MEEKER COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Date
Built
Current
Use
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
Cokato
(Dassel)
Old Depot Museum at 651 Parker Avenue West (US 12) in Dassel. C 1913 Museum None Wood
cosmos 540 Milky Way Boulevard
(GPS: 44.931231,-94.697177)
C ???? Storage Gone Metal  
darwin Corner of North 1st Street and William Street
(GPS: 45.096373, -94.409953)
C ???? Museum None Wood
Dassel 72777 185th Street, south of Dassel
(GPS: 45.014832,-94.301684)
C ???? Residence None Wood  
Eden Valley Grande Depot Shops, 8318 MN-23 (at I-94), southwest of St. Cloud in Stearns County.
(GPS: 45.516219,-94.281181)
C 1913 Restaurant None Wood
grove city Moved to CR 39/20 just north of 395th Street (in the very NW corner of Union Grove Township) C ???? Residence None Wood
litchfield
(Benson)
Sibley Avenue South between West Depot and West Darwin Streets (GPS: 45.125937, -94.529167) C ???? Railroad In Use Wood
Litchfield 19871 612th Avenue
(GPS: 45.035675, -94.539993)
C ???? Residence None Wood
Litchfield 212 North Marshall Street
(GPS: 45.128053, -94.526370)
C ???? Residence None Wood
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Cedar Mills This depot was sold and moved to a farm about 2 miles east of town. The owner was a collector of old buildings, none of which he maintained, and once he died, the property was sold, everything unfortunately razed and a new house built. 
Corvuso  
Dassel According to 1897 maps, the original Dassel depot was located on Pacific Avenue between 3rd and 4th Streets. The station that is still standing is the second station that was built here.
Eden Valley The original Minneapolis & Pacific (later Soo) station was built around 1886 and burned down June 19, 1913.
Litchfield The original station here was on the west side of South Sibley Avenue on the south side of the tracks at GPS: 45.125803, -94.528377. This station was built when the tracks were laid in the 1860's. It partially burned in a fire in 1899, but stayed in use until about 1901 when the new station (listed below) was built. It is likely that this station was cut in two parts and still exists as two different buildings as listed above in the "Existing Stations" list.
Litchfield This station replaced the original frame station sometime in the early 1900s. It was in essentially the same location as the original station, but a bit more to the west of South Sibley Street at GPS: 45.125869, -94.528715.
Watkins This station was on the west side of Meeker Avenue (which used to cross the tracks). It sat between the main tracks and the siding.
1898 MEEKER COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

Cokato (Great Northern) - Moved from Cokato in Wright County to the Old Depot Railroad Museum in Dassel in 1985.

Darwin (Great Northern) - The original location of this depot was on the west side of 1st Street on the north side of the tracks.

Eden Valley (Soo Line) - Moved in 1976 to Roscoe for a short time and then on to Saint Cloud in Stearns County. The original location of this depot was on the west side of State Street in Eden Valley. The original Eden Valley Soo depot burned June 19, 1913 and this was built later that year as a replacement.

Grove City (Great Northern) - The original location of this station (according to an 1897 map) was on Atlantic Avenue between 2nd and 3rd Streets. Valley.

Litchfield (BN) - This station was originally in Benson (Swift Co.). When the old Great Northern depot at Litchfield was razed in 1985, this station was moved here.

Litchfield (GN - Now Two Buildings) - The old Litchfield depot (possibly the original 1869 structure) was cut in two and both parts were moved into town to be used as houses. One later went to the lake as a cabin at 612th Avenue, the other was moved to 212 North Marshall in town and never moved again. The original station caught fire around 1900 and was replaced by the brick station in 1901. Both parts would combine to about the right length based on old photos of the original station. According to a docent at the museum, the owner of the part that is at the lake claims some of the rafters in the roof of her house are charred.