NORTHAMPTON  COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Current
Use
Date
Built
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
Bangor 215 South Chestnut
(GPS: 40.864565, -75.206302)
F Businesses 1902 Gone Brick  
Bangor 46 Main Street
(GPS: 40.867914, -75.205102)
F Business 1909 Gone Brick  
Berlinsville PA248 ? Vacant ???? Gone Wood
Bethlehem
AND
240 Union Station Plaza
(GPS: 40.613814,-75.3832)
P Health Clinic 1924 In Use Brick  
Behtlehem 231 Union Station Plaza
(GPS: 40.614106, -75.380726)
F Railroad ???? In Use Brick  
Bethlehem 61 West Lehigh Street
(GPS: 40.616526, -75.382461)
P Restaurant 1873 In Use Brick
Bethlehem 55 West Lehigh Street
(GPS: 40.616776, -75.382265)
F Storage 1910 Gone Brick  
Danielsville PA 946 (Mountain View Drive) C Business ???? Gone Combo  
Delabole Delabole Road P Business 1893 Gone Wood
Easton Canal Street & Smith Avenue at Third Street Bridge
(GPS: 40.685775, -75.208833)
C Vacant 1923 In Use Brick
Mt. Bethel Jacoby Creek Road and Railroad Avenue C Residence 1878 In Use Stucco
Nazareth 529 South Main Street F Business 1903 Gone Brick
Nazareth South Main Street P Business ???? In Use Wood  
Northampton Main Street at Laubach Street, behind the VFW Hall (GPS: 40.679017, -75.490552) C Vacant ???? In Use Wood
Pen Argyl 115 West Pennsylvania at Robinson Street F Business ???? Gone Brick
Portland 428 Delaware Avenue P Business 1897 In Use Wood
Portland 208 Northampton Street P Business ???? Gone Wood
Siegfried PA329 (East 21st Street) & Station Avenue, Northampton
(GPS: 40.690908, -75.502272)
C Museum ???? In Use Wood
Steel City Riverside Drive R Private ???? None Wood
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Ackermanville According to ICC valuation records, there was a shelter station here that was built in 1903 that 14' X 12' X 13.5'.
Bangor Built in 1878 by the Bangor and Portland RR, this station was on the east side of the tracks at the intersection of East High Street and Erdman Avenue (formerly Washington Avenue) at GPS: 40.866223, -75.203846. The passenger office was in the southern part of the building with the freight office in the northern part.
Bangor The passenger station was on Main Street at the current site of the brick Lehigh & New England freight station (GPS: 40.867914, -75.205102). It was torn down sometime between 1904-1909.
Bangor The freight station was to the NW of the passenger station off Main Street and was connected to it by a long platform. It as at approximately GPS: 40.868172, -75.205476. In the early years there was one small freight station here. Later, another freight building was erected next to it for more space.
Bath A 15' X 30' X 16.5' shelterhouse was built in 1903.
Bath  
Belfast Junction This passenger station/dwelling was built in 1878.
Bethlehem This freight station sat under the old Main Street access ramp on the north side of Spring Street (formerly Vineyard) at GPS: 40.618027, -75.384190. One of the bridge's support piers was in the middle of the station and protruded through the roof. The station was just over the border in Lehigh County.
Bethlehem
AND
The photo of this old union station was taken in 1879. It was built in 1867 and was in the smae location as the extant Union Station at GPS: 40.613797, -75.383159.
Bethlehem There was a freight station west of the north end of Brodhead Avenue (this section gone, now Union Station Plaza) on the south side of the tracks next to Union Station at GPS: 40.613993, -75.382461.
Bethlehem There was a large freight house on the NW corner of West 2nd Street and Northampton Street at 40.612266, -75.379641.
Bethlehem There was a freight station on the south side of West 2nd between Brodhead Avenue and Northampton Street at GPS: 40.612576, -75.380748. 1892
Bethlehem Junction This station was south of Lehigh Avenue at GPS: 40.615881, -75.387045. It is shown on the 1912 Sanborn Insurance Map.
Bingen
East Bangor Built in 1878 by the Bangor and Portland RR.
Easton This freight station was on the south side of Washington Street west of South 4th Street at GPS: 40.687260, -75.211252. It was just to the NW of the passenger station. The depot, last used as a warehouse by the Lehigh Furniture Company, burned in June of 1977. The pictures are of the ruin a few days after the fire.
Easton This station was built over 4th Street (now Lehigh Drive) and supported by columns. it was located at GPS: 40.686781, -75.210828.
Easton The 13th Street Junction station was in the NE section of the C.K. Williams Paint Mills (now Huntsman) where the E&N and Bushkill branches of the LV meet. It was at approximately GPS: 40.698256, -75.231857. Not sure if the photo is of part of the station there or the switchman's shanty.
Easton There was a small station on the east side of 13th Street at GPS: 40.696140, -75.227937. It was just to the NE of the old three-story F.C. Williams flour and grain warehouse which is still standing (as of 2017). On the 1904 map it is just marked "station" and on the 1914 map it is marked "freight station."
Easton This large passenger station was built in 1890 (opened in early 1891) and demolished in 1945. It was at the intersection of South 3rd, Canal and Smith Streets at GPS: 40.686109, -75.207861.
Easton There was a freight station under the tracks in the same location that the 1929 passenger station was built. It is shown on the Sanborn maps as early as 1885 and predated the 1890 passneger station that was on the south side of the tracks. It may have been incorportaed into the newer structure.
Easton There was a freight house north of Canal Street on the south side of the tracks closest to the river at GPS: 40.684938, -75.211478. On the 1927 map, the building is marked "Old Frieght House." The foundation can still be seen as of 2017.
Easton There were a couple of small freight stations off Bushkill Drive near Stair Street in the vicinity of GPS: 40.694432, -75.215919.
Easton
(South Easton)
The South Easton passenger station was on the northeast side of the LV shops on Canal Street at GPS: 40.682004, -75.222590.
Flicksville Built in 1878 by the Bangor and Portland RR.
Freemansburg Demolished 1966.
Glendon Station
(Wilson)
This small station was along the CNJ tracks between Glendon Hill Road and Lehigh Drive. It was in the vicinity of GPS: 40.671594, -75.237540. There was an access road to it from Lehigh Drive. It is shown on the 1914 map, but is gone by 1927.
Hellertown  
Martin's Creek This combination station was built in 1903.
Martin's Creek  
Martin's Creek Junction According to ICC valuation records, there was a shelter station here that was built in 1903 that 14.5' X 16.5' X 14.5'.
Nazareth Built 1878.
Northampton The two CNJ stations in Northampton Borough were about a mile apart with a passing siding on eastbound No. 1 track (the No. 1 Track diverted southward in effect making the passing siding a middle track with cross over switches to and from the westbound No. 2. track) starting between the two and running beyond Northampton Station to a point near the junctions of the Northampton & Bath Railroad.
Northampton
N&B
The Northampton & Bath RR station was ont he NE side of Main Street between Lerchenmiller Drive and East 10th Street at GPS: 40.679245, -75.488317. It was demolished in 1974.
Pen Argyl This station was about 100 feet east of the existing freight station.
Pen Argyl This passenger station was built in 1888 and was combination station/residence.
Pen Argyl This brick freight station was built in 1926. It was located at 408 West Main Street. It was demolished in September, 2014.
Siegfried There was a freight station here just to the north of the passenger station at GPS: 40.691096, -75.502421.
South Bethlehem
AND
This station burned down on January 1, 1904 (Mt. Carmel Item, 1-2-1904).
Stier Built 1878.
Stockertown  
Treichlers The station was on the south side of East Breadfruit Drive at GPS: 40.735216, -75.542616.
Treichlers This station was near the end of Cove Road in the vicinity of GPS: 40.734038, -75.539330. It was across the river in Lehigh County.
Walnutport  
Wind Gap This station was built in 1911.
1895 NORTHAMPTON COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

Berlinsville (L&NE) - Can anyone confirm that this is actually a station? Is it still there?

Bethlehem (CNJ) - Both CNJ stations are actually in Lehigh County abut 100 yards across the line.

Delabole (DL&W) - Bed now a trail. Moved 1/4 mile north or original location.

Easton (LV) - The elevator and stairwell kiosks and trainsheds have been removed. The passenger and freight stations as well as the Railway Express facility themselves are still there, located enclosed under the tracks, and unused for years.

Mt. Bethel (DL&W) - Modified into a private house with some addition that may or may not have been done by the railroad. This was an original Bangor & Portland RR station and according to ICC valuation records was built in 1878.

Nazareth (DL&W) - This may have been a Bangor & Portland RR station depending on when during the year it was built. The B&P was bought by the DL&W in 1903.

Northampton (CNJ) - This was one of two CNJ stations in Northampton. The station that currently stands in Northampton was previously called: Northampton Station, Laubach (circa 1870), then Stemton (circa 1880), then Alliance (1902), and finally just Northampton (1909). The two stations in Northampton Borough were about a mile apart with a passing siding on eastbound No. 1 track (the No. 1 Track diverted southward in effect making the passing siding a middle track with cross over switches to and from the westbound No. 2. track) starting between the two and running beyond Northampton Station to a point near the junctions of the Northampton & Bath Railroad.

Pen Argyl (L&NE) - Will house a veterinary hospital in 2012.

Portland (DL&W) - The current building is the second DL&W station at Portland, and was built about 1897. Donna Zalepa writes (9/3/00): My family has owned the Portland Railroad Station since purchasing it from the Railroad approximately in 1963. It has had only one owner since, that being my family, the Dahlmans. I am anticipating sale of the building and land next fall. I would like to see it remain and or be 'railway' oriented. It is zoned commercial and has 300 or so foot of Route 611 frontage and is in sound shape. Contrary to the information above, ICC valuation records from 1926 list the date built for this station as 1900.

Portland (L&NE) - Heavily modified into automobile shop. Street side facade still has the original appearance.

Siegfried (CNJ) - Town is part of Northampton now.

Steel City (Replica) - This station is reportedly a replica of the West Portal, NJ (Hunterdon Co.) Lehigh Valley station.