CROW WING COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Date
Built
Current
Use
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
brainerd 8th Street & Front Street F ???? Business Gone Brick  
crosby Cuyuna Range Historical Society Museum, 101 1st Street NE C 1910 Museum In Use Brick  
lake hubert CR 13 C 1896 Display Gone Wood
nisswa Main Street C 1907 Museum Gone Wood  
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Barrows The depot was located on 1st Street (now called Depot Street).
Brainerd The first station here was built in 1871.
brainerd This was the second station. It was built in 1872 and also was used as an office building. It burned down in 1917. It was on the east side of North 6th Street near Front Street. The station was controversial because it was 1.5 times the size of the station that was just built and the railroad at that time was financially strapped.
brainerd The second station here was built in 1921.
Brainerd  
Crow Wing This was a combination depot/store. It was located between Barrows and Lenox just off MN-371.
Deerwood This station was located off East Front between Maple and Archibald. It was built in 1872 and burned in 1915.
Deerwood A brick station was constructed in 1916. It was torn down in 1987.
Deerwood There was also a freight house here.
Deerwood Located at the southern end of 5th Avenue at CR 10, this station was moved to Riverton in 1922.
cuyuna  
Fort Ripley This station sat along Front Street between South and Main Avenues.
Iron Hub The station was north of town between Villa and Home Streets (not sure if the town exists anymore, let alone these streets).
Ironton
AND
Probably built whent he town was founded around 1911. The Soo and NP shared iron ore operations in the area.
Jenkins This station was on the north side of Lilac Street at Front Street.
Klondyke  
Leaks This station was three miles north of Brainerd and was named after John Leaks who was an engineer on the M&I.
loerch This station was on the east side of Dullum Road (55th Ave.), on the south side of the tracks.
Lenox Station  
Merrifield This station was on what is now Train Bell Road. In 1913 it's exact location was adjacent to the western edge of the property owned by Mrs. L.J. Van Doren. It was on the east side of the tracks.
Oreland  
Pequot This station was on the north side of East Main Street. It was on the east side of the tracks.
Riverton  
1898 CROW WING COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

Deerwood (Soo Line) - The original location of this station was at the southern end of 5th Avenue at CR 10.

Lake Hubert (Brainerd & Northern MN) - The line here was originally a 42-mile narrow-gauge logging line owned by the Northern Mill Company that ran from Brainerd to Spider Lake. The Brainerd & Northern Minnesota purchased the line in 1894 and switched the line to standard gauge between Brainerd and Lake Hubert. The line was bought by the Minnesota & International (later NP) in 1901.  The platform with roof and baggage shed was restored in 1969. The location changed its name from "Hubert Station" to "Lake Hubert" in 1928.