VENANGO  COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Current
Use
Date
Built
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
Franklin 1215 Railroad Street
(GPS: 41.394969, -79.831505)
P Vacant ???? Gone Brick  
Franklin Elm Street between 11th and 12th Streets
(GPS: 41.394241, -79.830501)
F Business ???? Gone Wood
Franklin
Station
East end of US 322 bridge, across Allegheny River from Franklin
(GPS: 41.388933, -79.817413)
F Business ???? Gone Wood
Oil City East side of Elm Street
(GPS: 41.433348, -79.707415)
P Railroad ???? In Use Brick
Petroleum
Centre
Old Petroleum Center Road in Oil Creek State Park
(GPS: 41.518316, -79.683183)
P Railroad 1988 In Use Wood  
Reno South side of US 62
(GPS: 41.407781, -79.749906)
C Vacant ???? In Use Brick
Rynd Farm Old Bankson Road off Route 8 1/2 mile north of Rouseville
(GPS: 41.483618, -79.691327)
P Railroad 1989 In Use Wood  
Utica East side of 3rd Street at bridge
(GPS: 41.438314, -79.954954)
P Private ???? In Use Wood
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Ajax This station was near the corner of Ajax Road and Franklin-Belmar Drive at approximately GPS: 41.354777, -79.790998.
Astral This station was near the end of Astral Road at approximately GPS: 41.344186, -79.773030.
Baum This station was off Stewart Run Road on the SW side of Stewart Run (the creek) at approximately GPS: 41.472135, -79.541413.
Belmar This station was just south of Belmar Drive/Nettles Lane at approximately GPS: 41.332979, -79.774795.
Boughton This station was between Miller Farm Station at the northern county line.
Brandon This station was at the western end of Brandon Road around GPS: 41.315660, -79.852908.
Carl Station This station was just west of Mays Mills Road (T-512) at approximately GPS: 41.321271, -79.735081.
Collins On the branch that went to Cranberry.
Columbia This station was somewhere between Rynd Farm and Petroleum Centre.
County Home It appears that there was a station or shelter at the Venengo County Home west of Sugar Creek.
Cranberry
(Salina)
This was the end of a short branch line.
Dixie Station This station was east of French Creek Road in the vicinity of GPS: 41.407699, -79.909902. It is unlear why there was a station there. It is shown on the 1917 map, but not on the 1941 map.
Dotter This station was on what is now called Carls Road (T-331) at approximately GPS: 41.209339, -79.723048.
Eagle Rock This station was near the intersection of Eagle Rock Road and Old Ferry Road around GPS: 41.452676, -79.576579.
East Sandy This station was along what is now the Allegheny River Trail just south of where the Sandy Creek Trail crosses. It was at approximately GPS: 41.331093, -79.769089.
Eclipse This station was just east of Frankin at approximately GPS: 41.399988, -79.812966. A station is shown here on the 1917 map.
Emlenton This station was on the east side of 6th Street on the south side of the tracks at GPS: 41.176727, -79.709585.
Emlenton The freight station was on the east side of 6th Street on the north side of the tracks at GPS: 41.176983, -79.709269.
Fernbank Station This station was just east of where the line crossed Shaw Run. There is no road to this location now, although there was an unimroved road to here on the 1941 map. The station was at approximately GPS: 41.304536, -79.706415.
Foster
(Coal City)
(Indian Bend)
There appear to be no roads to the area that this station was in (although it is accessible via the river trail). It was north of the end of Titus Road around GPS: 41.327803, -79.814565. The station is known as Indian Bend on the 1923 PRR List of Stations & Sidings.
Franklin The original wood frame passenger station was on the west side of 13th Street (US 322) on the south side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 41.403284, -79.831446. Sometime around 1900 a new brick station was built and was either attached to the west end of the original station or had a new section made of wood in the same location as the original station.
Franklin There was a large freight house on the east side of 13th Street (US 322) on the north side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 41.403598, -79.831108.
Franklin The first station here was a wood frame building on the corner of Railroad Street and 12th Street at GPS: 41.394720, -79.831086. It was torn down when the existing brick station was built sometime between 1901-1906.
Franklin Station This station was just south of the US 322 bridge south of Franklin at approximately GPS: 41.387817, -79.817562. The station was just south of the bridge here in 1922, but I am not sure that the current location of the newer US 322 bridge is the same as the old 8th Street bridge.
Henry's Bend This station was in the vicinity of GPS: 41.468368, -79.592828.
Horse Creek On the branch that went to Cranberry.
Kennerdell This station was on the west side of Main Street at approximately GPS: 41.269880, -79.845274. The house that still stands to the north was the station master's house. After the Kenerdell Tunnel was built this part of the line became localized with very little traffic. The line here was torn out in 1930, with the main line through the tunnel being torn out in 1988.  
McClintock
(McClintockville)
This station was between Oil City and Rouseville. Not to be confused with the station listed below. This station was on the SW side of Waitz Road at approximately GPS: 41.459421, -79.691522.
McClintocks This station was probably located at an iron furnace on the line that went to Cranberry.
Miller Farm
Station
This station was on the east side of Miller Farm Road at approximately GPS: 41.564953, -79.656430.
Niles This station was on the south side of Georgetown Road at approximately GPS: 41.396982, -79.911422.
Oil City The original station was on Main Street at the north end of Bridge Street at approximately GPS: 41.432518, -79.713190. The area is occupied by the US 62 highway now. It was demolished in 1966.
Oil City The freight station was on Main Street west of bridge street at approximately GPS: 41.432115, -79.714585.
Oil City
AND
The original WNY&P station here was built in 1865 and a newer brick union station was constructed in 1883. It was on Elm Street between the tracks at GPS: 41.432751, -79.707265. The city acquired the building (and the NYP&O (Erie) freight station listed below) in early 1962. The wooden Erie freight house and another wooden building were burned down by the city in a special ceremony on July 5, 1962. The brick passenger station was demolished soon after to make way for a new development project on the site (from The News-Herald, July 6, 1962).
Oil City There were several different freight stations over the years along the southernmost exchange tracks around GPS: 41.432371, -79.707510. At one time the RRs had their own freight houses here and there was also a union freight house. The photo shows the Erie freight house and the large PRR freight shed that was closer to river.
Oil City
(S. Oil City)
This station was on the SW side of the tracks along Front Street at Walnut Street at GPS: 41.428400, -79.705810. The station is shown on the 1901 Sanborn map, but is gone by the 1906 map.
Oleopolis This station was in the vicinity of West Riverview Road around GPS: 41.454462, -79.616241.
Pecan Station
(Mays Mills)
This station was on the north side of Old PA8 on the west side of Sandy Creek at approximately GPS: 41.335095, -79.887191.
Petroleum Centre  
Pioneer
Station
This station was off of Russells Corners Road at approximately GPS: 41.529038, -79.666007. Pioneer was on the north side of the creek and the station was on the south side.
Polk This station was on the west side of Erie Street near McClelland Avenue. It was on the east side of the tracks at GPS: 41.366982, -79.927304.
Polk Junction  
Prentice  
President
Station
This station was across the river from President Village at the end of Old Ferry Road at approximately GPS: 41.454965, -79.561129.
Raymilton
River Ridge
Station
This station was at approximately GPS: 41.405967, -79.791019. There are no roads to this area now, but the location is on the Samuel Justus Recreation Trail. This station served River Ridge Farm. For more info on the farm see: http://riverridgefarm.org/
Rockland This station was on Rockland Statation Road at approximately GPS: 41.231772, -79.751602.
Rockmere This station was east of Oil City. No station is shown there on the 1941 map.
Rouseville
Run Listed on the 1880 LS&MS timetable.
Rynd Farm  
Siverly This station was on the SE side of Oil City.
St. George This station was near the intersection of St. George Road and Upper St. George Road at approximately GPS: 41.249019, -79.791390.
Sugar Creek This station was along Sugar Creek Drive at approximately GPS: 41.420577, -79.878526. According to the News Herald (6/20/33) the station was razed on June 20, 1933 and the lumber was salvaged by a man who planned to build a house with it in Maple Dale.
Summit  
Takitezy This station was near the end of Takitezy Drive at approximately GPS: 41.412884, -79.923584.
Van This station was on the NE side of U.S. 322.
Venango Not to be confused with the Venango Erie station in Crawford County, this station was near where Lower Two Mile Run emptied into the Allegheny River at approximately GPS: 41.373334, -79.801126. This station may have originally been called Cochran.
Walnut Bend This station was at the end of West Walnut Bend Road at approximately GPS: 41.466432, -79.649138.
Wood Hill This station was between Dotter and Rockland. It is shown on the 1908 PRR timetable.
Wright Station There are is no longer a road to this area, although the 1941 map shows an unimproved road to this location. That road ran south from Whippoorwill Road and crossed the East Sandy Creek. The station was at approximately GPS: 41.299757, -79.680592 near where this old road crossed the creek. That road continued south and then east to Hepler Road. Part of this road may be what is today known as Seneca Hardwood Road.
1895 VENANGO COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

Franklin (LS&MS) - Fire damaged a large section of the building in 2001.

Franklin Station (PRR) - Now houses Country Pedalers Bicycle Rental. As shown on Sanborn maps, the original station here was a combination station located to the south of the old 8th Street Bridge. It is now out of position in relation to the Rt. 322 bridge because the old bridge was torn down and the new bridge was repositioned about 45 degrees to the south. That put the old station on the north side of the bridge instead of the south. So, this building is likely the remaining part of the combination station.

Oil City (OC&T) - Originally a gas station, now used by the OC&T as a railroad station.

Reno (PRR) - When it became non-agency it lost its distinctive depot architecture was leased to the adjoining Wolf's Head refinery where it served as "Building 10." Today the refinery is closed but the station building remains.

Utica (A&GW) - This may be part of the original station. It looks just like the old AG&W station, but not as long.