INDIANA  COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Current
Use
Date
Built
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
Blairsville 205 East Market Street
(GPS: 40.431376, -79.260774)
P ???? ???? In Use Brick
Blairsville North of Market Street behind the passenger station to the NW
(GPS: 40.432002, -79.261291)
F Civic ???? In Use Brick
Blairsville NE corner of Old Main Street and Liberty Street
(GPS: 40.426969, -79.266902)
P Residence 1852 Gone Wood
Indiana 1125 Philadelphia Street
(GPS: 40.623530, -79.161523)
P Restaurant 1904 In Use Wood
Jacksonville SR 286 P Tavern 1912 Gone Wood/
Stone
 
Saltsburg Point Street P Civic 1864 Gone Stone/
Brick
Shelocta US 422 C Business ???? In Use Wood  
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Arcadia  
Black Lick This station was at the west end of Main Street at approximately GPS: 40.475065, -79.180681.
Blairsville There was a freight station on East North Avenue at GPS: 40.432546, -79.262616. It is shown on the 1903 map, but on the 1909 map the platforms have been removed and the bulding is being used as a planing mill (H.W. Ferguson Planing Mill). The 1897 map shows there was a baseball field here with a grandstand, then the freight station building was there on the 1903 and 1909 maps. In 1915 a baseball field with grandstand is shown here again. The station likely was taken out of service with the coming of the low grade line nearby.
Carlson The Cambria & Indiana RR formerly the Blacklick & Yellow Creek RR was originally established in 1904 and changed ownership and names in 1909. It was mostly a coal-hauling RR, but did offer passenger service via mixed trains. Passenger operations ceased aorun 1932.
Cherry Tree This was the original Cherry Tree station. It burned down and was replaced by the station listed below.
Cherry Tree Photo taken circa 1930. Second station to exist on site, replaced original one which burned down. According to engineering maps, station was situated on Cherry Tree & Dixonville Railroad property, at the northernmost end of the PRR's Susquehanna Extension Branch. Note the PRR style station sign, without the Keystone (possibly a hint to the joint NYC/PRR CT&D operations). New York Central passenger operations ceased circa 1930s. Pennsylvania/Cherry Tree & Dixonville passenger operations ceased 1947.
Clarksburg  
Clymer This station was located on the Western Branch of the Cherry Tree & Dixonville Railroad in Clymer, Pennsylvania. It served both the New York Central and the Pennsylvania railroads. The CT&D was jointly used by the NYC & PRR - it had no trains of its own. The station was built in 1906. NYC passenger service ended in 1933 and PRR passenger service ended in 1947.
Commodore  
Creekside  
Cush Cushion  
Diamondville  
Dixonville  
Edri
(Coalport)
 
Ernest  
Fleming Summit The station was on Fleming Summit Road.
Gipsy Freight station.
Glen Campbell  
Glory  
Goodville  
Greismore  
Heilwood
(Possum Glory)
The station was originally known as Possum Glory even though the town was always called Heilwood. That station's name was officially changed to Heilwood in 1912.
Hillman  
Homer City  
Hooverhurst  
Idamar  
Indiana There may have been a wood frame station here first, but the first brick station was on the NW corner of Phildelphia Street and 8th Street at GPS: 40.623141, -79.154847. There was a brick freight station next to it on the north side. The 1887 map shows these as seperate buildings, but the 1892 map shows them joined together. A freight shed and platform were later added on to the north side of the building. The tracks ended at water street with a couple of tracks serving businesses on the north side of Water Street.
Indiana Sometime between 1903-1910 a new wood freight station was built on the south side of Water Street at GPS: 40.624230, -79.155490.
Indiana Sometime between 1910 and 1916 this previos brick passenger/freight combination station was torn down and a new brick passenger-only station was built on essentially the same site (GPS: 40.623450, -79.154813). This station was demolished in 1967.
Indiana There was a freight station on the south side Water Street between North Station Avenue and North 11th Street at GPS: 40.624356, -79.161300.
Iselin

This station, built in 1905, sat in a valley a short distance outside of town close to the mine tipple. It was removed in 1930s or 40s. Some previously claimed that the old company store in town was the station, but it was not.

Josephine
(Bells Mills)
This station was off Bells Mills Road in the vicinity of GPS: 40.475352, -79.181918.
Josephine
(Bells Mills)
This station was off Bells Mills Road in the vicinity of GPS: 40.475065, -79.180681. Both the PRR and BR&P had small stations here with the B&RP station being just to the NW of the PRR station. The PRR had a small freight station next to it's passenger station. Both stations were likely erected around 1906 with the contstruction of the Josephine Blast Furnace.  
Kinter  
Lovejoy  
Manver  
Marion Center  
McIntyre  
Oak Tree Station This town is called Hamill, but the station was referred to as Oak Tree.
Pine Flats Shelter was located on the Possum Glory Branch of the Cherry Tree & Dixonville Railroad between Manver (the interchange yard with the Cambria & Indiana Railroad) and Wandin (the CT&D's main line).
Pine Flats  
Rexis  
Rexis  
Rossiter Passenger station.
Rossiter Freight station.
Saltsburg Sat on Washington Street. Built 1884.
Scott Glenn  
Shanktown  
Sides  
Sindey  
Starford  
Stiles  
Wehrum  
Wilgus Freight station.
1895 INDIANA COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

Blairsville (PRR) - This was the first station in the town of Blairsville. I was previously told that, "Due to the Johnstown Flood of 1889, the railroad right-of-way and station site was relocated to higher ground. This put the main line the greater part of a mile east, and so a new station was constructed." However, that story doesn't jive with old maps as the current track alignment and station location are shown on the 1871 map. You can't tell which station is at the site in 1871, but the 205 East Market Street site is certainly the same. 

Saltsburg (Northern Pennsylvania RR) - Built by local stone masons John Martin and S.S. Jamison. The Northwestern PA RR was acquired by the Western Pennsylvania RR in 1860s and then by the PRR in 1880. When the PRR acquired the station, it moved the line and built a new station in 1884 on Washington St. The station served as town hall from 1886-1927, a bowling alley from 1950-1978, and currently  houses borough offices and the police department. A fire destroyed part of the building in 1978 and the appearance was altered.