SUSQUEHANNA  COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Current
Use
Date
Built
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
Alford Station Road P Vacant 1915 In Use Brick
Hallstead Pine Street C Business 1915 In Use Brick  
Susquehanna Front & Main Streets P Restaurant 1863 In Use Brick
Thompson SR 171 P Business ???? Gone Wood
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Alford The predecessor to the above listed brick station. This was on the old main line and burned down on June 22, 1911 (Pittston Gazette, 6-22-1911).
Ararat  
Avery This station was on Avery Station Road.
Dimock  
Great Bend  
Heart Lake On a branch from Montrose to Alford.
Hickory Grove The Erie RR station in Hickory Grove was supposedly bought long ago, dismantled, rebuilt as a camp, dismantled again, and rebuilt as a home in Kirkwood, NY, just over the border. Reports claim that the building is by now unrecognizable as a depot. Can anyone confirm that?
Forest City  
Forest City While Forest City is located in Susquahanna County, the station was located just across the Lackawanna river in Wayne County in what is today Browndale.
Foster This station was built in 1888 and later served as a freight house.
Foster A concrete station was built here in 1915.
Herrick Center  
Hop Bottom Torn down in 1999 after falling into disrepair.
Kingsley Built in 1915. Was on Main Street. South half of station collapsed as of May 2006 and was totally demolished by 2007. Here is a photo from 2000.
Kingsley Probably the predecessor of the above listed station.
Lanesboro  
Lanesboro
Montrose Station was demolished in the mid 1980s.
New Milford Built in 1893.
Pleasant Mount This station was along PA-371 between Herrick Center and Pleasant Mount, on the site of the present day (2011) Agway Store.
Springville  
Starrucca Station  
Susquehanna Freight station, built 1865. Sat Northwest of Front street near the intersection of Front and Main.
Uniondale  
1895 SUSQUEHANNA COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

Alford (DL&W) - Adjacent tower operated from 1914-1938 and controlled the jct. with the Montrose Branch. Also controlled a 3rd track that ran from Alford to Kingsley.

Susquehanna (Erie) - Magnificent 3 story Gothic Revival station hotel, first brick passenger station in North America. Dining hall served passengers before advent of dining cars. Entered the National Register of Historic Buildings in 1978. The Sturrucca House Station was built under the supervision of Morris S. Sherman who was the Superintendant of Masonry for the Erie Railroad. He was brought to Suquehanna in 1846 to work on the construction of the Sturrucca Viaduct as a foreman after which he was promoted to superintendant's position and was kept in Susquehanna to build the station. He remained there until his death in September, 1885. He is buried in the Grand St. Cemetery there in town.

Thompson (Erie) - Prior to January, 1955 the D&H's Pennsylvania Division (Susquehanna to Carbondale) was owned and operated by the Erie as its Jefferson Division so the station is of Erie ancestry. D&H purchased the line in 1955. Thompson station remained an Erie and EL agency even after the
D&H purchased the Jefferson Branch from the Erie in 1955. D&H owned the actual building, and I know the D&H track tool house was in the station, but it remained an EL agency up until Conrail in 1976. EL retained trackage rights on the Jefferson Branch, and operated on it to serve local customers.