ELK  COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Current
Use
Date
Built
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
Ridgway West Main Street and PA948
(GPS: 41.421035, -78.739426)
P Business 1905 In Use Brick  
Ridgway North Broad Street
(GPS: 41.425217, -78.731449)
P RR Storage 1907 In Use Brick
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Arroyo This was a Clarion River Railway (later PS&N, later this branch was Tionesta Valley Rwy.) station. According to a newspaper report, the TVRR freight station here burned down on August 4, 1930 (New Castle News, 8-4-1930).
Barr Was formerly known as Benett's Branch and was the site of the first post office in the county.
Bear Creek  
Benezette  
Benezette
Station
 
Benzinger  
Brandy Camp Shown as a flag stop on the 1915 timetable.
Brockport  
Brockway This was along the line that followed Millstone Creek.
Byrnedale  
Caledonia  
Caledonia  
Cardiff This was the terminus of the Byrnedale Branch.
Carlson  
Carman  
Carman
AND
This station served both the BR&P and the Clarion River Railway and stood at the junction of the two lines.
Carman
AND
This may have been a later station replacing the one above, or it may be the same station as above after heavy modification.
Carman An old boxcar may have sereved as a freight station here for the Clarion River Railway.
Chaffee  
Clarion Junction This station was near the confluence of the Clarion River and Indian Run northeast of Johnsonburg.
Clermont  
Croyland
AND
This station served the Ridgway and Clearfield RR (PRR) and the Clarion River Railway (PS&N). The station was originally in Carman, but was moved to Croyland in 1892.
Cuneo  
Dagus  
Daguscahonda  
Dahoga  
Dents Run  
Dents run  
Detsch  
Drummond  
Elbon  
Ellmont
(Blue Rock)
The photo is from 1894.
Fitzgerald This was along the line that followed Millstone Creek.
Force  
Garovi This Ridgway & Clearfield RR station was located along what is now the Clarion-Little Toby Creek Trail at GPS: 41.340500, -78.827020.
Gillen  
Glen Hazel  
Grant  
Grant  
Greene This station was just west of Winslow Hill Road along the Sinnemahoning Creek.
Groll
(Scheberel)
 
Hallton This was a Clarion River Railway station and likely served the Tionesta Valley Railway line that came down Spring Creek as well.  It was a few hundred yards up Spring Creek on the left side of the road.
Helen Mills  
Hyde  
Hyde This location is now known a Challenge on modern maps. It was on the Toby Branch of the Erie RR between Brockport and Kyler's Corners.
Instanter According to the book History of the Counties of McKean, Elk, Cameron and Potter, Pennsylvania published by J.H. Beers & Co in 1890, "Instanter, seven miles south of the site of Instanter of ancient times, is the name of a new depot on the new C. & J. Railroad. The tannery of Shultz & Hoyt was established at this point, and opened in January, 1890." The railroad is also referred to as the Johnsonburg and Clermont in the same book and was leased to the PRR. The site of the town is now underwater due to the East Branch Flood Control Dam.
Irwintown  
Italy This was along the line that followed Millstone Creek.
James City Kane & Elk RR  
Johnsonburg This station was on Baline Street/Ridgway Avenue south of Grant Street on the west side of the tracks at GPS: 41.485184, -78.678461.
Johnsonburg A new station was built here in 1887. It was between the P&E and Erie tracks west of Center Street at GPS: 41.489126, -78.677143. It was replaced by the station listed below, but survived until the mill explanded southward in the early 1900s.
Johnsonburg This second generation station, built in 1893, was located near the intersection of Center Street and Bridge Street on the east side of the tracks at GPS: 41.488025, -78.676517.
Johnsonburg This large freight station was at the intersetion of Center Street and Chestnut Street (this street does not go through to the tracks anymore). It was located at GPS: 41.487203, -78.675914.
Johnsonburg This freight house was on the east side of the Erie tracks just west of Center Street at GPS: 41.488851, -78.676725. This was the site of an earlier engine house and turntable.
Kaulmont  
Kersey  
Ketner  
Ketner There was an old freight terminal that was used for unloading dam building materials at the end of Ketner Road.
Kylers
Corners
 
Loleta The station stood near the intersection of "Loleta Road" (3002) and "Loleta Grade Road" (labeled "Forestry Road"). This was along the line that followed Millstone Creek. The station also served as the company store for the town. The huge Loleta sawmill was immediately across the TVRy tracks to the NE of the store. "Forestry Road" was built on the TVRy grade all the way to Parrish.
Madge Station
(Lamont)
 
Major  
Medix Run  
Medix Run  
Merrill  
Midmont Station  
Mt. Pleasant This station was across the Sinnemahoning Creek from Summerson.
Nansen  
Nichols Run EMPORIUM
& RICH
VALLEY RR
This is shown on the 1915 map as the terminus of this line. It was on the eastern border of Jones Township.
North Fork This station is shown on the 1914 county map, but is not shown by the time of the 1941 map.
Ogilsby This was along the line that followed Millstone Creek.
Paine  
Portland mills A Clarion River Railway station.
Rasselas This station was across from the Fritz Road/Rasselas Road intersection. 
Rathburn  
Ridgway The Erie had trackage rights over the PRR from Johnsonburg to Brockway. Does anyone know where this station was located?
Ridgway The original wood frame P&E passenger station was at the same site as the existing station at North Broad Street (GPS: 41.425217, -78.731449). In 1884 the station was moved 1/4 mile so it was closer to the junction with the Ridgway & Clearfield RR.
Ridgway The original freight station was on the west side of Borad Street at GPS: 41.425442, -78.732103. A larger freight house replace it in the same location sometime between 1904-1909 (likely in 1907 when the new passenger station was constructed).
Ridgway The original wood frame combination B&RP depot was at the same location as the existing station at West Main Street and PA948 (GPS: 41.421035, -78.739426).
RIDGWAY A new freight house was built around 1905 when the new brick passenger station replaced the old wooden compbination station. This freight station was on Main Street on the south side of the tracks at the Chestnut Avenue intersection at GPS: 41.420605, -78.741872.
Rolfe
(Wilmarth)
This station was on the north side of Main Street on the NW side of the tracks at GPS: 41.499135, -78.682263. The name of the station was changed from Wilmarth to Rolfe in 1879. In 1882 the 5-mile Rolfe Branch opened from this station. A new station was built here in 1887 when the previous station burned down. 
Russell City  
Shawmut  
Shelvey Station  
St. Marys An early station here was destroyed by a fire in 1872.
St. Marys This station was located on Erie Avenue NE of Lafayette Street on the SE side of the tracks at GPS: 41.428641, -78.559447. It was built in 1881.
St. Marys The freight station was on Erie Avenue at Diamond Street on the SE side of the tracks at GPS; 41.429793, -78.557584. Sometime between 1904-1907 a larger freight station was contructed just a few feet north of that location to replace the original freight house.
St. Marys The PS&N combination depot (later just a freight house) was within the PS&N office/shops complex between Depot Street and Elk Creek. It was on a siding track at approximately GPS: 41.428830, -78.557717.
Straights  
Summerson The B&S station here was on the noth side of the creek and called Mt. Pleasant.
Toby Mines  
Weedville  
Weedville
Station
 
Weedville
Station
 
Whistletown  
Whistletown  
Wilcox The station was not within coverage of Sanborn maps. Does anyone know what the location of this station was?
WIldwood This station is shown on the 1914 county map, but is not shown by the time of the 1941 map.
Winlack This was along the line that followed Millstone Creek.
1895 ELK COUNTY RAILROAD MAP