CUMBERLAND  COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Current
Use
Date
Built
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
Camp Hill
(White Hill)
East side of South 18th Street south of Hummel Avenue
(GPS: 40.23582,-76.9092)
P Business ???? In Use Wood/
Shingled
Carlisle West Penn Street between North West Street and Pitt Street
(GPS: 40.206078,-77.192307)
P Civic ???? In Use Brick
Carlisle
(Gettysburg Jct.)
501 East Louther Street
(GPS: 40.20228,-77.177764)
C Business ???? Gone Brick
Lees Crossroads About one mile from original site (originally was at grade crossing on Strohm Road at GPS: 40.067350, -77.441563), near the intersection of Strohm and Chestnut Grove Roads. Can someone provide GPS coordinates for this building now? C Storage ???? None Wood
Mechanicsburg 2 Strawberry Alley (West Strawberry and North Market Streets) (40.214004,-77.008613) P Museum 1867 In Use Brick
Mechanicsburg 3 West Allen Street
(GPS: 40.214124,-77.009064)
F Museum 1886 In Use Wood
Mechanicsburg West side of North Washington Street at Soldiers and Sailors Memorial
(GPS: 40.211896,-77.015839)
P Museum 1899 In Use Wood
Robesonia 213 9th Street, New Cumberland
(GPS: 40.231692, -76.871363)
P Business ???? None Wood
Starners Starners Station Road
(GPS: 40.027056,-77.220594)
P Storage ??? In Use Wood  
Trindle Spring South side of Trindle Road at Mulberry Drive
(GPS: 40.207356, -77.027683)
C Business ???? Gone Brick  
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Alterton This station was on the east side of Kerrsville Road on the north side of the tracks (GPS: 40.185588, -77.320393).
Barnitz This station is shown on the 1914 county map. It was on the south side of Pine Road between Chruch Lane and Barnitz Road at approximately GPS: 40.121799, -77.222024.
Bonnybrook There was a platform-type station here.
Bowmansdale H&P
RR
This is the first station in Bowmansdale. The Harrisburg & Potomac Railroad became part of the Philadelphia & Reading System in 1881. The image is likely from the late 1870s and the sign can be seen to read "Bowmansdale" under magnification.
Bowmansdale  
Brandtsville  
bridgeport
(Lemoyne)

AND
In 1872, this station was located in the western corner of the diamond with frontage on the Carlisle and Harrisburg Turnpike (GPS: 40.247842,-76.890457). New passenger and freight stations were built here in 1893.
Boiling Springs  
Carlisle The first station was at the SW corner of Pitt and High (formerly Main) Streets. The tracks ran down High Street. A small station is shown here on the 1872 map on the south side of High Street next to the Madison House which was on the SW corner of High and Pitt (GPS: 40.201589, -77.192077). That small original station there was later replaced with a larger brick structure that had the RR station and offices on the first two floors and a hotel on the thrid floor. This is seen on the 1885 Sanborn map.
Carlisle This station opened in 1891 and was on the NW corner of Pitt and High Streets at GPS: 40.201846, -77.191706. Only the foundation of this station is shown on the 1890 map.
Carlisle
(Gettysburg Jct.)
The extant brick station that is at Gettysburg Junction was originally a freight house. The wood frame passenger station was next to it. That passenger station, built in 1886, was subsequently torn down (around 1902) and a wood frame addition was built onto the brick building so it thereafter served both passengers and freight. 
Carlisle In 1872 there was a freight house on the south side of High Street just east of West Street on a short spur that ran 1/2 block south off the main line (GPS approximately 40.20167,-77.193273).
Carlisle There was a freight house on the NW corner of High Street and Cherry Street at GPS: 40.202602, -77.200976.
Carlisle
(South Mountain Junction)

AND
In 1872 there was a frame passenger station at the bend in East Louther Street (just behind to the NE of where the existing brick CVRR station is). It was at GPS: 40.202361, -77.177554. This station was known as South Mountain Junction as it sat between the CVRR tracks and the South Mountain Iron Company RR tracks. This station was known as Carlisle Junction on the South Mountain RR (not to be confused with the station listed below) and later as Gettysburg Junction and CVRR Junction. Both the existing brick station and the frame passenger station are shown on the 1896 Sanborn map. By 1902 only the brick Gettyburg Junction freight house remained, however by 1909 a wood frame addition was made to this building and it once handled both passenger and freight traffic.
Carlisle The passenger station was built in 1892 and was at the intersection of High Street and York Road at GPS: 40.200502, -77.179324.
Carlisle This later generation freight station was at 404 East High Street (GPS: 40.200497, -77.180208).
Carlisle Junction This station was west of Zion Road near Mount Holly Springs around GPS: 40.124299, -77.179004.
Cleversburg Junction This station was built in 1906. The 1912 map shows this station on the west side of Neil Road on the north side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 40.049860, -77.477504. It is here where a branch line went south through Cleversburg and then east to the No. 7 Ore Bank.
Craigheads This station was closed by the Reading in 1901. The station was east of Zion road near where the tracks cross Yellow Breeches Creek at approximately GPS: 40.145871, -77.170902.
Dillsburg Junction This station was on the east side of Mulberry Drive at approximately GPS: 40.215097, -77.027855.
D&M Junction Station
AND
This station was on Williams Grove Road in the vicinity of GPS: 40.143081, -77.035981.
Elliotson
(Goodhope)
A station is shown here as "Goodhope Station" on the 1872 county atlas. It was on the west side of what is now McAllister Church Road on the north side of the tracks (GPS: 40.198708,-77.272929). This station was only one mile east of the Greason station.
Enola  
Goodyear
(Zions Church)
This station was on Peach Glen Road at approximately GPS: 40.043495, -77.205152.
Grantham  
Graythorne
(Walnut Bottom)
This station, at least in the beginning, was part of a warehouse. It was on the west side of High Mountain Road on the north side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 40.088357, -77.404055.
Greason In 1872 the station here was on the east side of Greason Road on the north side of the tracks (GPS: 40.194348,-77.291243).
Hays Grove This station was built in 1900 and closed by 1947. According to the 1914 map the station was on the west side of Hays Grove Road on the north side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 40.096002, -77.373711.
Henry Clay  
Hunters Run This station was NW of carlisle Road at approximately GPS: 40.078432, -77.195243.
Huntsdale The P&R agent occupied a private building here until the RR abandoned it as a station and stop in 1902. In 1911, the Reading built its own station building here and resumed service. This station was on the west side of Lebo Road (T-428) on the south side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 40.103602, -77.307925.
Kerrsville  
Laurel Forge This station was in the vicinity of where the tracks crossed Pine Grove Road.
Leidighs  
Lemoyne A new station was built here in 1870.
Lemoyne This station was built in 1893. It was on the south side of Market Street east of West 3rd Street at approximately GPS: 40.246817, -76.892540. It was right behind the Valley Railway car barn that had frontage on Market Street.
Longsdorf This station was on the west side of Station Road on the north side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 40.102463, -77.339835. A flagstop shelter was first constructed in 1892 and later a station was built.
Mechanicsburg There was a freight station that pre-dated the one built in 1886 that is still standing. The 1885 map shows a freight station that was at the same location (Allen Street), but was oriented a bit more to the north with frontage on North Market Street and a water tank attached to the west end.
Middlesex On the 1914 map this station is shown on the SW side of Old Stonehouse Road on the south side of the tracks (GPS: 40.221650, -77.124581).
Moores Mill This station was on the west side of Montsera Road on the south side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 40.113798, -77.284617. It is shown on the 1914 county map.
Mt. Holly Springs The station for the PH&P Branch was a small building on the east side of Chestnut Street on the north side of the tracks at GPS: 40.123196, -77.192098. There was a small freight house on the west side of Chestnut Street on the north side of the tracks at GPS: 40.123186, -77.192274. These stations are shown on the 1916 Sanborn map.
Mt. Holly Springs In 1872 this station was on the east side of the Mt. Holly Paper Company on the north side of Mountain Street. This location is now near the driveway to the factory there now. The station was located at approximately GPS: 40.112915,-77.184523 on the west side of the tracks.
Mt. Holly Springs The Reading-era combination station for the Gettysburg Branch (formerly the South Mountain RR) was on the south side of East Pine Street on the east side of the tracks at GPS: 40.114677, -77.183839.
New Cumberland The original station here was at the NW end of 3rd Street (GPS: 40.228146, -76.86273). A new station was built here in 1886.
New Cumberland A larger station was built here between 1902-1908 at the same location as the original station.
New Kingstown This station was on the east side of North Locust Point Road on the north side of the tracks (GPS: 40.225914, -77.075767). The 1914 map shows the station on the west side of the road on the south side of the tracks (although these maps are not always accurate).
Newville
(Newtown)
This station was on the "low line" of the CVRR. It was on Railroad Avenue south of Walnut street (GPS: 40.166388,-77.402134). The brick stationmaster's house that sat next to the station is still standing and you can see the outline of where the station was torn down from the west outer wall of the house. This part of Newville used to be called "Newtown." The original station built here was just a bit to the west of the location described above.
Newville There was a freight station between Pennsylvania Avenue and Cumberland Avenue (when those streets went through to the tracks). It was on the north side of the tracks at GPS: 40.165664, -77.404401.
No. 7 Ore Bank There may have been a shelter here for the miners. A station is shown here on the 1914 map. According to that map this was in the vicinity of GPS: 40.020247, -77.451293. This branch line went south from the P&R line at Cleversburg Junction through Cleversburg and then east to the No. 7 Ore Bank.
Oakville Was the "Smith Residence" and also the CV station. This station was ont he SW side of Oakville Road on the NW side of the tracks (GPS: 40.126485,-77.455711).
Pine Grove Furnace  
Rossmoyne  
Shippensburg
AND
This station was located on the south side of West King Street at Fayette Street at GPS: 40.049084, -77.523813. After passenger service stopped, the station was used as the Shippensburg Public Library for many years before it was demolished.

The station was shared by both railroads since they both terminated in Shippensburg. Passengers coming from Harrisburg had to leave the P & R train and board the WM train to continue to Hagerstown. Just the opposite going the other way. There were occasional run thru trains. Also, the P&R tracks had to cross over the Cumberland Valley Railroad tracks just east of the CVRR station on East Earl Street. The CVRR would not let the P&R cross at grade so that had to go over the CVRR. Passengers were forced to walk the block from one station to the other if they needed to get on a different railroad.
Shippensburg There was a freight station on the east side of South Seneca Street between Garfield and Orange Streets at GPS: 40.048311, -77.520151.
Shippensburg In 1872 the station was on the west side of Earl Street halfway between King and Orange Streets at GPS: 40.049866, -77.520254. The tracks ran down the middle of Earl Street. This station was opened in 1866.
Shippensburg This second generation station was on the NW corner of Orange Street and Earl Street at GPS: 40.049160, -77.519871.
Shippensburg There was a freight house on the west side of South Earl Street south of Garfield Street at GPS: 40.047438, -77.518948. It was opened in 1866.
Shippensburg This was the stop for the Cumberland Valley State Normal School (now Shippensburg University). The tracks bordered the campus.
Shiremanstown The first station here was at the north end of Railroad Street (when that street ended south of the tracks). It was on the north side of the tracks (GPS: 40.224877,-76.956224).
Shiremanstown This second-generation station was on the south side of the tracks, along the east side of Railroad Avenue. It was built in 1886, and demolished in 1949.
Upper Mill  
West Fairview In 1872 this station was on the north side of Market Street (at Third) on the NE side of the tracks (GPS: 40.273694, -76.917054). The 1910 Sanborn map shows a freight station at this location which may have been the original combination station.
White Hill A new station was built here in 1886.
Williams Grove This station was in or near the amusement park.
1895 CUMBERLAND COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

Carlisle (Gettysburg Junction) (CVRR) - This brick station was originally a freight house with the seperate building as the passenger station. That passenger station, built in 1886, was subsequently torn down (around 1902) and a wood frame addition was built onto the brick building so it served both passengers and freight. 

Mechanicsburg (CVRR) - Restored CV Station Master's house located next to the passenger station. For more information on the Mechnicsburg stations visit The Mechanicsburg Museum Association.

Robesonia (Lebanon Valley) - Moved from Robesonia in Berks Co. in 1957.