MERCER  COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Current
Use
Date
Built
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
Bethel 2369 PA 318
(GPS: 41.190819, -80.392121)
P Residence ???? Gone Wood
Farrell 920 Broadway Avenue
(GPS: 41.215304, -80.507282)
F Business ???? Gone Brick  
Greenville Main Street & Grant Street
(GPS: 41.407920, -80.381843)
C Railroad 1875 In Use Brick
Greenville Clinton & South Race Streets
(GPS: 41.403615, -80.388831)
C Business 1901 In Use Brick
Grove City West end of Erie Street
(GPS: 41.162283, -80.091747)
F Business ???? In Use Wood  
Jamestown South end of Main Street
(GPS: 41.483243, -80.438853)
C Business 1868 Gone Wood
Oakland
(New Virginia)
1220 Keel Ridge Road
(GPS: 41.217240, -80.419667)
P Residence 1927 Gone Brick
Sharon Northeast corner of Main and State Streets
(GPS: 41.233070, -80.512215)
P ???? ???? ???? Brick
Sharon 101 Chestnut Avenue
(GPS: 41.231232, -80.507053)
P Restaurant ???? In Use Wood
Sharon 101 Chestnut Avenue
(GPS: 41.230606, -80.507168)
F Restaurant ???? In Use Wood  
Stoneboro 517 Carpenters Corners Road (CR1101) near Clarks Mills
(GPS: 41.416734, -80.193130)
P Private ???? None Wood
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Amasa A station is listed here on the 1880 LS&MS timetable.
Branch  
Carlton
(Evans' Bridge)
A station is shown here on the 1873 map on what is now O'Brien Lane at approximately GPS: 41.471547, -80.016312. The 1881 book, "Report of the condition of the Atlantic and Great Western railroad it's branches and leased lines: and an inventory of the property and effects of every description," lists a "162х32 wood shed with 17 feet enclosed and used as depot, needs painting, stone foundation, good."
Clarks Mills This station was on the south side of Greenville-Sandy Lake Road on the north side of the tracks at GPS: 41.393080, -80.183295.
Clarksville Station Whatever road this station was on was likely submerged when the Shenango River Resevoir was filled. It was in the general vicinity of GPS: 41.290237, -80.441566. This station is shown on the 1873 map.
Cool Spring This early Shenango & Allegheny RR station, as shown on the 1873 map, was on the northern edge of Cool Spring Township just south of where US 19 crosses the tracks south of Fredonia. The station was at approximately GPS: 41.300634, -80.239914.
Farrell
(South Sharon)
This station was on the north side of the west end of Roemer Street (formerly Haywood Street) at GPS: 41.212225, -80.507208.
Farrell
(South Sharon)
There was a combination station on the west side of Broadway Avenue just north of Roemer Street (formerly Haywood Street) at GPS: 41.212429, -80.506266. It was built sometime between 1903-1908.
Ferrona  
Fredonia In 1873 the station was north of 3rd Street on the south side of the tracks between Main Street and Water Street at GPS: 41.323055, -80.258722.
Greenville This station was on South Front Street just south of Virginia Way at GPS: 41.402593, -80.392539.
Greenville The first Pittsburgh, Shenango & Lake Erie (B&LE predecessor) station here was a two story brick building on the north side of Main Street on the west side of the tracks at GPS: 41.404908, -80.389929. After the railroad built the new station (still standing) in 1901, this building was demolished and replaced with a three-story building that housed B&LE offices. That building still stands (as of 2015) as the "Old Town Building" at 160 Main Street.
Greenville There was a freight station on the north side of State Street on the east side of the tracks at GPS: 41.403112, -80.388460. It is shown on the 1898 Sanborn map.
Greenville A new freight station was built sometime between 1898-1904 on the south side of State Street to replace the freight station listed above. It was on the east side of the tracks at GPS: 41.402742, -80.388161.
Greenville There was a freight station across the tracks from the passenger station on the north side of Main Street at GPS: 41.407841, -80.381455. It fell into disrepair after being vacated in 1976, and was demolished by Conrail on June 29, 1981.
Grove City This station was on the corner of Blair Street and South Broad Street at GPS: 41.161385, -80.086400.
Grove City
(Pine Grove)
The original freight house was on Blair Street just west of South Center Street at GPS: 41.161551, -80.087802. This station was replaced with the new freight station (still standing) sometime between 1912-1920. A station is shown here on the 1873 map when the town was known as Pine Grove and the railroad was the Shenango & Allegheny.
Hadley The station was onthe south side of Fredonia Road at approximately GPS: 41.413704, -80.231056.
Henlein Station This station was on Leech Road at approximately GPS: 41.415031, -80.368147.
Hope Mills This station was on Old Mercer Road at approximately GPS: 41.189149, -80.231965.
Houston Junction
AND
This station was on Houston Junction Road at approximately GPS: 41.231734, -80.212500. There was a station here as early as 1869. The station closed in 1919 (New Castle News, 3-3-1919).
Jackson Center The station entered "non-agency" class in 1931 (New Castle News, 9-29-1931).
Jamestown Picture of station is from a post card of about 1905. The station was heavily damaged in 1920s by collision of a NYC and PRR train at the crossing. Station was rebuilt (see listing below) as a single story affair. Station was torn down about 1961 after agency closed in 1959 or 1960. In the background on the right is the east end of LS&MS (NYC) freight station. PRR also had a smaller freight shed/platform and house track on east side of the E&P at one time. -Paul Stumpff This station was located between Depot Street and Main Street at GPS: 41.483414, -80.438383.
Jamestown This was the rebuilt station after the collision in the 1920s. It may have been a new rebuild or modification of the remaining freight end of the original station.
Keelridge This station was on Morefield Road. It is hard to tell where the grade crossed this road now, but a best guess is around GPS: 41.225953, -80.436855. The station is shown on the 1873 map when the railroad was known as the Keelridge, Sharpsville & Oakland RR.
Kennard See listing for Sugar Grove below.
Kremis  
Leesburg Station This station was on Leesburg Station Road at approximately GPS: 41.143133, -80.240532.
Leesburg Station Perhaps this station predated to one pictured above? A new station was built here in 1886 (Daily City News, 3-9-1886).
Mercer This station was on the north side of east Market Street on the NW side of the tracks at GPS: 41.226314, -80.225414 just across Munnell Run Creek.
Mercer This station was on the south side of East Market Street at approximately GPS: 41.225381, -80.225693. This station is shown on the 1904 map. Prior to that, the station appeared a bit to the west (closer to Butler Street) so this station may have been a replacement built in the early 1900s.
Mercer Station
(OAkland City)
There was an early Shenango & Allegheny RR station here as shown on the 1873 map. It was on Oakland Road at approximately GPS: 41.237343, -80.218846. Quite a big town was plotted out here at that time, but it did not take off.
Mercer
(NC&F Crossing)
The 1880 Shenango & Allegheny RR timetable indicates that there was a station at the crossing.
Millburn This station was on Millburn Road at approximately GPS: 41.168702, -80.227523.
Orangeville Although the village of Orangeville is in Ohio, the station was located west across the state line in South Pymatuning Township on the township road that follows the state line. It was at approximately GPS: 41.337280, -80.518987. The first station here, according to the 1873 map, was on the east side of the road on the north side of the tracks.
Osgood
(Amasa Crossing)
This station was near where the Erie crossed the LS&MS line off Werner Road at approximately GPS: 41.440698, -80.364483.
Osgood This station was off Werner Road at approximately GPS: 41.442049, -80.368398.
Pardoe In 1873 the station was on the north side of Buckley Road (formerly Main Street) on the west side of the tracks at GPS: 41.218201, -80.140130. At that time the line was the Shenango & Allegheny RR.
Pinegrove This is shown as a station on the 1880 timetable of the Shenango and Allegheny Railroad.
Pymatuning Station This station was on West Lake Road at approximately GPS: 41.304191, -80.443788.
Salem
(Leech Corners)
A Jamestown & Franklin RR station is shown here on the 1873 map.
Sandy Lake
(Naples Sta.)
In 1873 the station was on what is now Railroad Street on the NE side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 41.348312, -80.083787. On the 1873 map, the station is also referred to as Naples Station.
Schollard This station was on Leesburg-Grove City Road at approximately GPS: 41.139799, -80.214216. This was on the PRR's Wold Creek Branch.
Sharpsville In 1905 this station was on the south side of the tracks between Walnut Street and Mercer Street at GPS: 41.264582, -80.475483.
Sharpsville In 1905 the passenger station was on the SW side of North Mercer Avenue on the NW side of the tracks at GPS: 41.269433, -80.477907. The freight station was across the tracks on the SE side at GPS: 41.269366, -80.477798. These stations were likely built between 1900-1905. The stations do not appear to have been in the same location in 1900, but maps don't show the area of town where they may have been then and prior.
Sharpsville A small passenger and a freight station were on the west side of Mercer Avenue on the NE side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 41.264613, -80.477189. These stations are shown on the 1905 Sanborn map listed as B&O stations (as the Sharpsville RR had come under B&O control by then).
Sharon Is this the original orginal E&P station?
Sharon The original station here was near the corner of Penn and Mill Streets at GPS: 41.238010, -80.511009. After passenger operations were moved closer to downtown, this building continued to serve as a freight station. It is shown on the 1888 Sanborn map. Both stations may have handled passenger traffic concurrently for a period of time.
Sharon This passenger station was formerly two separate buildings that previously served as a dry goods store on the corner of Main Street and State Street (GPS: 41.233070, -80.512215). The station canopy on the side was added later when it became a passenger station sometime between 1888-1893. The building in the front part was brick, whereas the rear section was wood frame (the canopy stretched down Main Street across the side of both buildings). Later, this building was replaced with the fully brick structure that stands today and served the Erie RR through the end of passenger service.
Sharon
AND
There was a shared freight house on the west side of South Dock Street at GPS: 41.230491, -80.506329. The station was built some time between 1908-1915. The P&LE had trackage rights over the Erie's Ferrona Branch here.
Sharon This combination station was on the south side of West State Street on the west side of the tracks at GPS: 41.232690, -80.512694. The station is shown on Sanborn maps from 1888-1920. On the 1920 map, it is marked as only a freight station. The Valley Street Railway depot was across the street next to St. John's Episcopal Church.
Shenango This station was on the east side of PA18 on the west side of the Erie tracks at GPS: 41.378081, -80.396320. This station The E&P station can also be seen on the left in the top photo.
Shenango This station was on the east side of PA18 on the west side of the tracks at GPS: 41.378271, -80.396954.
Shenango The B&LE may have shared the Erie station here.
Stoneboro There was a freight station on the north side of the tracks north of Railroad Street at GPS: 41.342153, -80.106664.
Sugar Grove
(Kennard)
An Atlantic & Great Western station is shown here on the 1873 map. The station was on Groover Road at approximately GPS: 41.465311, -80.336611.
Transfer
AND
This station was between the tracks on the south side of Edgewood Drive Extension at approximately GPS: 41.329668, -80.432475
West Middlesex This station was on the south side of Main Street (Hubbard Road) just past the west end of the bridge at approximately GPS: 41.172050, -80.459951. There may have been a different station here in 1921 as that map shows a configuration of three small narrow structures, labeled "passenger and freight depot," just south of where the station had been on the 1912 map. Perhaps the station met its end and was replaced by old box cars??

The first station here was considerably south of the Main Street bridge at around GPS: 41.170063, -80.457549 along what is now Penn Avenue. This station is shown on the 1873 map. The railroad changed the name of the station from Middlesex to West Middlesex in 1882.
West Middlesex This station was at the SW end of North Street on the east side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 41.173587, -80.459839. This station may have been an original New Castle & Sharon RR station.
Wheatland In 1873 the station was on the north side of Ohio Street on the NE side of the tracks at GPS: 41.198953, -80.500900.
Wheatland  
1895 MERCER COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

Bethel (Sharpsville RR) - Station has been modified and is amidst trees.

Greenville (Erie) - Passenger service ended in 1970.

Greenville (B&LE) - Passenger service ended in 1955.

Jamestown (LS&MS) - The Jamestown LS&MS depot dates to almost the original extension of the Jamestown & Franklin to Ashtabula.  It is now a woodcarver's gallery which was restored in 1995. What you see today is the joining of two separate buildings. The freight station portion is in its original spot [the eastern end], but the passenger section was a separate building across the tracks. It was moved over and joined to the freight half in the 1930s after NYC passenger service ceased. The freight depot operated separately for awhile in the far east end, and that part never left railroad hands until tracks were gone. The foundation site of passenger station on the south side of old NYC was still visible until they built the connector track between the Oil City and the E&P branches shortly after PC was formed (Note by Paul Stumpff). Originally the freight station was on the north side of the tracks east of Main Street at GPS: 41.483183, -80.438629. This is almost the same location that the combined station sits in today (the passenger station used to be on the south side of the tracks at GPS: 41.483005, -80.438884). The freight station was built sometime between 1906-1912 (it first appears on the 1912 map).

Oakland Station (Sharpsville RR) - This was the old Rollinson Store, although not owned by the RR it served as the station. The building burned in 1925 and was rebuilt in 1927. The railroad closed in 1931.

Sharon (Erie) - This station was part of a corner commercial building and is not a traditional style stand-alone station. The building has been heavily modified and isn't much for looking at. It used to have an overhanging roof on the track side of the building that was removed sometime between 1990-2000.

Sharon (PRR) - The passenger station, express office, and freight station are all part of the Tully's restaurant complex and obscured greatly by additions.

Stoneboro (LS&MS) - NYC sold this station to a local woman who had it moved from its original site at the foot of Lake Street (GPS: 41.341701, -80.107113) to a point off railroad property, maybe 500 feet further west along the right of way. The folks in Clarks Mills acquired it for an arts and crafts shop probably 15 years ago. They numbered each board and reassembled it on its present site. They did remove three feet from the base of the building, so it is shorter than its previous life, but probably easier to heat. NYC built a bay window on the freight house across the track [from original passenger station site], and the agent/operator did his thing there as long as the agency was open. Conrail then demolished freight station. --Fred Houser