MONTOUR  COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Current
Use
Date
Built
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
Danville 502 Railroad Street at Walnut Street
(GPS: 40.961242,-76.608042)
C Business 1876 In Use Wood
Mooresburg Moved to side of highway (PA642?) P Residence 1899 None Wood  
Mooresburg At Motters Truck Repair between Pine Grove and Suedburg F Stable ???? None Wood
Ottawa
(California)
South side of Strick Road just west of the railroad grade (off Route 54 between Turbotville and Washingtonville). C Residence 1886 None Wood  
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Danville The original Catawissa RR station was across the tracks from where the still extant RDG combination station is. It was on the north side of the tracks at the corner of Railroad Street and Nicholas Avenue (GPS: 40.961493,-76.607956). There was a freight station on the south side of the tracks that was replaced by the RDG station. Both passenger and freight stations are shown on the 1876 map.
Danville The station here was built in 1873 by the Lackawanna & Bloomsburg RR. It was just east of Church Street on what used to be Arch Street at approximately GPS: 40.961663,-76.613063. It was on the south side of the tracks.
Danville There was a station at the hospital, but it was just a cover shed with platforms and lighting.
Derry  
Dieffenbach
(Lethergo)
 
Mausdale  
Mooresburg An early station is shown here on the 1876 county map.
Roaring Creek  
sCHUYLER
Strawberry Ridge The Wilkes Barre & Western railroad later became known as the Susquehanna, Bloomsburg & Berwick.
Washingtonville  
1895 MONTOUR COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

Danville (RDG) - Carpet store. This station was built as the Philadelphia and Reading Centennial station for the 1876 Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia. It was moved to Danville in 1881.

Mooresburg (RDG Freight) - The Freight Station was moved in RR times to North Pine Grove and again after the RR was torn up in Pine Grove to Motters Truck Repair between Pine Grove and Suedburg. Even after two moves it retains the original Mooresburg station sign (at least 5 years ago when I found it). The sign although in poor condition was still legible! The building is used as a horse stable!! --Jim Raffa (2/20/01)