LEHIGH  COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Current
Use
Date
Built
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
Allentown
AND
Race & Hamilton Streets
(GPS: 40.604609, -75.462410)
P Restaurant 1890 Gone Stone/
Brick
Bethlehem 61 West Lehigh Street
(GPS: 40.616526, -75.382461)
P Restaurant 1873 In Use Brick
Bethlehem 55 West Lehigh Street
(GPS: 40.616776, -75.382265)
F Storage 1910 Gone Brick  
Catasauqua
(W. Catasauqua)
Off PA143 at Kistler Valley Road and Creek Road, Kempton in Berks County C Railroad ???? In Use Wood
Chapman Lumberyard on Chapman Road F Business ???? Gone Wood  
East Allentown 455 Hanover Avenue
(GPS: 40.613182, -75.448106)
F Business ???? Gone Brick  
Emmaus Jubilee Street F Business ???? In Use Wood  
Haines SE of the intersection of Route 100 and Schantz Road in Fogelsville P ???? ???? ???? Wood  
Jacksonville Jacksonville Road County Route 4037 P Residence ???? Gone Wood
Trexlertown Adjacent to Route 100  F Business ???? Gone Wood  
Wanamaker Levan Street C Business/
Museum
1874 In Use Wood  
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Alburtis Built in 1859, the station was modified in later years. It was on the east side of Main Street at GPS: 40.511814, -75.603778.
Allentown
(E. Allentown)
The original passenger station (GPS: 40.606474, -75.453175) and freight station (GPS: 40.606548, -75.452888) here was at the corner of Lehigh (now East Hamilton) and Front Street (now Albert Street). See this 1885 map section for location. The freight station is still shown standing as of the 1911 Sanborn map.
Allentown
AND
There was a large joint freight house on the SE corner of Race and Linden Streets (GPS: 40.606199, -75.462635) diagonally across the intersection from the LV freight house.
Allentown
(Gordon St.)
There was a passenger station on the south side of West Gordon Street on the east side of the tracks (what is now American Parkway) (GPS: 40.610341, -75.464423). The station is shown on the 1891, 1897, and 1911 maps.
Allentown The first LV passenger (GPS: 40.604073, -75.458168) and freight stations (GPS: 40.604563, -75.458122) were on the south side of Union Street. See this 1885 map segment for details. The Union Street station served as a freight station for a time after the new station was built on Hamilton Street in 1889.
Allentown Built in 1899, this station was located at the Hamilton Street bridge over Jordan Creek (GPS: 40.604036, -75.464336). Passenger service to this station ended in 1961. It was subsequently torn down in 1972. This was the second LV passenger station in Allentown with the first being on Union Street.
Allentown There was a freight house on the NW corner of Linden and Race Streets (GPS: 40.606415, -75.463253).
Allentown
(Gordon St.)
There was a passenger station on the south side of West Gordon Street between North Jordan Street and the bridge over Jordan Creek (GPS: 40.609767, -75.465898). The station is shown on the 1891, 1897, and 1911 maps.
Allentown
(E.P. Junction)
See this map segment from 1885 for the location of this station.
Best  
Bethlehem This freight station sat under the old Main Street access ramp on the north side of Spring Street (formerly Vineyard) at GPS: 40.618027, -75.384190. One of the bridge's support piers was in the middle of the station and protruded through the roof. The station was just over the border in Lehigh County.
Breinigsville Bulit in 1860.
Catasauqua
(W. Catasauqua)
The first station here was near the river just SE of the Pine Street bridge at GPS: 40.651904, -75.478327. It was torn down in 1907.
Catasauqua
(W. Catasauqua)
This station, built in 1907, was essentially in the same location as the original station, just a bit closer to the river. Both stations stood next to each other for a short time as the old station was in service while the new one was being built. The Reading station was across the tracks as can be seen in one of the photos. The 1907 LV station was closed in 1938 and torn down in 1941 after serving for a mere 31 years. 
Catasauqua The freight station was on the SW side of Front Street just SE of Strawberry Street at GPS: 40.653603, -75.475150. The original building on this site was a Temperance Hall which was later converted into a U.S. Express office. Sometime between 1902-1908 that building was either modified into the LV freight station or the LV freight station was built on the same site. The old and new buildings on the site have similar profiles on the old maps.
Catasauqua This combination station sat just to the south of Pine Street on the SW side of the tracks at GPS: 40.652791, -75.477181. It was closed for passenger service in 1948, closed for freight service in 1952, and demolished in 1955.
Catasauqua The 1913 Sanborn map shows what appears to be (at the time) a freight station on the SE side of Race Street on the NE side of the tracks at GPS: 40.647960, -75.469043.
Cementon This station was on the north side of Main Street on the east side of thetracks at GPS: 40.690156, -75.505844.
Centre Valley  
Chapman The station was built in 1860 and enlarged in 1907.
Coopersburg Built in 1867.
Coplay This station was north of the Chestnut Street bridge ramp at GPS: 40.676041, -75.490944.
Coplay IRONTON
RR
 
Coplay  
Corning  
Crane  
Dillinger Built in 1875.
Egypt IRONTON
RR
 
Emmaus  
Emaus Junction  
Fullerton This station was torn down sometime between 2006-2009. It was located on Lehigh Avenue across from "Jazz Circle" (Cody Way). There is a parking lot at the location now (2009). If the station's last location was there, it had been moved as old maps show that its original location was on the east side of Lehigh Avenue north of Franklin Street at GPS: 40.639527, -75.465992. The 1913 map marks the building as "formerly RR depot, vacant."
Germansville In the early years, this station was known as Lehigh Exchange.
Guth Built in 1959.
Hokendauqua  
Hokendauqua IRONTON
RR
 
Hosensack Station  
Laros On a branch off the Catasauqua & Fogelsville RR.
Laurys Station  
Lehigh Gap Torn down in 1960 after serving as Lou's Market for several years.
Lehigh Gap Sat at the end of Paint Mill Road. Was in poor condition and torn/fell down sometime between 2002-2004.
Lochland This station was between New Tripoli and Germansville.
Lynnport Built in 1878.
Macungie  
Mickley's A shelter was built here in 1911.
Ormrod IRONTON
RR
 
Rockdale  
Saucon  
Seiple  
Siegersville IRONTON
RR
 
Slatington The station was destroyed in a derailment in 1969.
Spring Creek
(Merkle)
 
Treichlers This station was near the end of Cove Road in the vicinity of GPS: 40.734038, -75.539330.
Treichlers The station was on the south side of East Breadfruit Drive at GPS: 40.735216, -75.542616. It was across the river in Northampton County.
Tripoli
(New Tripoli)
The original station here was destroyed in March, 1898 when a shipment of dynamite exploded during the night.
Tripoli
(New Tripoli)
This was the station that replaced the station listed above. It was built in the same location as the original station in 1898.
Vera Cruz  
Walbert  
Wallner On a branch off the Catasauqua & Fogelsville RR.
Zionsville  
1895 LEHIGH COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

Allentown (CNJ/RDG) - Station opened March 17, 1890. Addition to the building was completed in 1915 and the station was sold by the RR in 1979.

Bethlehem (CNJ) - Both CNJ stations are in Lehigh County abut 100 yards across Northampton/Lehigh line.

Catasauqua (RDG) - Moved to Kempton (Berks County) for the WK&SRR in the mid 1960s. Its original location was just SE of the pine Street Bridge at GPS: 40.651742, -75.478635. This station dates to 1876 and the Catasauqua & Fogelsville RR days. Although it likely served as a freight station in later years, it probably was a combination station in the early years. See this photo for original location.

Jacksonville (RDG) - Blue portion of house is station. The front trim matches Wanamaker station. Addition built on rear and another on east end.