DAKOTA COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Date
Built
Current
Use
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
dahlgren
(Carver Co.)
Dakota County Fairgrounds
4008 220th Street West, Farmington
C ???? Museum None Wood
federal dam
(cass co.)
  Little Log House Pioneer Village
220th Street, Hastings
C 1908 Museum None Wood
hastings Corner of East 2nd and Bailly Streets near lift bridge. C ???? Railroad In Use Brick  
orchard
gardens
CR 5 and West
155th Street
P 1910 Private In Use Wood  
randolph   On the north side of 292nd Street East, on the east side of the CGW tracks. Sits back from the road behind a farm implement store. C ???? Residence In Use Stucco  
Red Wing
(Goodhue Co.)
Little Log House Pioneer Village
220th Street, Hastings
F ???? Muesum None Wood
rosemount NE corner of CR 42 and MN 3 P ???? Museum In Use Wood  
vermillion 110 North Park Street C 1881 Residence None Wood
webster
(rice co.)
Little Log House Pioneer Village
220th Street, Hastings
C 1900 Museum None Wood
zumbrota
(goodhue co.)
Little Log House Pioneer Village
220th Street, Hastings
F ???? Museum None Wood  
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Castle Rock This station was north of 280th Street West, on the east side of the tracks.
Empire In 1896 there was a CGW station here at the corner of Vermillion and 2nd Streets (no idea where that location is today). Was there also a CM&St.P station here later?
Etter  
Eureka Center Station was on corner of County Road 80 and Cedar Avenue. The current Eureka Town Hall is across the street from where the station was located.
farmington This station was located at 400 2nd Street (at the corner with Oak Street). It was built in 1894, put on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979, and torn down in 1984.
Fort Snelling According to 1896 maps, there was a station for Fort Snelling near what is now the Mendota Bridge. A RR bridge was here previously that held a line that curved out of Mendota and up toward the fort. I believe the station was on what is now called Picnic Island.
Hampton This station was at the corner of Water and Main Streets, on the east side of the tracks.
Hastings An earlier wooden station existed here in roughly the same location as the existing station on 2nd Street. There was a roundhouse directly to the SW of the station (shown on 1896 maps). Not sure if this was the original hastings & Dakota station (listed below) or if it was a CM&St.P vintage wooden station.
Hastings Hastings
&
Dakota
This was the first station in Hastings.
Inver Grove In 1896, this station was located off 66th Street East near Concord Blvd. (MN 56).
lakeville This station was at the corner of Front and Main Streets. The downtown area has changed quite a bit since the tracks ran through, but Main Street is now called Holyoke and Front Street is now Upper 208th Street West. That puts the former location of the station at approximately GPS: 44.647862, -93.243229.
Lewiston There may have been a joint station here as the CM&St.P and MSt.L ran parallel through town.
Lewiston  
Mendota There was a station off what is now Sibley Memorial Highway at the NE edge of town (out to the NE of G Street). A later station was erected in 1913.
Mendota  
Mendota  
Nicols This station was near where Nicols road (formerly Cedar Avenue) crosses the tracks today. It was built in 1913.
Oakland
Station
This town, which no longer exists, was near where US 52/MN 55 crosses the tracks south of Inver Grove Trail.
Randolph
AND

AND
At one time there was a union station here. It was a backward L-shaped station in the northwest corner of the CGW/MSt.L diamond. This was between Dixie Avenue and Divers Path (formerly called Dakota Avenue).
Rich Valley This station was north of 140th Street on the east side of the tracks.
rosemount This station was near the intersection of Main and Maple Streets. All the street names have change here, does anyone know what this location is today?
Savage This building has collapsed, but the remains are located about 80 yards south of MP 28 (South of MN 13 at ROW) (GPS: 44.776569, -93.348494).
South St. Paul This station was on the southwest corner of Grand Avenue East and New Concord Street North, directly south of Livestock Exchange building.
Vermillion  
weichselbaum resort
(lakeville)
This resort was off what is now 205th Street.
Wescott The station was on the northeast side of the tracks near the main intersection.
1898 DAKOTA COUNTY RAILROAD MAP 
Notes About Existing Stations...

Dahlgren (CMStP&P) - This station was originally from Dahlgren in Carver County, but has been moved twice. It was moved Lakeville first and then to Farmington at the Dakota County Fairgrounds which is the site of "Dakota City."

Federal Dam (Soo Line) - This station originated in Federal Dam (Cass County) and was built in 1908 by the Soo Line Rail Road. The Soo Line Rail Road was shut down after World War II and the building was moved to an Indian Reservation with plans for renovation. The plans fell through and the depot was sold to a private individual from Boy River (Cass County). The depot was moved again to Boy River, Minnesota with the idea of making a restaurant out of the building. Once again, the plans fell through. The building sat vacant until 1998 when it was moved to the Little Log House Pioneer Village.

Red Wing (Express Agency) - This express agency depot was originally next to the brick CGW station in Red Wing. 

Vermillion (CMStP&P) - This station was moved from its original location.

Webster (CMStP&P) - This station was moved from its original location to Little Oscar's Cafe on US 52 in Hampton where it was for a number of years. The former owner of the cafe, Oscar Palrud, was well-known railroad buff from Faribault who traveled all over the world via rail. Around 2008-09 it was moved to Little Log House Pioneer Village.