MONROE  COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Current
Use
Date
Built
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
Cresco Hardytown Road Ext. (near PA191) C Museum 1888 In Use Wood  
Delaware Water Gap Off US 611 C Vacant 1903 In Use Brick  
East Stroudsburg
(Dansbury)
31 South Kistler Street P Business 1864 In Use Wood
Marshall's Creek Marshall's Creek Road (PA402) approx. 1/8 mile north of the junction with Milford Road (US-209).
(GPS: 41.043212, -75.128110)
C Business ???? Aband. Wood
Pocono Summit Summit Road C Vacant 1912 In Use Concrete  
Stroudsburg 537 Ann St. F Museum 1882 Gone Wood
Tobyhanna SR 423 C Museum 1908 In Use Wood
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Analomink This passeneger station was built in 1911 as was a companion freight house.
Bartonsville There was a combination station built here in 1873.
Coolbaugh This station was on what is now the Foxmoor Drive exit from north end of shopping plaza at Keystone Drive. DVR track removed 1938. Freight only after 1927. On grounds of Davidson Summer School and Camp (1900-1929). Was probably a wood structure, possibly later incorporated into tourist lodging at Blue Ridge Inn.
Cool Moore This passenger station was built in 1900.
Craigs Meadows Station was on Craigs Meadow Road at the north end of the gate into St. Paul's cemetery. DVR track removed 1938. Freight only after 1927. Possibly just gravel platform. No station house shown there on 1939 aerial photo. 
Cresco There was a freight station here next to the passenger station. It was built in 1902.
Delaware Valley Inn Station This station was on the southeast side of Hollow Road north of intersection with Holy Cross Road. This was the station for the Delaware Valley Inn (later “The Regina” Hotel). Freight only after 1927. DVR track removed 1938. Shown on timetables by 1913. For a time in the 1920s an old passenger coach was used for a station here. Only a concrete foundation about 60 feet long parallel to ROW remains. On private land.
Delaware Valley Junction Station This station was located on Birch and Oak Streets at junction with DL&W main line. Approximate location is in back of Shine Time Car Wash at Milford Road and Birch Street. Station was required by ROW deed in 1901. Freight only after 1927. DVR track removed 1938. DL&W mainline has one functioning track left passing this location. No remnants of this station left today.
Delaware Water Gap This was the original Delaware Water Gap station which burned after an explosion in 1902.
Delaware Water Gap This station was built in 1898.
Delaware Water Gap An improved boxcar body served as a freight station here. It was placed there by the RR in 1903.
Drums According to ICC valuation records, there was a passenger shelter here.
Eagle Valley Station was on Route 447 (Paradise Trail) and Skyline Drive (the entrance to Eagle Valley Mall).  Approximate location is parking lot of Weis Market. Freight only after 1927. DVR track removed 1938.   Stop shown on 1903 timetable. Possibly just gravel platform. 
Echo Lake Station was on what is now the utility right-of-way north of Echo Lake Park. It was built in 1910. Two separate wood buildings on concrete platform. No remnants today. On private land.
Frutcheys
(Kintners)
Station was on Frutcheys Drive south of Route 209 at bottom of hill from Route 209. Freight only after 1927. DVR track removed 1938. Probably on or near the land of stationmaster and DVR conductor John Kintner. Passenger and freight buildings probably of wood on concrete foundation. No remnants today. On private land. 
Henryville This combination station was built in 1883, however there was also a freight house nearby that was bult the same year.
Kunkletown  
Lake Naomi
(Pocono Pines)
There was a combination station here (pictured) that was built in 1893. In 1913 two modified boxcars were put here to expand the freight handling. Lake Naomi, or Naomi Pines, was later renamed Pocono Pines.
Maples This station was at the west end of Railway Avenue Trail at Creek Road within Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. Named for “The Maples” guesthouse across Creek Road. Two minutes rail time to Bushkill. Shown on 1913 timetable. Possibly just gravel platform. No station house shows in 1939 aerial photo. No remnants today.
Morganthals There was an "iron clad" freighthouse here that was built in 1908.
Mt. Pocono This station was built in 1893.
Oak Grove This station was on what is now the roadbed of (old) Oak Grove Drive near US-209 and between US- 209 and new Oak Grove Drive behind Price Chopper Plaza at approximately GPS: 41.050201, -75.113275. This station was required in the ROW deed. Station was probably of wood with concrete foundation. Only a concrete foundation about 30 feet long parallel to ROW remains. This section of Oak Grove Drive was de-mapped around 2009 and now overgrown.  
Pocono Lake There is a building there that looks like it may have been a freight station, but it is not. Both the passenger and freight stations have been torn down, although the foundations of both can still be seen (as of 2008). There was a passenger station here, built in 1893, and two freight stations built the same year. One freight station was 25' X 36' X 18', and the other was 16' X 16' X 10'.
Pocono Summit
(Pocono Pines)
Photo was captioned: "Pocono Summit Station DL&W, where automobiles meet trains for Pocono Pines Assembly."
Pocono Summit There was a freight station here that was a converted boxcar that was placed here in 1900.
Reeders This combination station was built in 1893.
Shoemakers
(Winona)
This station was on the east side of Winona Falls Road and north of former Fernwood Maintenance Complex, within Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. Freight only after 1927. DVR track removed 1938. Moved here in 1904; formerly a carpenters shed for the DL&W. Only a concrete foundation about 30 feet long parallel to ROW remains.
Slateford Junction This photo was taken just after the Lackawanna Cutoff was built.
Stroudsburg The passenger station here was built in 1883 and an extension was added to it in 1915.
Stroudsburg A freight house was built in 1903. It measured 31.75' x 146' x 18. 25'.
Stroudsburg This station was built in 1893.
Tannersville This combination station was built in 1893.
Tobyhanna

This photo shows the original DL&W depot at Tobyhanna before 1908 when the company built the current depot. Contemporary newspaper accounts indicated that the building in the photo was moved to make way for the new depot, but the final location and disposition is unknown to this website.

Turn Villa
(Turns)
Freight only after 1927. DVR track removed 1938. Station was atop an embankment where it spanned the road from Turn Villa to Echo Lake. The land was later Echo Lake Farms. Station and steps up to it were required by ROW deed in 1901. Wood station with wood platform on concrete strip along embankment and on wood supports over side of embankment. Only supporting wall and concrete base (about 12 feet) for station remain. On private land in heavily overgrown area.
Unknown
(MP 133)
This 9' X 11' X 9' waiting shed is listed on valuation records as simply "MP 133" with no station name.
Wagners This 10' X 12' X 8' passenger shed was built in 1908.
1895 MONROE COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

East Stroudsburg (DL&W) - This station, formerly located at 50 Crystal Street (GPS: 40.998143, -75.181610), was gutted by fire on October 26, 2009. Moved to current location east of tracks in 2010. Now (2017) run by East Stroudsburg Community Alliance. Open for functions and railroad events.

Marshall's Creek (DV) - The tracks were removed in 1938. The station was freight only after 1927. Station has been used as produce stand, gift shop, etc., but sat vacant in 2017. Station was hit by truck in 1972 and just slightly relocated as a result. On private property leased from same family that owned it in railway era.

Stroudsburg (NYS&W) - Moved 1/4 mile SW of original location. The ICC valuation record from 1926 lists the date built as 1888.

Tobyhanna (DL&W) - Concrete interlocking tower next to depot built in 1910, closed Jan. 1958.