FREEBORN COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Date
Built
Current
Use
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
Albert Lea 606 South Broadway Street
(GPS: 43.644686,-93.36937)
P 1914 Business In Use Brick  
albert lea Corner of Mill Street and South Pearl
(GPS: 43.644065,-93.371859)
F ???? Storage In Use Wood  
albert lea SE of US 65 near Clark Street
(GPS: 43.649367,-93.361119)
P ???? Railroad In Use Brick  
Albert Lea 625 West Main (under the Main Street viaduct off Ermina Avenue)
(GPS: 43.647434,-93.376268)
C ???? Business Gone Brick  
conger 14740 720th Street (CR 71) just north of U.S. 69 in Twin Lakes C ???? Residence None Wood  
oakland In Austin at Mower Co. Fairgrounds off 12th Street SW C 1886 Museum None Wood
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Albert Lea  
Albert Lea A freight station.
Albert Lea In 1874 this station was on the east side of Madison Avenue on the south side of the tracks (across the tracks from the existing freight station).
Albert Lea This was an earlier station. It also included a hotel that was called the Bunker House and later was called the Winslow House. This station was located in roughly the same spot as the existing M&St.L station is. There was a freight house to the south.
Alden An earlier station. This station was on the west side of Broadway on the south side of the tracks.
Alden A later station.
Armstrong  
Clarks Grove This station was built by the Burlington, Cedar Rapids & Northern at the town site of Dorwart (which was one mile south of Clarks Grove). It was moved to Clarks Grove when residents resisted that site for the town.
Curtis Junction
AND
Curtis Junction was in the vicinity of South Brodway and West 7th Street in Albert Lea.
Emmons This station was originally built one mile south in Norman, Iowa and was moved to Emmons in 1904 after a Supreme Court ruling in February of that year. The case centered around whether railroads were obliged to construct a depot at every village on a line. The court affirmed the law that required that and the station was moved to near the state line. --See MINN. & ST. LOUIS R. R. CO. v. MINNESOTA, 193 U.S. 53 (1904)
Freeborn This station was built for the Duluth, St. Cloud, Glencoe & Mankato RR (a.k.a. The Alphabet Line, a.k.a. The Bug Line) which was sold to the CM&St.P in 1907.
GlEnville The station was on the south side of the tracks on the block bordered by 2nd Avenue NW, 3rd Avenue NW,  1st Street NW and 2nd Street NW (GPS: 43.574358, -93.282734). There was a siding that wrapped around the south side of the station as well. This is shown on the 1938 aerial photo of the town.
Glenville This station was on the northeast side of the tracks along U.S. 65 at the west end of main street where the grain elevator is today at GPS: 43.573442, -93.286820.
gordonsville There are reports that this station still stands after being moved to Northwood, IA where it is being used as a garage (see photo). If that is the station building it has been heavily altered and is unrecognizeable. The owner clains that he was informed that it was the station and he has the ticket window that was in the building.
Hartland Most likely the first generation station here.
Hartland Most likely the second generation station here.
Hayward  
Hollandale Hollandale was served by a 6-mile branch line off the Rock Island. It was also served by a similar branch off the Milwaukee Road. The Rock Island depot was still standing as of the late 1980s on the north side of town.
Hollandale  
London  
Manchester This station burned in 1914, killing the depot agent Mrs. Irene Coleman. According to a newspaper report, murder was suspected and the depot was burned to cover up the crime.
Myrtle  
Twin lakes  
1898 FREEBORN COUNTY RAILROAD MAP