CRAWFORD  COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Current
Use
Date
Built
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
Cochranton Fairgrounds near the corner of River Street and Walnut Street
(GPS: 41.521339, -80.052198)
C Display ???? None Wood
Meadville 133 Pine Street
(GPS: 41.636858, -80.158257)
C Business ???? Gone Wood
Meadville 19019 Cochranton Road (US 322 and Clark Road)
(GPS: 41.625577, -80.155534)
F Storage ???? In Use Brick  
Titusville 407 Perry Street
(GPS: 41.624056,-79.677551)
F Museum 1893 In Use Wood  
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Adamsville This station was on the north side of Adamsville Road on the west side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 41.512142, -80.365999.
Atlantic This station was on the south side of Atlantic Road on the west side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 41.504719, -80.340780. The 1941 map shows the station on the north side of the road at the west end of Depot Street at GPS: 41.505930, -80.340549.
Buchanan Junction This station was the first south of Meadville. It was west of what is now U.S. 322 at GPS: 41.597384,-80.147324 where the two lines junction. There are no roads to this location today.
Cambridge Springs
(Cambridgeboro)
This station, was at 302 Venango Avenue (US 6) at the end of Spring Street on the south side of the tracks at GPS: 41.803352, -80.059792. The trolley station shown in the photo is still standing (as of 2014). The OCT uses a waiting room in the fire station for their trains. The station is shown on Sanborn Insurance maps as early as 1895.The station was torn down in 1964. The current fire station now sits on the old Erie station property and is now used as a waiting room for the OC&T RR. The land for the fire station was donated by the Erie RR in 1957 with the stipulation that the fire station contain a waiting room for Erie passengers (passenger service had dwindled by then so a full RR station was not needed). By the time the fire station was built however passenger service had virtually ended so it is not clear if the fire station was used for a brief time as a waiting room for the RR.
Cambridge Springs There was a freight station on Railroad Street at the end of Carringer Street on the north side of the tracks at GPS: 41.803562, -80.060721. The station was gone by 1927.
Canadohta Lake
(Lakeville Station)
This line was originally the Union & Titusville RR (a.k.a. "The Pigtail Railroad"). The 1876 map shows the RR continuing north from this location into Erie Co., whereas the 1897 map shows the line ending here on the west side of the lake. The 1912 map shows a station here.
Center Road
(Summit Station)
See listing for Summit Station below.
Centerville According to the 1876 map, there were two stations here originally. One was on the OC&AR (Oil Creek & Allegheny River) mainline on the east side of town...
centerville ...and the other was on the OC&AR Union Branch on the west side of town. Both stations were on the north side of what is now Centerville Road on their respective lines. The station on the Union Branch was gone by 1897.
Conneaut Lake The station was on the south side of US 322/PA18 at GPS: 41.602903, -80.297605.
Conneautville This station was at the corner of Main Street and Chestnut Street at GPS: 41.759506, -80.371451. The freight house was next to the passenger station on the SE side.
ConneautvillE Station This station was on the north side of PA198 on the east side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 41.760714, -80.402303. A station is shown here on the 1876 map and thereafter.
Dicksonburg This station was on the south side of Dicksonburg Road on the east side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 41.704907, -80.351527.
Espyville This station was on the north side of PA285 on the west side of the tracks at GPS: 41.605082, -80.465576.
Exposition Park Station This second generation station, built in 1903, was near the corner of Comstock Street and Park Avenue just south of the merry-go-round that was on the corner there. The station was at GPS: 41.634420, -80.316116.
Geneva This station was west of Geneva Road and north of Mill Road on the south side of the tracks (GPS: 41.571713,-80.223316).
Glynden Station This station was on the north side of Glynden Road on the west side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 41.776302, -79.718532.
Grays Mills
(Greytown)
A station is shown here on the 1897 map. It was on the west side of Rosenburg Road on the SW side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 41.681622,-79.755989.
Harmonsburg This station was on the north side of Harmonsburg Road on the west side of the tracks at GPS: 41.663662, -80.343726. The Meadville, Harmopnsburg and Linesville Electric Railway crossed over the tracks near the station as they ran along the north side of the road. According to the Greenville Record-Argus, the station burned down on Sept. 9, 1942.
Hartstown This station was on the north side of US 322/PA18 on the west side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 41.553172, -80.377541. The 1941 map shows the station on the south side of the road.
Hydetown
(Oil Creek)
The original OC&AR station was on the NW side of Diamond Street on the SW side of the tracks (GPS: 41.651006,-79.724114).
Lincolnville This line was originally the Union & Titusville RR a.k.a. "The Pigtail Railroad."
Linesville This station was on South Pymatuning Street just south of East Franklin Street (GPS: 41.653515,-80.422636). The station may have been used by the B&LE as there was a branch of that RR that ended near the station.
Meadville Predecessor of station listed below. It was at the NW end of Chestnut Street (when Chestnut was originally extended through to this location) at GPS: 41.639244, -80.157499. The building that extends to the left in the picture is an old hotel that was gone by 1886.
Meadville This station sat at the NW end of Chestnut Street (GPS: 41.639222, -80.157346). It was built in 1893 on the site of the old A&GW station (listed above), and was demolished in 1972.
Meadville There was a large freight station on Water Street just south of Linden Street (GPS: 41.628756,-80.158181).
Meadville The large A&GW freight building listed above was replaced at the same location by the Erie RR sometime around 1912-1922 with a new multi-building freight complex.
Meadville Meadville
&
Linesville
RR
The original M&L station was in the same place as the existing B&LE freight house at 133 Pine Street (GPS: 41.636806, -80.158281). It was either replaced or extended around 1905-1912 when the Sanborn map shows a longer building at this location.
Meadville
Junction
This station was located at GPS: 41.637104,-80.347781 one-half mile east of Porter/Alter road. There are no roads to that location today.
Mercer Pike
Station
This station was not shown on any maps until the 1941 county map. It was on Mercer Pike at approximately GPS: 41.591511, -80.159897.
Millers Station The first station here was along the tracks to the NW of the intersection of Millers Station Road and Cherry Hill Road at approximately GPS: 41.812299,-79.993451.
Riceville This station was on the north side of PA77 on the west side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 41.776729, -79.804631.
Saegertown According to the 1876 map, the first station here was on the south side of Mill Street on the west side of the tracks at 41.716725,-80.144373. The 1915 map shows the station at that same location.
Shadeland According to the 1912 and 1926 map this station was on the north side of Shadeland Road on the west side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 41.816085, -80.382522. The 1941 map shows the station on the south side of the road (but these maps are not exact).
Shadeland Station Although the 1912 and 1926 mpas do not show a station here, there is one on the 1941 map. It was on the north side of Shadeland Road at approximately GPS: 41.816202, -80.394675.
Shaw's Landing
(Shaw Station)
A depot is shown here on the 1876 county map. It is also shown on the 1941 map near the intersection of US 322 and Kebort Road at approximately GPS: 41.561166, -80.109025.
Shermansville Earlier maps (1912, 1926) place this station on the south side of US 6 on the west side of the tracks (GPS: 41.627420, -80.376861). The 1941 map places this station on the east side of T-378 at approximately GPS: 41.630008, -80.372905. The B&LE corssed the old Meadville, Conneaut Lake and Linesville RR (later to become part of the B&LE) near here.
Spartansburg The original station was on the north side of Main Street on the west side of the tracks (GPS: 41.824425, -79.686289) and was of Oil Creek & Allegheny River RR vintage.
Spartansburg A second generation station (as shown on the 1915 map) was at the north end of Water Street at GPS: 41.826144, -79.687366. By this time the original station was gone.
Springboro Station This town was originally known as Spring and the station as Spring Station. The depot was on the north side of Beaver Street on the west side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 41.800874, -80.390663.
Springboro  
Stony Point This station was on the south side of Township Road 409 on the NW side of the tracks at GPS: 41.574153, -80.326503.
Summit Station
(Center Road)
Not to be confused with the WNY&P RR station in Erie County. Originally known as Summit Station and later as Center Road, this depot was on the north side of West Center Road at approximately GPS: 41.712063, -80.417635.
Titusville This Oil Creek & Allegheny Valley RR (later WNY&P) station was between South Franklin and South Washington Streets on the north side of the tracks (GPS: 41.623984,-79.674397). It was built in 1870 and torn down in the 1960s.
Titusville An earlier frieght station was on the south side of West Mchanic Street between Perry and Monroe Streets. This station burned down on June 5, 1892 during a flood which ruptured oil tanks. The oil on the surface of the water subsequently caught fire and burned the freight depot and 38 railroad cars nearby. The new 1893 station was built just to the east of where this station once stood at GPS:41.624086, -79.678328.
Titusville This station was on the NW corner of Martin and Water Street (GPS: 41.625324,-79.671843).
Titusville There was also a freight station on Water Street east of Martin Street (GPS: 41.62534,-79.670727). The 1893 map shows a very small freight station here with a large platform. The 1898 map shows a much larger building so either a new one was built or the old one was expanded sometime between 1893-1898.
East Titusville Station This station was on the west side of Johnson Avenue on the south side of the tracks. This was at approximately GPS: 41.62145,-79.642886.
Tryonville This predated the station that is still standing. It was located north of Five Corners Road, but south of the stream there. It is shown on the 1876 map, whereas the next generation station is shown at its more northern location on the 1897 map.
Tryonville This station was located at Station Road (GPS: 41.712104,-79.773174). The building collapsed and the ruins were still there as of 2017.
Turnersville
(Turner Station)
This station was on the SE side of State Road on the north side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 41.507372, -80.482361.
Turnersville This location and station was originally known as Leans Corners. This station was in the vicinity of the intersection of East Lake Road and East State Road around GPS: 41.515324, -80.464504.
Venango This station was on Woodcock Road.
Watsons Run Shown on the 1897 map, on the 1912 and 1926 maps the station is located on the west side of Bailey Road on the south side of the tracks at GPS: 41.590415, -80.217462. It is not shown on the 1941 map.
Westford This may have originally been a store/station combo. It was on the north side of Westford Road on the east side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 41.557627, -80.478838.
West Union
(Keborts Corners)
This station was shown as West Union on the 1897 map. It was located east of U.S. 19 and south of the corner of Vernon Drive and Franklin Street at GPS: 41.592386,-80.193243. The station is not on maps from 1912 on.
West Vernon
Station
This station was the first station east of Conneaut Lake. It was on McMichael/Brown-Hill Road SW of West Vernon Road at GPS: 41.597344,-80.265427. There is no town there today (there may have never been one) as this is part of State Game Lands 213. This station is shown on the 1897 county map.
1895 CRAWFORD COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

Cochranton (A&GW) - Moved. Here is an old photo of the station in its original location on the south side of Adams Street (PA173). It was located at GPS: 41.518550, -80.052781.

Meadville (B&LE) - Station now houses Meadville Farm & Garden. Some tracks still exist around the station area. Two bumpers are visible from Mead Ave. The B&LE tracks are still in limited use nearby. To the north they go to the former Avtex Fibers plant to serve Andover Industries. To the south they still extend to Dad's Dog Food. --Pete Gifford