JUNIATA  COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Current
Use
Date
Built
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
East Waterford Mill Street, 2nd house north of Spring Street C Residence ???? Gone Wood  
Mifflin PA103 C Railroad 1903 In Use Brick
Tuscarora Springs Along PA state route 333, about � mile southwest of Thompsontown Station.
(GPS: 40.547645,-77.249127)
C Private ????

None

Wood
Waterloo 188 SR3025 C Storage ???? Gone Wood
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Durward A station is shown here on the 1877 county atlas. At that time there was also a bridde across the Juniata River here. The station is not named on the atlas, but a station and telegraph office are shown.
Esh  
Fort Bingham  
Heckman  
Honey Grove  
Leonards Grove  
Mexico Station  
MIFFLIN
(Patterson Sta.)
This was the older station that predates the one still standing. It was also the Patterson House Hotel. Note the extended turret window on the rear of the building.
Milford
(Denholm)
This station was renamed "Milford" in 1892. It was previously known as "Denholm."
Old Port  
Perrysville
(Port Royal)
Port Royal was originally named Perrysville, after Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry. At the time, the Port Royal post office was located in Saint Tammany town, just across the Tuscarora Creek. However, the Pennsylvania Railroad brought increased traffic through the area and prompted a move of the Port Royal post office into Perrysville in 1847. In 1874, the borough took on the name itself and Saint Tammany became known as Old Port. The station in the photo is the predecessor of the one below. It was on the northwest side of Milford Street (when it used to cross the tracks), on the northeast side of the tracks (GPS: 40.534734,-77.384584). The Tuscarora Valley Railroad also used this station.
Perrysville
(Port Royal)
The freight station was across the tracks to the NE of the passenger station (GPS: 40.534734,-77.384584). It was built in 1858 and survived at least until the mid 1980s.
Perulack  
Pleasantview  
Port Royal This station was built around 1909 and was torn down by the RR in 1969. It was on the NE side of Second Street on the SW side of the tracks (GPS: 40.534249,-77.384568). The Tuscarora Valley Railroad also used this station.
Ross Farms  
Spruce Hill  
ThompsontowN Station
Tuscarora  
Van Dyke  
Warble  
1895 JUNIATA COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

Mifflin (PRR) - Eastbound platforms are gone but subway is intact. Station in relatively good condition. Nearby interlocking tower torn down in the 1980s.

Tuscarora Springs (Replica) - This replica station was built by Paul Withers, owner of Withers Publishing, on the site of the Thompsontown lodge for the ski slope there. The former SnowPeak lodge burnt after the ski slope closed and Paul bought the property for a retirement home.

Waterloo (TVRR) - Station was moved here from its original location. It retains its original station sign.