PERRY  COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Current
Use
Date
Built
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
Blain South end of Chruch Road at Mill Road
(GPS: 40.334066, -77.509317)
C Civic ???? Gone Wood
COVE 10012 Hwy 421 North, Monon, Indiana
(GPS: 40.898729, -86.880131)
C Museum ???? None Wood
Duncannon Water Street and Cumberland Street C Business ???? In Use Brick  
Duncannon High Street & Cherry Street F Private ???? Gone Brick  
Loysville Main Street C Business ???? Gone Wood
Marysville 103 State Road C Business 1900 In Use Brick  
New Germantown ???? C Vacant ???? Gone Wood  
Newport Southeast of the intersection of Market Street (PA34) and N. Front Street, behind Kauffman's Service Center. C Storage 1908 In Use Brick  
Water Plug 3025 Little Buffalo Road, Newport P Residence 1860s None Stone
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Aqueduct On the 1877 map, this was the northern most PRR station in Penn Township.
Bailey Baily Station was named for U.S. Representative Joseph Baily. It was located at the intersection of Uppper and Lower Baily Roads. The foundation of the station remained as of 2012.
Elliotsburg  
Green Park I have heard this station may still be standing on "Schoolhouse Road." Need more specific information on the location to verify.
Juniata Bridge  
Millerstown  
New Bloomfield  
Newport  
Perdix  
1895 PERRY COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

Cove (PRR) - This station was originally moved from Cove to Hollidaysburg where it was part of a museum/private collection owned by Chuck Hazlett in the 1970s. The collection of artifacts, including the station were eventually auctioned/sold. The station now resides at the Monon Connection Museum in Indiana. Does anyone know what year the depot was originally moved to Hollidaysburg? It was subsequently moved to Indiana in 2002.

Loysville (N&SV) - Part of Kreider's Mill. Is this the same station as pictured here?

Water Plug (N&SV) - During the late 1800's, the Newport and Shermans Valley railroad crossed behind the house. Due to a never failing spring on the property, a dam was constructed and water supplied to the steam engines. Thus, Water Plug Station (as it was known on the N&SV timetable as well). To this day, the spring is used to fill and top off the 20x40 ft. in ground swimming pool on the property. The dam can still be seen but has since been breached.