodge. 
Mc Kinley  
Meadowlands  
Melrude  
MerritT Now part of Biwabik, this was on the western shore of Emabarrass Lake.
Mesaba  
Mirbat This station was five miles southeast of Floodwood.
Mitchell  
morgan park This station was on Spirit Lake. According to the book "Morgan Park, Duluth, US Steel and the Forging of a Company Town," by Arnold R Alanen, this station was demolished in 1925. It was primarily used by workers commuting between the Morgan Park steel plant and Duluth. It was located in the vicinity of GPS: 46.686164, -92.207244, next to the original LSM line.   
Morgan park  
Mountain Iron  
Mountain Iron This was the first station built at Mountain Iron. The photo is from 1893.
Munger  
Munger  
Murray  
Nagonab This station was between Draco and Cloquet on the St. Louis River on the south edge (Section 34) of Brevator Township.
New Duluth This station was on East Hudson Boulevard between Herman Avenue and Commonwealth Avenue at approximately GPS: 46.654380, -92.223433.
Nopeming  
Onega  
Orr This was the first station built at Orr.
Palmers  
Paupores  
Payne  
Peary  
PetTit  
proctor Formerly known as Proctor Knott.
Prosit
(Hemlock)
 
Putnam  
Reno  
Rice River This was the next station north of Britt.
Ridge  
Riley  
Rivers  
Riverside This station was between Spring Street and Lenroot Avenue at approximately GPS: 46.706393, -92.206587.
Robinson  
Rollins  
Saginaw The Duluth & Northeastern RR also ran through this town (north/south, with the DM&N running east/west). That line was removed in 1926 and probably did not have a station.
Sax
(Wallace)
Some sources list these as two separate locations, but Sax (or Saxe) appears to be the current name of the location that used to be known as Wallace.
Scott  
Shaw  
Shenango This was two miles SE of Chisholm.
Sherwood  
Silica  
Silver Lake This may be the same station that was also known as Macon (which was was west of Wolf on the NW side of Silver Lake).
Simar  
Sims This was in Township 56 North, Range 21 West, Section 16.
Skibo
(Norman)
This station was located on Main Street.
sparta This station was on the northeast corner of Dorr and Main Streets.
Spirit Lake This station was between Riverside and Morgan Park.
Soudan
(Tower Jct.)
 
Sparta  
Spruce  
Summit  
Taber This station was six miles SE of Angora.
Taft The original station.
Taft The newer station.
Toivola Station This station was at the west end of Arkola Road.
Tower This was the first station at Tower, constructed in 1885. This was the first station built on the D&IR.
tower Junction  The station may been the building in the distance on the left side of the photo.
Twig  
virginia  
Virginia  
Virginia  
Wahlsten  
Wallace  
Walsh This was two stations north of Wahlsten, between Rivers and Tower Junction.
Whiteface  
Wolf  
Wyman
(Allen Station)
Now called Wyman, this was previously known as Allen Station (which is different from, and north of Allen Junction)
Zim  
1898 ST. LOUIS COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

Duluth (Union Station) - See the Duluth Depot site for more information. The train sheds were removed in 1924.

Endion (DM&IR) - Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. Moved from its former location at South Street & 15th Ave East (GPS: 46.799184, -92.076809) in 1985 due to the extension of Interstate 35.

Fond Du Lac (LS&M) - According to a Duluth Herald article by Jack D. Shipley (published Jan. 6, 1981), this Lake Superior & Mississippi RR station was built in 1870 and was moved to 13308 West Third Street. It served as a duplex and then became a restaurant around 1929. It served as The Olde Depot Inn restaurant until 1985 and is now a house. 

Iron Junction (DM&N) - Bought by the Iron Range Retriever Club about 1950 and moved to its current site at the Ben Niemi Field Trial Grounds. 

Taft (DW&P) - I could not confirm that this was the station. Building is up on blocks having been moved to this lot from elsewhere. It is not far from where the Taft station would have been, however it does not match the two older photos of Taft stations listed below in the "Stations Of The Past" table so it is most likely not from here. Does anyone know for sure if this was a station or something else? If it was station, where is it from? --Dan West

Twig (DW&P) - I am not convinced that this was a station as it looks like a modern building. It appears to be used as some sort of chemical loading facility. Does anyone know for sure if this was a station? --Dan West

Virginia (DW&P) - The first building to occupy this site was a library that was built in 1905. The city built a new library in 1913 and sold the building to the railroad. The CN railroad moved the library building and built the Duluth, Winnipeg, and Pacific Railway station on the site. The depot was used by the railroad until the late 1950's when it was converted to a bank. 

Wilpen (DM&IR) - Station moved from Wilpen to Chisholm. Now labeled "Glen" depot.