TIOGA  COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Current
Use
Date
Built
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
Elkland 303 North Buffalo Street
(GPS: 41.990286,-77.312583)
C Business 1901 Gone Wood
Jackson Summit SR 328 C Private 1876 Gone Wood  
Knoxville East Railraod Avenue P Business ???? Gone Wood  
Mansfield Novelty Place north of Elmira Street
(GPS: 41.808805,-77.080958)
P Business 1890 Gone Wood  
Mansfield Novelty Place north of Elmira Street
(GPS: 41.808805,-77.080958)
F Business 1874 Gone Wood  
Stokesdale Junction
Wellsboro Junction off Muck Road. P Railroad 1896 In Use Wood  
Wellsboro Charleston Street
(GPS: 41.750816,-77.292665)
P Business/
Railroad
1914 In Use Stucco  
Wellsboro Charleston Street
(GPS: 41.751456,-77.29297)
F Business ???? In Use Wood  
Westfield Railroad Street C Business ???? Gone Wood  
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Academy Corners  
Academy Corners  
Ansonia  
Ansonia  
Antrim In 1875 the station was also a hotel here owned by the Fall Brook Coal Company on the Wellsboro & Antrim RR. The hotel went out of service as a depot when the new station was built. It survived until 1882 when it burned down.
Antrim  
Arnot
Arnot RR
The 1875 map shows a station here. Later this became the Arnot & Pine Creek RR.
Arnot  
Ben Gully  
Blackwell  
Blossburg The passenger station here was in the Seymour House Hotel at the SE corner of Morris and Carpenter Streets (GPS: 41.680841,-77.063684). The freight station was across Morris Street at the SW corner of the intersection at GPS: 41.680835, -77.064105.
Brookland  
Brooklyn The original station here was on the north side of Lake Street on the east side of the tracks (GPS: 41.909463,-77.14252). This station is shown on the 1875 county map.
Brooklyn Burned down by the fire department in the 1960s.
Brownlee  
Canoe Camp In the 1890s, A. D. Gillet was the station agent and postmaster. He also ran a store in the depot building. In 1875 the Tioga RR station was just south of Canoe Camp Creek on the west side of the tracks (GPS: 41.782137,-77.068695).
Carpenters Station A station is shown here on the 1875 map on the Williamsport & Elmira RR.
Covington This was the first station. It was also was a general store and had a dwelling on the second floor and a freight house on the rear. The photo is from 1927. The station was on the south side of West Hill Road (formerly State Street) on the west side of the tracks at GPS: 41.744785, -77.076047. It is also shown at that location on the 1885 and 1888 maps.
Covington This station burned.
Cowanesque  
Cowanesque  
Crooked Creek
(Holidaytown)
 
Davis  
Elkland This station was on East WAG Avenue.
Fall Brook  
Gaines
Gurnee  
Hammond  
Holliday  
Jackson Summit  
Lambs Creek The first station here was at approximately 41.844126,-77.100452. It is shown on the 1875 county map.
Lambs Creek This station was built in 1880. It sat on private property out of sight and was likely torn down between 2000-2007.
Landrus  
Lathrop  
Lawrenceville
AND
Demolished in 1980s. Although this station served Lawrenceville, it was just across the state line in NY by a few feet. It was on Mechanic Street/Station Road (GPS: 42.000253,-77.113708).
Lawrenceville This looks like a temporary station or perhaps it was the first station here.
Mansfield In 1875 the passenger station was on the south side Elmira Street on the west side of the tracks (GPS: 41.808237,-77.080604). The freight station was on the north side of Elmira Street on the east side of the tracks (GPS: 41.808637,-77.080572).
Marsh Creek  
Middlebury Center
Mill Creek Station  
Millerton  
Mitchells Creek  
Morris Run  
Nelson  
Niles Valley In 1875, this station was at the east end of Cemetery Road on the west side of the tracks along Norris Brook (GPS: 41.825132,-77.285825).
Osceola  
Osceola  
Phillips Station  
Potter Brook  
Pritchards Station This early station was just SW of Lawrenceville on the Cowanesque Branch RR. Its location is now under water in Cowanesque Lake at GPS: 41.985382,-77.162004.
Roaring Branch Originally the Williamsport & Elmira RR. This station was just over the line in Lycoming County.
Round Top The original station here (as shown on the 1875 map) also served as the post office and a granger's lodge. It was on the north side of Mills Hill Road on the east side of the tracks (GPS: 41.706986,-77.254454).
Sabinsville
Somers Lane In 1875 this station/store/post office (J. Guile, agent) was onthe west side of the tracks on the north side of the only east/west street here at the time (Somers Lane Road?).
Somerville  
Stokesdale This station is shown on the 1875 county map on the north side of the first east/west street that was here (this was the street that crossed Marsh Creek and led to the tannery on the other side). The station was on the west side of the tracks.
Stone This station was at milepost 118.47, between Ansonia (MP 113.85) and Tiadaghton (MP 122.88).
Summit  
Tiadaghton  
Tioga The original station here was south of town where Main Street used to cross the river and meet the tracks. On the 1875 county map, the station shown here is labeled "Old Depot" as the new station had been constructed on Park Street (see below). This original station was at approximately GPS: 41.898971,-77.130675.
Tioga This station was on Park Street just across the river (GPS: 41.908729,-77.128615).
Tioga  
Tioga Junction  
Tompkins  
Trowbridge  
Wellsboro The original stations here were a few feet northwest of the existing passenger station.
Wellsboro Junction Demolished in 1980s.
Westfield
Westfield This probably predated the NYC station that still exists.
Willard  
1895 TIOGA COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

Elkland (CC&A) - Station sat on the Cowanesque Valley Branch of the Corning, Cowanesque & Antrim RR. This later became part of the NYC.