STEARNS COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Date
Built
Current
Use
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
Albany Stearns County Pioneer Club on 360th Street between MN-238 and CR-10. C 1893 Club None Wood
burtrum
(Todd Co.)
Part of an antique complex off CR-65 between Sauk Center and Melrose (Stearns County).
36079 County Road 65, Sauk Centre.
(GPS: 45.69149663125741,-94.8634859919548)
C ???? Museum None Wood  
cold spring Hennen Tire Service on MN-23 at 5th Avenue (on the NW corner). C ???? ???? None Wood
collegeville Near the intersection of Collegeville and Old Collegeville Road on what is now the bikepath. C ???? Residence None Wood  
eden valley
(Meeker Co.)
Grande Depot Shops, 8318 MN-23 (at I-94), southwest of St. Cloud.
(GPS: 45.516219,-94.281181)
C 1913 Businesses None Wood
freeport In an alley near East Main (CR-157) and 6th Avenue NE
(GPS: 45.661052, -94.682107)
C ???? Vacant None Wood
richmond West end of 2nd Street SW, where it ends at the river and just NW of the water treatment plant
(GPS: 45.452214, -94.525305)
C 1890 Business None Wood
St. Cloud 1715 Breckenridge Ave. (off 5 1/2 Street North). C 1899 Railroad In Use Stone  
sauk center
(Part 1)
Half of station moved to farm northeast of town, 2 miles north of S.R. 28 at 11968 CR-15 in Todd County. C ???? Storage None Wood
Sauk Center
(part 2)
Half of station moved to Little Sauk, 1 block east of US 71 on CR-6 and 1 block south at 15763 221st. Avenue
(GPS: 45.857771,-94.912989)
C ???? Business None Wood  
Sauk center 109 Main Street South
(GPS: 45.739012, -94.95147)
C ???? Business None Wood  
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Albany This may have been the first depot in Albany with a date built of 1888.
Albany  
Avon This station was on the east side of Avon Avenue. There now appears to be a pavilion at this location.
Belgrade This station was between Washburn and Martin Avenues on the south side of the tracks.
Brooten This depot was on Railway Avenue between Central and Pleasant.
Elrosa  
Georgeville  
Greenwald  
Holdingford  
Kimball Prairie This station was on the west side of the southern end of Elm Street.
Melrose This station, the second at Melrose, was on the west side of South 4th Avenue East (formerly Morris Street). It was torn down and used for lumber.
new munich This station was moved to a farm northeast of town after it went out of service, but is now gone.
O'Brien Station This station was in the SW corner of Section 17 in St. Cloud Township. It was along the GN, just to the SE of Waite Park. There were several spurs near the station that led to nearby granite quarries.
paynesville
Station
Built in 1890, this depot was located on the SW side of Desmond Drive (formerly 4th Street). It was later moved to Rice lake where it served as a cottage before buring down in the 1990s.
Paynesville This station was on the east side of Washburn Avenue. Old Paynesville was annexed to New Paynesville in 1904 (when the "Old" and "New" distinctions disappeared). After service, the station was moved to Rice Lake east of Morning Star Resort and served as a cabin. It burned down around 1995-98.
Rockville In 1896, the first station here was just to the NE of the north end of Elm Street. The station closed in 1952.
st. joseph Originally located on College Avenue North, this station was reportedly used by the Boy Scouts after being retired, but was subsequently torn down.
Roscoe
(Zion)
 
Sauk Center This appears to be an older station that predated the one that still exists.
St. Augusta  
Stiles This station was on the western edge of Section 11 of Ashley Township west of Sauk Center on the NP.
1898 STEARNS COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

Albany (GN) - The original location of the station was on Church Avenue east of 5th Street. It was on the south side of the tracks. Station was moved to Pioneer Grounds in 1972.

Cold Spring (GN) - Building has been heavily modified.

Eden Valley (Soo Line) - Moved in 1976 to Roscoe for a short time and then on to Saint Cloud in Stearns County. The original location of this depot was on the west side of State Street in Eden Valley. The original Eden Valley Soo depot burned June 19, 1913 and this was built later that year as a replacement.

Freeport (GN) - The original location of this station was about a block east of 1st Avenue.

Richmond (GN) - This station was originally located on the east side of St. Francis Street. (What is this street called now?) 

Sauk Center (GN) - This station was originally located on the NW side of Grove Lake Avenue. Two brothers bought the station and sawed it in half to reporpose each part on their respective properties.