DAUPHIN  COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Current
Use
Date
Built
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
Elizabethville South Market & Railroad Streets
(GPS: 40.547918, -76.811138)
C Business ???? Gone Wood
Harrisburg Aberdeen Street at Market
and Fourth Streets
(GPS: 40.262116, -76.878189)
P Railroad 1887 In Use Brick
Lykens Arch Street at Market Street
(GPS: 40.566210, -76.700213)
C Museum 1892 Gone Wood  
Middletown 136 Brown Street
(GPS: 40.193498, -76.728685)
F Railroad 1896 In Use Brick
Middletown Wilson Street between Union Street
and Catherine Street
(GPS: 40.193793, -76.732738)
F Business ???? In Use Wood  
Millersburg North side of West Center Street
(GPS: 40.540186, -76.962829)
P Society ???? In Use Brick  
Millersburg 183 Moore Street
(GPS: 40.542264, -76.962827)
F Business ???? In Use Wood  
Swatara NE side of Hockersville Road & Railroad Street
(GPS: 40.279518, -76.665755)
P Business 1921 In Use Brick  
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Beaver Creek
(Beaver Sta.)
As shown on the 1875 map, there was an early station here on the Lebanon Valley Branch east of Pleasant view Road on the north side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 40.268837, -76.740211. This was originally known as Beaver Station.
Beaver Creek The name Beaver Station was changed to Beaver Creek in 1900 to avoid confusion with Beaver Station on the Wilmington & northern Branch. 
Boyd  
Brownstone  
Bucklock Station An early station is indicated here on the 1875 map. This station was south of Royalton near the intersection of River Road and South Geyers Church Road at approximately GPS: 40.164860, -76.718736. The station does not appear on later maps from 1926 or 1941.
Budds Siding Not sure if there was a station here. It was between Lykens and Dayton Station.
Clarks Ferry  
Clifton This station was on the south side of Fulling Mill Road at approximately GPS: 40.230206, -76.727359. A station is shown here on the 1941 county map.
Dauphin The first station here was on the old right of way (the tracks ran along Allegheny Street). The station was near the east end of Allegheny Street just across Stony Creek at approximately GPS: 40.364745, -76.928118. It was built around 1859.
Dayton Station This station was north of US-209 in the vicinity of GPS: 40.573305, -76.640837. It was on the north side of the tracks. This station is shown on the 1926 county map on the Williams valley Branch of the Reading.
Docklow This was the first station east of Steelton. There was a bad wreck here on Jan. 20, 1893.
Ellendale Forge This station was on the Schuylkill & Susquehanna Branch. It was near where Stony Creek Road turns into Ellendale Road around GPS: 40.398566, -76.853874.
Fairview The first station here was built in 1859. A new station was built in 1887.
Freys Grove This station was on Frey's Grove Lane at approximately GPS: 40.212724, -76.721943. A station is shown here on the 1941 county map.
Green Fields A shelter was built here in 1893. It was south of the intersection of Market Street and Cemetery Road at around GPS: 40.581072, -76.603951. This station is shown on the 1941 map.
Halifax The first station here was built in 1859. A new station was built in 1884 (likely the one pictured).
Harrisburg The first Reading station at Harrisburg was built in 1871. It was a large combination frame structure at Market and 6th Streets at GPS: 40.263833, -76.878298
Harrisburg In 1891 a temporary passenger station was built at 2nd Street near front Street with the intention of building a larger, permanent structure there. The original station was relagated to handling freight only. The plan to build a new station on 2nd Street never materialized and after only two years of service, the temporary station was shut down and passenger service resumed at the original station at Market and 6th Streets until 1902 when a permanent replacement was finally built (see listing below).
Harrisburg This station, built in 1902, was at Market Street west of 10th Street. It was demolished in the early 1960s to build the post office.
Harrisburg There was a freight station on the south side of Market Street on the NE side of the Pennsylvania Canal at GPS: 40.263668, -76.876212. This station is shown on the 1884 and 1890 Sanborn maps and the 1901 city map.
Harrisburg
(Allison Hill)
This is the Allison Hill freight station.
Harrisburg This was the first station in Harrisburg, built in 1837 by the predecessor Harrisburg, Portsmouth, Mountjoy and Lancaster RR.
Harrisburg This was the second PRR station in Harrisburg. It opened on August 1, 1857. It was owned by the Harrisburg & Lancaster RR and leased to the PRR and also used by the Cumberland Valley RR and the Northern Central RR. It was located east of the intersection of Market Street and 5th Street at GPS: 40.262935, -76.877891.
Harrisburg There was a station on the north side of Maclay Street east of 7th Street on the west side of the tracks at GPS: 40.281492, -76.887637. It was built in 1892.
HArrisburg There was a freight station at what is now the corner of Mary Street and 3rd Street at GPS: 40.258791, -76.877219. This station is shown on the 1901 city map.
Harrisburg A westbound freight station was built west of Asylum Road in 1883.
Heckton This station was on the SW side on Cemetery Road at approximately GPS: 40.349509, -76.910731. A station is shown here on the 1941 map.
Heckton No station is shown here for the PRR on the 1941 county map. There may have been a station here at one time, or the PRR may have shared a station with the reading. Both of those are speculation.
Hershey
(Derry Church)
The town changed its name from Derry Church to Hershey in 1906. This was about the same time this railroad station went out of service for the new Hershey station that was near the factory.
Hershey Built 1906, this station was east of what is now the PA743 overpass on the south side of the tracks at GPS: 40.286907, -76.650578.
Hershey The frieght station was east of the passenger station at GPS: 40.287335, -76.649868.
Highspire This was the original station that was on the west side of Railroad Street and Front Street (Industrial Avenue) at GPS: 40.207481, -76.790676. The first railroad station in Highspire was located along the original tracks of the Harrisburg, Portsmouth, Mt. Joy and Lancaster Railroad, later the Pennsylvania. It was built in 1871. After the ice jam flood of 1904, the PRR elevated a new set of passenger tracks on an embankment right along the Susquehanna River. The old station then became a freight station. The building was razed after the 1972 flood. The original frieght station was on the east side of Railroad Street at Front Street at GPS: 40.207365, -76.790403. Both of these stations are shown on Sanborn maps as late as 1915.
Highspire This station was on the south end of Railroad Street along the raised embankment that was built in 1904 for the new passenger tracks. Aerial photos of Highspire from the 1936 flood show that the station was razed before March 1936.
Hummelstown This station was on the NE side of Railroad Street on the south side of the tracks at GPS: 40.266905, -76.711973.
Inglenook  
Lenker This station was on the east side of Lenker Station/Mohr Road on the south side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 40.537569, -76.864172.
Liverpool Although Liverpool is on the west bank of the river, this station was located across the river on the east side and served as a way stop for passengers disembarking for a ferry ride to Liverpool. Tracks down the west side of the Susquehanna between Selinsgrove and Amity Hall were planned twice but never built. The station was west of PA147 on the bank of the river at approximately GPS: 40.567470, -76.978153.
Lykens This station was built in 1893. It was a terminal-type station on the east side of Market Street at GPS: 40.569486, -76.700201.
Lykens Valley Junction In 1859 the original Millersburg station was moved here to serve as a station as Millersburg was to have a new depot open.
Middletown The original passenger station here was a small frame structure at the corner of Union and Wilson Streets at GPS: 40.193294, -76.731957.
Middletown This station was on the SW side of Mill Street on the NE side of the tracks at GPS: 40.192618, -76.731089.
Middletown The original freight house was a bit to the NE of the existing freight station at GPS: 40.193751, -76.732380. Originally there were three sets of tracks in front of the original station, but when the number of tracks increased to seven (including sidings) sometime between 1902-1911, a new, slightly longer freight station was built. 
Middletown The first Reading station here was established in 1888 and was likely just a waiting room inside the Kline Hotel which was next to the tracks and next to the eventual location of the station built in 1891. An old caboose was used a freight station in the early days until the 1896 freight station (still standing) was erected.
Middletown This terminal-type stone station was on the east side of Union Street between Mill Street and Brown Street at GPS: 40.193810, -76.731398. It was built in 1891.
Millersburg The existing stations here were built sometime between 1896-1902, so there must have been stations here prior to that. Does anyone know the location of the original station(s)? They may have been south of Union Street as Saborn maps from prior to 1896 do not cover that area of town (so the station would not have been shown).
Oakdale This station was on the east side of Oakdale Station Road on the north side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 40.556024, -76.759528.
Paxton This station was on the south side of Paxton Drive/River Drive at approximately GPS: 40.595820, -76.938742. A station is shown here on the 1926 map, but not on the 1941 map.
Rattling Run Station This station was on the Schuylkill & Susquehanna Branch. It was located on the north side of the tracks on the east side of where the tracks cross Rattling Run at GPS: 40.435992, -76.716478.
Rockville This station was between US-322 and Tuscarora Lane at approximately GPS: 40.333269, -76.900628.
Royalton  
Rutherford  
Singersville A station is shown here on the 1926 map. It was on the south side of Stony Creek Road around GPS: 40.377869, -76.911235. It is hard to tell where the rail line went though here by looking at Google Earth. Can anyone give a more precise location for the station? According to the 1926 map, the station was just east of where the RR crossed over the creek here with the station on the north side of the tracks, but I can't tell where that was.
Speeceville  
Steelton
(Baldwin)
A new station was built here in 1867. In 1875, when this location was known as Baldwin, the station was at the end of Locust Street on the north side of the tracks at GPS: 40.230710, -76.843376. This was before the steel mill had grown and when Locust Street went through all the way to the tracks down by the river bank. The station was gone by the early 1880s.
Steelton The later PR passenger and freight stations were south of Christain Street in the vicinity of GPS: 40.233374, -76.848180. A new station was built here in 1887.
Steelton The frame passenger station was on Locust Street just south of Front Street on the north side of the tracks at GPS: 40.234268, -76.840940.
Steelton There was a brick and wood frame freight house on the NW side of Trewick Street at approximately GPS: 40.235482, -76.845039.
Stone Glen This shelter-type  station was on the Schuylkill & Susquehanna Branch. It was on Stone Glen Road in the vicinity of GPS: 40.384719, -76.888980.
Stoverdale This shelter-type station was just SW of where the tracks cross Swatara Creek at approximately GPS: 40.250380, -76.718704. There are no roads leading to this location today. A station is shown here on the 1941 county map.
Water Tank Station This station was on the Schuylkill & Susquehanna Branch. It consisted of a caboose with a shed attached. It was between White Spring and Rattling Run. There are no roads in this area today (nor were there on the 1926 map).
Whitehouse This early station was between Highspire and Middletown in the vicinity of GPS: 40.200175, -76.772831.
White Spring This station was on the Schuylkill & Susquehanna Branch. It was south of Ellendale Road in the vicinity of GPS: 40.400080, -76.844055 on the north side of the tracks.
Williamstown
Station
This station was near the end of Colliery/Mountainside Road in the vicinity of GPS: 40.590982, -76.610191.
Williamstown This station was built in 1893. It was on the east side of South West Street  at Station Street at GPS: 40.579055, -76.618980. This is shown on the 1911 Sanborn map.
Woodside This depot was on the east side of Woodside Station Road on the south side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 40.532202, -76.910003.
1895 DAUPHIN COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

Elizabethville (PRR) - Now houses Dauphin County Weatherization. Tracks were torn up in 1976 and the last passenger train was 1958. In 1881 the PRR renamed the station Elizabethville from it original name of Cross Roads Station. The original Lykens Valley Railroad was first constructed around 1834. It was used to haul coal to the Wiconisco Canal in Millersburg, and from there to the Pennsylvania Canal. The PRR owned collieries in Wiconisco in the late 1800's, as did the RDG. The RDG came over the mountains to the east via Pine Grove, Tremont and Tower City - while the PRR used the LVRR to haul the coal from Lykens/Wiconisco and Williamstown to the Northern Central RR in Millersburg, which by this time ran from Harrisburg to Sunbury on the east shore of the Susquehanna River. There are three railroad right of ways on the Broad Mountain from Wiconisco east to Williamstown and on to Tower City. -- Troy Snyder

Harrisburg (PRR) - Third station at this site. Earlier stations were built in 1837 and 1857.

Middletown (RDG) - Station built after the Middletown & Hummelstown RR became part of the RDG.