ERIE  COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Current
Use
Date
Built
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
Corry West side of Center Street
(GPS: 41.920577,-79.640944)
P Railroad 1951 In Use Brick  
Erie
AND
123 W 14th Street
(GPS: 42.120994,-80.081856)
P Restaurant 1927 In Use Brick  
Erie 1304 Sassafras Street
(GPS: 42.120934,-80.084678)
F Business ???? Gone Brick  
GIRARD
(Miles Grove)
(Lake City)
2203 Rice Avenue
(GPS: 42.015092, -80.343360)
P Business ???? In Use Wood
Girard
AND
Mechanic Street north of the tracks
(GPS: 42.012432, -80.327576)
C Business ???? None Wood
Lake City 500 Culbertson Drive
(GPS: 42.032301, -80.333216)
???? Residence ???? None Wood
North East Wall Street & Robinson Street
(GPS: 42.209799, -79.838541)
P Museum 1899 In Use Brick
North East Wall Street & Robinson Street
(GPS: 42.209066, -79.840497)
C Museum 1869 In Use Wood
West Springfield Holiday Road south of PA-5 C Private ???? None Wood
Union City East High Street (US 6)
(GPS: 41.899381, -79.844211)
P Business ???? In Use Stucco  
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Albion This station was on the north side of Pearl Street on the west side of the tracks at GPS: 41.892630, -80.362323.
Albion Station
(Wannetta)
This station was on the south side of Wannetta Road on the east side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 41.887721, -80.384752.
Belle Valley In 1876 the station was on the south side of Norcross Road on the northwest side of the tracks (GPS: 42.107249,-80.010542). Later maps have the station on the north side of the road on the NW side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 42.107636, -80.009950.
Concord Station
(Elgin)
In 1876 the station was on the east side of Elgin Road on the south side of the tracks (GPS: 41.892778,-79.734762).
Concord This station was on the west side of Elgin Road on the south side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 41.892671, -79.735003.
Corry
AND
The original union station, built in 1866 by the A&GW, and used by the P&E and the Oil Creek RR, was on the east side of Center Street (GPS: 41.920752,-79.6403). The Union Depot Hotel was next to the station to the east. That hotel was gone by 1904.
Corry Before moving passenger operation into the union depot, the P&E had its original station at Cross Street. Does anyone know the details of this station?
Corry The Erie RR freight house was on the east side of 1st Avenue at GPS: 41.920104, -79.642952.
Corry The P&E freight house was on the west side of 1st Avenue at GPS: 41.920012, -79.644056. This freight house, built in 1883 with a two-story head end, was later expanded with long sheds on the west side of the original building (as shown on the 1915 map). This station may have housed passenger operations after the union station went out of service.
Corry
AND
A joint freight transfer station was built here in 1885. Does anyone know the specific location?
Cranesville This station was at the east end of Gage Road at approximately GPS: 41.903345, -80.350267.
Cross This was the E&P station for East Springfield, being 1.5 miles from there. The depot was on the south side of Cross Station Road on the east side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 41.970315, -80.375318. This station is not shown on the 1912 map, but is on the 1923 map.
East Springfield This station was on the west side of Summerville Road on the north side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 41.932506, -80.399716.
Elgin This station was on the east side of Cross Street on the south side of the tracks in the vicinity of GPS: 41.901328, -79.746475.
Elk Creek This station was on Elk Park Road at approximately GPS: 41.997462, -80.356928. The station is shown on the 1941 map.
Erie The first photo shows part of the passenger and part of the freight station. The second photo is of the passenger station. They were located on the south side of 12th Street between Peach and Sassafrass Streets (GPS: 42.122426,-80.083627). This was a terminal station as the tracks ended here so the passenger station was perpendicular to 12th Street. This is now (2015) the location of Erie General Tire.
Erie The original P&E passenger station was on the east side of the State Street Bridge over the railroad below where Hamot Hospital is today. After the P&E moved passenger operations to the new union station in 1864, this depot continued to be used as a freight station.
Erie This old union station sat on the block bordered by Peach Street and Sassafrass Street between 14th and 15th Streets in the same location as the existing union station (GPS: 42.120764, -80.082386). It was built in 1864, opened in 1865, and was jointly owned by the Erie & Northeast RR (later LS&MS) and the Cleveland, Painesville & Ashtabula RR (also later LS&MS). The Philadelphia & Erie RR was a tenant. The NYC tracks were on the north side of the station and the PRR tracks were on the south side. Other sources (New Castle Herald, 7-9-1924) say this station was built in 1861.
Erie The original brick freight station was just to the north of where the existing freight station is. It was at GPS: 42.121095, -80.084879. The newer and larger NYC freight station, and a new PRR freight station were built here sometime between 1900-1921.
Erie
(Dock Junction)
This station was somewhere NE of Pittsburgh Avenue in the vicinity of GPS: 42.101114, -80.125656.
Erie There was a freight house on the north side of West 13th Street at Sassafrass (GPS: 42.121376,-80.084989). This station was built sometime between 1900-1921
Erie There was a freight house was on the east side of Parade Street between 15th and 16th Streets (GPS:42.124066,-80.070151). The frieght shed for this station were very long stretching to the NE past Wallace Street almost to Ash Street.
Erie There was a freight station on the west side of French Street at Front Street (now the south side of Bayfront Parkway) at GPS: 42.134669, -80.087440.
Erie There were two large freight stations (and a couple smaller ones) on the waterfront north of East Bayfront Parkway at GPS: 42.139251, -80.085116. These were owned by the PRR and Erie & Western Transportation.
Erie This passenger station was on the north side of 19th Street between Holland and German Streets (GPS: 42.119355,-80.072393).
Erie There was a freight station on the eastern corner of German and East 19th Street (GPS: 42.119952,-80.071063).
Esmer Station The station here was likely in the vicinity of PA832 in the vicinity of GPS: 42.092990, -80.141347. It is shown on the 1941 county map.
Fairview In 1876 this station was on the east side of Avonia Road on the south side of the tracks (GPS: 42.039843,-80.26444).
Fairview  
Fairview  
Girard This station was on Rice Avenue (PA18) just north of US 20 on the west side of the tracks at GPS: 41.999995, -80.319997.
Girard The LS&MS freight station was on the north side of the tracks along Depot Street near Walnut Street at approximatley GPS: 42.015751, -80.342866.
Girard Jct.
Station

AND
This station was between West Lake Road and East Creek Road in the vicinity of GPS: 42.013265, -80.370984. There used to be a road to this location that ran along the north side of the LS&MS tracks.
Harborcreek This station was on the NE side of Depot Street (when this street continued north over the tracks) on the north side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 42.167990, -79.952110.
Harborcreek This station was on Depot Street on the north side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 42.167262, -79.951889.
Hewett This station was on the east side of Pond Road on the south side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 41.935230, -80.501006.
Jackson Station This station was on the north side of Jackson Station Road on the west side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 42.028625, -80.009835.
Kanty This station was between East 39th Street and Shannon Road in the vicinity of GPS: 42.122505, -80.008137. It is shown on the 1941 county map.
Keepville This station was on the north side of Carter Road on the west side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 41.868315, -80.394327.
Langdon Station This station was on the south side of Langdon Road on the east side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 42.077040, -80.027795. It is not shown on the 1912 map, but is on the 1923 map.
Le Boeuf Station This station was on the north side of Wheelertown Road on the SE side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 41.906378, -79.909424.
Lexington Station This station was on the east side of Lexington Road on the south side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 41.930666, -80.377047.
Lexington Station The maps from 1912 and 1923 show both a B&LE station and an E&P station here near where the lines crossed, but neither station was at the diamond. The E&P station was on the east side of the tracks on the old road (now gone) that used to run west/east from Church Road to Lexington Road where Chruch Road turns south today. The station was at approximately GPS: 41.929506, -80.380482.
Lake City This station was moved from ???? to 500 Culbertson Drive (GPS: 42.032301, -80.333216). Paul Warner writes, "My parents bought this home in 1973 from the dentist, Dr. Baxter. It was a train station, was moved in the 1940's and then the upstairs was built. A lady and her son pulled in the driveway one day...she explained that her husband built the upstairs and they had lived there when he worked for the railroad. The house was sold in 2010, but had to be torn down and re-built when it was discovered there was a problem with termites." The building has the profile of an NKP station, can someone confirm whether this was the Lake City NKP station or from somewhere else?
Lovell This station was on the west side of PA89 on the north side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 41.907467, -79.703640.
Merritt This station was one mile west of West Springfield Station and five miles east of Conneaut. It was on the south side of the tracks on the west side of Huntley Road at approximately GPS: 41.936831, -80.478103.
Mill Village  
Moorhead
(Moorheadville)
In 1876 this station was on the east side of Moorheadville Road on the south side of the tracks (GPS: 42.185706,-79.9035). Later maps place the station on the west side of the road on the north side of the tracks.
Moorhead
(Moorheadville)
This station was on the west side of Moorheadville Road on the south side of the tracks (GPS: 42.185317, -79.903664).
North East The passenger station was east of South Lake Street and north of Grahamville Street at GPS: 42.210057, -79.836084.
North East There was a freight station on the east side of South Lake Street on the north side of the tracks at GPS: 42.209995, -79.836715.
North Springfield
(Springfield Sta.)
This station was on Holliday Road at approximately GPS: 41.994298, -80.425047.
Pennside This station was on the north side of Pennside Road on the west side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 41.850816, -80.401998.
Pennside The E&P and and B&LE may have shared a station here.
Platea  
Sampson
(Sampsonville)
This station was on the south side of Sampson Road on the west side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 42.009092, -79.997697.
Shannon  
State Line Station This station was SE of US 20 near the state line on the south side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 42.240847, -79.763064.
State Line Station This station was on the east side of Gulf Road on the north side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 42.230266, -79.771452.
Stewart Station This station was on the north side of Stewart Road on the east side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 41.897776, -79.661163. This station is shown on the 1912 map, but the line was torn up by the 1920s.
Summit Station Not to be confused with the E&P RR station in Crawford County. This station was on the west side of what is now PA77 at approximately GPS: 41.866580, -79.647973. This station is shown on the 1912 map, but the line was torn up by the 1920s.
Swanville In 1876 this station was on the southwest side of Millfair Road on the south side of the tracks (GPS: 42.068243,-80.201719).
Swanville The NKP and B&LE stations were also likely on Millfair Road. They likely shared a station. Does anyone know the details?
Swanville  
Thornton Junction
AND
This station was around GPS: 41.991339, -80.375473. There are no roads to this location now, but it is south of West Middle Road and east of Townline Road.
Union City The passenger station sat between Miles Street and Lincoln Street about 100 feet south of Concord Street at GPS: 41.895261, -79.846205. Photo taken 1916.
Union City The freight station was on the east side of Lincoln Street at GPS: 41.895136, -79.845459.
Union City The original wood frame combination P&E station was on the NW side of Market Street (formerly Crooked Street), on the south side of the tracks (GPS: 41.898592,-79.842619). The OC&AV RR also used this station as there was a spur to the south side of the station on that line as well. The new station (still standing) was built between 1900-1905, but the original station survived serving as a freight station until an unknown date as it is still shown on the 1911 Sanborn map marked as a freight station.
Wallace Junction
AND
This station was east of Township Road 980 at approximately GPS: 42.014826, -80.318113.
Waterford This station was on the south side of Depot Road on the west side of the tracks (GPS: 41.948986,-79.965282).
Wesleyville
AND
This union station was located on the west side of Water Street/Lawrence Parkway (formerly Crowley Road) (GPS: 42.144748,-80.014742).
West Mill Creek This station was likely on Powell Avenue in the vicinity of GPS: 42.084073, -80.162558. The station is listed on the 1900 B&LE timetable.
West Springfield
Station
This station was on the north side of Old Albion Road on the south side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 41.938622, -80.456625.
1895 ERIE COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

Girard (LS&MS) - Girard Station was the original name for the station on the LS&MS. When the town of North Girard was established the station took that name. In the mid 50's the town name was changed to Lake City. I spent many hours as a youngster at the station when the freight agent was still there. At one time both the NYC and PRR had passenger service to North Girard, as late as the late 40's. The tracks are the old New York Central water level route from Buffalo to Erie to Cleveland. The Pennsylvania had trackage rights from Girard Junction a few miles west of North Girard to Dock Junction on the west side of Erie, PA where I-79 now crosses the tracks. The people that bought the station and made it a restaurant called it Girard Station as the sign shows but the station is in the center of "downtown" Lake City, PA. --C. Melville Hazen

Girard (NKP) - In order to move the bldg. it was split in half and moved one section at a time. When you see it today you can still see where it was split, they never covered it up. In 1912 the location of the station was on the NE side of Lake Street on the south side of the tracks at GPS: 42.008987, -80.340218.

Lake City (Unknown) - I have been told that this is a railroad station that was converted into a residence at 500 Culbertson Drive. This seems dubious, but can anyone verify this for sure?

Northeast (LS&MS) - Houses the Lake Shore Railway Historical Society Museum.

Northeast (LS&MS) - This was the original passenger/freight station in North East. It was moved west about 400 feet when the LS&MS built the "new" passenger station in 1899. After it was moved it served as a freight station. The brick passenger station was last used by NYC 1960 and the wooden combo station was last used in 1957. The Lake Shore Railway Museum features several locomotives, passenger cars, and rolling stock on the grounds.

West Springfield Station (NYC) - Moved from original location. Now used for storage on a farm.