KOOCHICHING COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Date
Built
Current
Use
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
grand falls ???? C ???? Residence In Use Wood  
international falls 301 Second Avenue
(GPS: 48.602516, -93.401898)
C 1947 Civic In Use Brick
Little Fork Relocated to a farm north of Little Fork at the dead end of UT 249, #5375 (the driveway going NW). (GPS: 48.42136, -93.55371) C 1909 Private None Wood
Margie Deer Road C ???? Hunting
Cabin
None Wood  
Ranier Main Street at Spruce Street
(GPS: 48.614767, -93.349267)
C ????  Railraod In Use Wood  
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Big Falls  
Craig This station was on the north bank of the Big Fork River. It serviced a logging camp known as Camp 29, and Craig was the town that serviced that camp. Craig was also the terminus of the MD&W's Deer River Line, which ran between Littlefork and Craig, about 30 miles. The other part of Craig was south of the Big Fork River and served by the Minneapolis & Rainy River Railway. There was to be a wooden trestle built across the Big Fork River connecting the two rail lines. However, the building materials for the trestle were delivered to the south bank of the Big Fork River and it was never built (the materials subsequently sat there and rotted). So the two parts of Craig remained seperated by rail.
Craig
The town of Craig was in Koochiching County and the village was on both sides of the Big Fork River. About a half mile south of the river is the county line between Koochiching and Itasca. On the Itasca side of the line was a general store, MacAffee's, and a few residences. This area was known as Craigville (or Craigsville). The M&RR did make at stop at MacAffee's in Craigville when they first extended the line north and had a wye there, but there was no stand-alone station there. They soon extended all of the way to the river at Craig in anticipation of connecting with the Backus Line, and built a depot at Craig. Around the 1930s, Craigville kind of disappeared as the few folks there moved away. Craig still had some activity until about the mid 1970s when the last two saloons closed and the few remaining residents moved away. The few remaining buildings were mysteriously burned around 1980 and there is no visible clue today that there was once a thriving town there. Today the area locals use the terms Craig and Craigville interchangeably to refer to the townsite on the river in Koochiching County and most are not aware that Craigville was actually a separate settlement just a bit south of Craig.
Ericsburg  
Falls Junction  
Gemmell  
International
Falls
 
Little Fork According to a local source, this station was moved and used as a house for an elderly couple on property owned by a timber company. After the couple passed away, the company demolished the building.
Loman Loman was the starting point for which the MD&W had grand plans to extend into North Dakota for its vast crops of wheat. There was to be a large flour mill to be built in International Falls, which never came to fruition, so the terminaus westward for the MD&W ended up being at Loman.
Margie  
Mizpah  
Nakota  
Northome  
Northome  
Ranier  
ranier  
Ray  
Ridge  
Rockton
(Rockton Spur)
This town and station were about the mid-point along the Deer River Line between Littlefork and Craig. When the MD&W stopped its linehaul logging operations in 1947, and the rail was taken up, Rockton Spur was where the flat cars carrying the rail, along with other MD&W equipment, were parked and left. The Iron Horse Central Rail Museum has found MD&W caboose #207 parked in that area, and is currently in the process of restoring it. 
Wisner  
1898 KOOCHICHING COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
KOOCHICHING COUNTY WAS PART OF ITASCA COUNTY UNTIL 1906.
Notes About Existing Stations...

International Falls (NP) - Houses the International Falls Chamber of Commerce.

Little Fork (M&I) - The station was built 1909 after the NP passed through town. It was sold in 1972 by BN to Frank Porkony and moved to his farm.