McKEAN  COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Current
Use
Date
Built
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
Bradford Along Chestnut Street between Park & Leland Streets
(GPS: 41.951231, -78.647970)
F Business ???? In Use Wood
Clermont Wilcox-Clermont Rd. about a half mile west of PA 46. P Business 1901 Gone Wood  
Kane Fraley Street near Greeves Street
(GPS: 41.658915, -78.811352)
P Society ???? In Use Brick  
ROCKTON State Route 6, just south of intersection of State Route 321 in Kane
(GPS: 41.659392, -78.804185)
P Railroad 1898 In Use Wood
Smethport NE corner of Mechanic and East Water Streets. P Business 1899 Gone Brick  
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Big Shanty  
Bingham  
Boyer  
Bradford In 1886 there was a wood frame BR&P station on the north side of Main Street on the west side of the tracks at GPS: 41.956286, -78.643288. The freight station was on a spur to the NW at GPS: 41.956411, -78.643424.
Bradford This brick station was built sometime between 1890-1895 at the same location as the original station listed above. A new freight station was built closer to main street (than the original freight house) during that same time. Both the passenger and freight stations can be seen in the photo as well as the corner of the PRR station on the right.
Bradford There was a small station with a platform on the east side of North Kendall Avenue on the north side of the tracks at GPS: 41.966271, -78.627365. This was designated as the east bound or "E.B." station on Sanborn maps.
Bradford The first NY&LE passenger station here was a large wood frame depot on the south side of Main Street on the east side of the tracks at GPS: 41.955779, -78.644644. It was gone by 1895. There was a freight house on the north side of Elm Street at GPS: 41.953597, -78.645849.
Bradford The station above was replaced with this brick station in 1890 which was on the south side of Main Street on the west side of the tracks (GPS: 41.955834, -78.644855). In 1890 2/3 of the old passenger station was still standing and the BB&K station (see lsiting below) had been constructed next to it to the south. Passenger service end in 1949, then the station suffered two fires in 1953 (one on May 31 and one on August 2). After the May 31 fire, the city bought the station and it was demolished in January 1954 to facilitate an extension of Davis Street. 
Bradford This station was built around 1890. It was south of Main Street at GPS: 41.955534, -78.644836 and was a terminal-type station with the tracks ending at the south side of the station. The station was gone by 1895 as it is not shown on the Sanborn map for that year.
Bradford There was an early freight house across the tracks from the Erie station to the east at GPS: 41.955808, -78.644227.
Bradford The passenger station was built between 1890-95 on the south side of Main Street on the east side of the tracks at GPS: 41.955910, -78.644293. A newer freight house was built at this time as well on the south side of Main Street near the creek on a spur track at GPS: 41.955805, -78.643999.
Bullis Mills  
Comes Station  
Clermont
Clermont  
Colegrove
Coryville
AND
 
Crawford Junction  
Crosby  
Crystal Springs  
Custer City  
Custer City  
Degolia  
Degolia  
dunkle corners  
East Bradford
(Tarport)
TThis station was at North Kendall and Seward Avenues at GPS: 41.968390, -78.629017. It was closed in 1935 and razed in October 1938 to permit a better view of the area for driver safety.
East Kane/TD>  
East Smethport
Eldred
Eldred  
Elmwood  
Farmers Valley  
Farmers Valley  
Frawleys  
Freeman
Gaffney  
Gardeau  
Gates On the Kinzua Branch.
Griffiths  
Guffey  
Howard  
Howard  
Hutchins This may have been previously known as Frawleys.
Hutchins  
Jo-Jo Junction This station is shown on the 1915 county map. It was just south of Kane.
Kane This station was on the south side of Biddle Street just west of Welsh Street (GPS: 41.659332, -78.804625).
Kane There was a freight house on the south side of Poplar Street to the east of the Kane Oil Well Supply Company. On the 1904 Sanborn map the building is marked as "Inside Damaged By Fire." By 1909 the building is shown as being in use as a freight station again.
Kanesholm  
Kushequa Formerly the Mt. Jewett, Kinzua & Riterville RR.
Kinzua Viaduct
AND
Also known as Kinzua Bridge Station. The B&O line here was formerly the Mt. Jewett, Kinzua & Riterville RR.
Lafayette  
Larabee  
Larabee  
LLewis Run This station was on the north side of Main Street on the east side of the tracks at GPS: 41.874319, -78.654198.
Liberty/TD>  
Ludlow
Marshburg On the Kinzua Branch.
McKeans Formerly the Mt. Jewett, Kinzua & Riterville RR.
Morrison  
Mt. Alton Listed only as "Alton" on the 1908 Erie timetable.
Mt. Jewett
AND
Sat at Kushequa Road and US 6. 
Neilly On the Kinzua Branch.
Newton
(Backus)
 
Norwich  
Olivedale  
Ormsby Formerly the Mt. Jewett, Kinzua & Riterville RR.
Palmerville  
Port Allegany
AND
Riterville Station Listed as "Riderville" on the 1908 Erie timetable.
Root Run Formerly the Mt. Jewett & Kinzua RR, later the Kinzua Branch of the PRR.
Sargeant  
Sartwell  
Simmons  
Songbird  
Smethport
Smethport Photo circa 1874
Smiths Run  
Springer  
Sykes  
Tally Ho  
Tuna Creek Shown only as "Tuna" on the 1908 Erie timetable.
Turtlepoint  
Watsonville On the Kinzua Branch.
Wellendorf  
Westline  
Wetmore  
White Gravel On the Kinzua Branch.
Whiting  
Woodvale  
Wrights  
1895 McKEAN COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

Bradford (Erie) - It appears that part of this building (the north end) is one of the Erie's old freight stations. This building is shown on the Sanborn maps from 1890-1905 as an Erie freight station. On the 1911 map it is shown as being converted to a machine pipe shop (which it essentially is today).

Rockton (BR&P) - Station was originally built in 1898 for Buffalo, Rochester & Pittsburgh Railroad at Rockton PA on the Clearfield Branch.  The depot was dismantled and first moved to Sloan Cornell's Penn View Mountain Railroad near Blairsville PA in the 1970's.  The depot was dismantled and moved a second time to Gettysburg, PA on Sloan Cornell's Gettysburg Railroad in the late 70's.  An expansion of the nearby Gettysburg College later necessitated the station to be dismantled and placed in storage.  The station was moved a third time and recently reassembled in Kane, PA on the Knox and Kane Railroad. The reassembly was in progress when the tornado destroyed several piers of the Kinzua Bridge.  The station has been finished, but regular passenger and freight service has ceased on the K&K, and the railroad is for sale. - Kevin Moore, 2007