WESTMORELAND  COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Current
Use
Date
Built
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
Belle Vernon 99 First Street
(GPS: 40.127598, -79.874816)
P Residence ???? In Use Brick
Bolivar At the bend in McKinley Street
(GPS: 40.396679, -79.148687)
C ???? ???? In Use Wood
Darlington Idlewild Hill Road, west end of Idlewild Park P Museum ???? Gone Wood
Greensburg Harrison Avenue & Ehalt Street
(GPS: 40.304559,-79.546852)
P Restaurant/
Railroad
1911 In Use Brick  
Greensburg Ludwig & Depot Streets
(GPS: 40.304534,-79.555864)
F Business ???? In Use Brick  
Idlewild Park Inside Idlewild Park P Park Bldg. 1870s Gone ????  
Latrobe McKinley Street P Restaurant ???? In Use Brick  
Latrobe Depot Street F Railroad 1950s In Use Concrete  
Ligonier 339 Main Street P Government 1910 Gone Stone  
Ligonier 339 Main Street, behind passenger station F Business ???? Gone Wood  
New Kensington Barnes Street and 9th Street F Business ???? In Use Brick  
Oakville
(Latrobe)
East Harrison & East Grant Streets near Lincoln Avenue, Latrobe P Residence ???? Gone Wood
Scottdale 25 South Broadway
(GPS: 40.099316, -79.587312)
P Railroad 1998 In Use Wood
Slickville Railroad Avenue C ???? 1912 Gone Brick  
Trafford ???? F Business ???? In Use Wood  
Vandergrift 77 Washington Avenue P Business 1910 In Use Brick  
Vandergrift Washington Avenue F Business 1910 In Use Brick  
Vandergrift Washington Avenue F Business 1910 ???? Brick  
West Newton Vine Street C Railroad 1893 In Use Wood  
Youngwood Depot Street P Museum 1902 In Use Brick  
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Adamsburg
Station
 
Allsworth
(Salemville)
On the New Alexandria Branch.
Alverton  
Apollo
(Paulton)
(West Apollo)
This combination passenger/freight station was near where Orr Avenue meets PA66 at approximately GPS: 40.577864, -79.569225. In the late 1890s an new station was built here next to the original station and this new station became a passenger-only station with the station across the river in Apollo (Armstrong Co.) serving as the freight station. According to the 1904 map, both the old station and the new station co-existed for a brief time with the old station serving as storage. The original station was gone by the time the 1909 map was published. This station was also called Paulton for some time.
Ardara  
Armstrong Station  
Arnold Station  
Arona  
AvonmorE Station The passenger station was across the river from Avonmore in Armstrong County in what was then called North Avonmore. The location was at the end of the present bridge where the road is now. During the early 1950s the tracks were realigned all the way from Blairsville to Salina during the construction of Conemaugh Dam. The old road bed is the current road to the coal loading facility owned by Rosebud Coal. There was a freight station in the borough of Avonmore but no passenger station. The borough of Avonmore was accessed by a spur.
Beatty There was a station here as early as 1851 when the PRR opened a section of line between here and Lockport. At the same time the PRR opened a western section of the line between Pittsburgh and Brinton Station (East Pittsburgh). A stagecoach was used to connect the two sections of line carrying passengers via the turnpike road from Brinton to Beatty. A new station was built here in 1867 (likely that is the one pictured).
Bethany  
Belle Vernon The first station here was near the corner of Water and First Streets in the lot adjacent to the existing station at GPS: 40.127681, -79.875064. This old station is shown on the Sanborn maps from 1895-1910. On the 1900 map, it is labeled as the Erie Hotel (likely a mistake). The photo shows it as the station during a flood in 1907. The new station was built between 1910-1918. Both the old station and new were/are in Fayette County as they are a couple blocks south of the Westmoreland County line.
Bells Station  
Blairsville Intersection  
Bluestone PW&S
RR
The Pittsburgh, Westmoreland & Summit Railroad began in 1899, but the full route from Ligonier to Somerset only operated for ten years (1906-1916).
Bolivar In 1876 the first station here was at the end of Washington Street on the north side of the tracks.
Bradenville
(St. Clair City)
 
Buena Vista Station  
Byers
(Rector)
PW&S
RR
Also known as Mechanicsburg, now known as Rector
Carneys Station This station was between Beatty and Donohoe. It was located near where Carney and Buffenmyer roads used to cross the tracks.
Carpenter's Station Now known as Ardara, a station is shown here on the 1876 map.
Chartiers Station
(Burrell P.O.)
This station was in the vicinity of Lowe Road north of Edgecliff Road.
Conemaugh Furnace Station This station, as shown on the 1876 map, was located near the northern edge of St. Clair Township at approximately GPS: 40.415326,-79.003973. No road exist to this location today. A new station was built here in 1864.
County Junction Station  
County Home Station Listed as "County Poor House Station" on the 1876 map.
Cowansburg  
Derry Thhis station was located next to the old overhead bridge that carried Chestnut Street across the PRR mainline and yards and lasted into the 1960's.
Donohoe This station sat between the tracks between where Donohoe Road crosses the tracks to the east and Twin Lakes Road crosses to the west. The subway and stairs that led up to the station are still there. They can be accessed from a trail on Donohoe Road just to the east of Leone Street.
Douglass  
Eisaman Station  
Fosterville Going south out of Greensurg the stations in 1876 were Huff's Station, County Poor House Station, Fosterville Station, and then Youngwood.
Garver's Ferry STation This station was on the west bank of the Allegheny River in Allegheny Township. The stations along the river from south to north in this township in 1876 were Kerns, McKean, Garvers Ferry, and Kiskiminetas Junction.
George Station A station is shown here in 1876. It was located on what is now called George Station Road.
Grapeville
Station
 
Gray Not to be confused with the Gray NYC station in Clearfield County. The first station here was a three-sided shelter-type waiting room on Gray Station road on the east side of the tracks at GPS: 40.395829, -79.240300. It was replaced by the brick station listed below in 1915.
Gray This brick station was built in 1915 and torn down in 1955 after passenger service ended the year before. It was on the west side of the tracks on the south side of Gray Station Road at GPS: 40.395829, -79.240300.
Greensburg This was the first PRR station in Greensburg, built in 1983 and torn down in 1909 to make way for the raising of the tracks in this area in 1910. The tunnel in the photo goes under Main Street. It was in approximately the same location as the existing station.
Greensburg The 1876 map shows a freight house on the south side of the tracks between Depot Street and Lumbeart Avenue (GPS: 40.304363,-79.554534).
Greensburg
(East Greensburg)
This Southwestern Branch passenger station was on the north side of East Pittsbugh Street on the east side of the tracks (GPS: 40.303594,-79.536467). It is shown on the 1876 map.
Greensburg
(South Greensburg)
See listing for Huff's Station below.
Guffey's Station  
Helena Station This station was SE of Salina just north of the intersection of PA 981 and Substation Road.
Herminie  
Hill Side This station was near where Hillside Road crosses the grade. A station is shown here on the 1876 map.
Huff's Station
(South Greensburg)
This station is shown on the 1876 map. It was located near where Huff Avenue is today in South Greensburg.
Hunker's Station This station was in the NW corner of East Huntingdon Township and is shown on the 1876 map.
Huston Station This station was between the river and what is now Old River Hill Road (was this road the old RR grade?) at approximately GPS: 40.369926,-79.107957 in the SW corner of St. Clair Township. It is shown on the 1876 map.
Hyde Park This station was on the south side of Main Street on the east side of the tracks at GPS: 40.633014, -79.590331.
Irwin The first station here was on the south side of the tracks on the north side of the river. Originally the station was accessed by a bridge at the north end of Oak Street that crossed the river. The station was approximately here: GPS: 40.33459,-79.708243. When the tracks followed the river more closely in the early years, there was a freight house to the SE of the original passenger station.
Irwin There was a second generation station here. Does anyone have details of its location and final disposition?
Irwin The third and final passenger station here was built in 1900 and was used until the end of commuter service (Pittsburgh to Derry, PA) in November 1964. Torn down by Conrail at a later date. This was a PRR class W4 Station. It was on the west side of Main Street/Washington Avenue on the north side of the PRR main line (GPS: 40.33547,-79.709743).
Jacob's Creek  
Jacob's creek  
Jones Mill Indian
Creek
Valley RR
This was the terminus of the ICVRR. It was built in 1908-1910. It was acquired by the B&O in 1927, abandoned 1965 Jones Mill to Roaring Run, and abandoned 1972 Roaring Run to Indian Creek Jct.
Jeannette  
Kerns Station This station was on the west bank of the Allegheny River in Allegheny Township. The stations along the river from south to north in this township in 1876 were Kerns, McKean, Garvers Ferry, and Kiskiminetas Junction.
kINGSTON  
Kiskiminetas Junction
AND
This junction was first known by two names. On the Allegheny Valley it was known as West Penn Junction, while on the Western Pennsylvania RR it was known as Allegheny Valley Junction. In the photo, you can see parts of the signs boards that have those names. Later the name was changed to Kiskiminetas Junction and later shortened to Kiski Junction.
Kiski Junction This newer brick PRR station was at GPS: 40.677430, -79.666289.
Larimer  
Latrobe The original station was located in the Gilchrist House, also known as the Clifford House Hotel.  The station was located in the hotel until the tracks were elevated in the early 1900's, when the present 1903 structure was built.
Latrobe This picture was identified as Latrobe. Does anyone know if this station was in or around Latrobe? Could this have been Loyalhanna Station? Is it the Latrobe Ligonier Valley RR station?

Bob Netzlof writes: "I have no idea where that station was, but I'm quite certain it was not the Latrobe station of the Ligonier Valley. Before the tracks were raised, the LVRR had a station tucked away in the corner of Alexandria and Railroad Streets. Were that the station in the picture, one would see houses or the main line of the PRR, and one would not see a through track, as the LV track ended at that station. Later, after the trackes were raised, the LV used a track between the PRR team tracks and the eastbound passenger platform and had no station of their own. Looking again, I think the tracks are narrow gauge. I had a bright idea, perhaps the station is in Latrobe California, or Latrobe, West Virginia. Alas, if the tracks really are narrow gauge, that idea is shot down. Latrobe CA was located on the Sacramento and Placerville RR which according to the ICC valuation report was a standard gauge railroad. Latrobe WV is on the Chesapeake and Ohio, also not narrow gauge. Further, Latrobe WV is down in a narrow valley, quite unlike the picture. So, I have to conclude that whoever said the station in question was Latrobe was simply mistaken."
Latrobe This station was at the corner of Alexandria and Railroad Streets. The LVRR used the PRR Latrobe station after the PRR tracks were elevated in the early 1900s.
Leechburg
(W. Leechburg)
The second passenger station for Leechburg, was actually located across the Kiski River from Leechburg, in West Leechburg, Westmoreland County. The station was called Leechburg by PRR and was reached by the bridge that is shown in the picture. The foundation concrete and brick walks are still visible. The specific location was Bridge Street, West Leechburg. This station was built around 1904 after a flood destroyed the RR bridge at the eastern end of Leechburg, thus cutting off the town and its original 1887 station (which is still standing).
Ligonier PW&S
RR
The Pittsburgh, Westmoreland & Summit Railroad began in 1899, but the full route from Ligonier to Somerset only operated for ten years (1906-1916).
Ligonier
(Market Street)
PW&S
RR
 
Ligonier
(Mellon's Crossing)
PW&S
RR
 
Ligonier
(Speedwell)
PW&S
RR
 
Livermore There was a station shown here on the 1876 map.
Livermore Livermore was on the PRR between Blairsville and Tunnelton. It was 3 miles west of Blairsville and 2.5 miles east of Tunnelton. The town was razed in the early 1950's to make way for the Conemaugh River dam and lake, a flood control project on the Conemaugh River. The town site is now under the waters of the Conemaugh River Lake reservoir. The 1945 PRR timetable shows no passenger station there, so it was probably out of service before then. The station pictured was the second station in Livermore as I have seen postcards of the station titled "the new station."
Lockert Station This station, shown on the 1876 map was less than a mile north of Arnold Station.
Lockport There was a station here as early as 1851 when the PRR opened a section of line between here and Beatty.
Longbridge Built in 1877.
Loyalhanna  
Manor  
McKean Station This station was on the west bank of the Allegheny River in Allegheny Township. The stations along the river from south to north in this township in 1876 were Kerns, McKean, Garvers Ferry, and Kiskiminetas Junction.
Millbank Originally known as Coal Pit Station.
Millwood
(NEw Derry)
 
Monessen  
Moore's Station  
Mt. Pleasant  
Mt. Pleasant An original station on the Mt. Pleasant & Broadford RR.
New Alexandria  
New Florence This station was on the west side of North Ligonier Street on the north side of the tracks at GPS: 40.380318, -79.075462.
New Florence According to the Indiana Gazette (Nov. 16, 1911), a small new waiting room type station was built here in 1911 due to the fact that trains were stopping about 1/4 mile from the existing depot. This new station was favorable for passengers during incelement weather.
New Kensington  
New Stanton
(Paintersville)
Paintersville was the first station here and then that village was merged with New Stanton (formerly Stanton). A Paintersville station is shown on the 1876 map.
Ninevah Station
(Verona)
A station is shown here in 1876. Now known as Seward/Hooverville.
North West Station According to the 1876 map, this station was NW of Larimer Road near the old North West Coal Works.
Osborne  
Parnassus The first station here was a combination hotel/post office/depot. It is shown on the 1876 map.
Penn The station was on the west side of Harrison Avenue. On the 1916 map a freight station is shown here on the south side of the tracks (GPS: 40.328483, -79.642139) with a small passenger waiting shelter on the north side.
Radebaugh A station is shown here on the 1876 atlas, but it is not named. It was near the intersection of SR 4002 and SR 4004.
Ridgeview Park  
Robbin's Station  
Ruffs Dale  
Salina Station  
Scottdale This station was on South Broadway between Pittsburgh and Market Streets on the NW side of the tracks at GPS: 40.099876, -79.587166. It was built in 1882. Prior to that, there was no station building here, just an open platform.
Scottdale The freight station was just south of the passenger station at the intersection of South Broadway and Market Streets at GPS: 40.099467, -79.587355.
Seward  
Shafton  
Shaner's Station
(youghioheny P.O.)
 
Sinclair Station  
Smithton In 1876 there was a Pittsburgh & Connellsville station here that was a combination depot/store.
Smithton  
Snyders Station This was the first station south of West Newton. It is shown on the 1876 map.
Stewartsville  
Stewart's Station On the 1876 map this station was located in what is now Trafford where Stewart Street used to cross the tracks (now there is an underpass).
Sutersville
(Sutter Station)
 
Tarentum Station In 1876 this station was at the ferry to Tarentum near where the bridge to Tarentum is today.
Tarr's Station  
Torrence A new station was built here in 1864.
Trafford  
Trafford
(North Trafford)
This station was about 1.5 miles north of the Trafford station.
Water Station PW&S
RR
The Pittsburgh, Westmoreland & Summit Railroad began in 1899, but the full route from Ligonier to Somerset only operated for ten years (1906-1916).
West Newton  
West Newton  
1895 WESTMORELAND COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

Belle Vernon (PMcK&Y) - This station is actually in Fayette County as it is just a couple blocks from the Westmoreland County line.

Bolivar (PRR) - This appears to be the Bolivar station after heavy modification (removal of the platforms and eaves). The old Sanborn maps show the building at this location. Or, this may be a more modern freight station at the same location as the old combination station. There was a canopy and waiting room between the tracks on a platform that extended over the Lincoln Street underpass. It was at GPS: 40.396968, -79.149520. Part of the platform remains there as of 2015. Can someone provide me with a recent photo?

Darlington (Ligonier Valley) - This station was formerly used as a residence, but is now a museum for the Ligonier Valley Railroad Association. It has been restored and you can read about it on Ligonier Valley Railroad Association site.

Oakville (Ligonier Valley) - Oakville is now part of Latrobe, but used to be separate.

Scottdale (Replica) - This is a new building, but is built in a traditional depot style just south of the location of the original passenger station.