CLARION  COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Current
Use
Date
Built
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
Knox
(Edenburg)
Corner of Railroad Street and Ohio Street
(GPS: 41.236566, -79.535981)
C Vacant ???? Gone Wood
Lucinda Lander Drive & Walnut Street
(GPS:41.313346, -79.369506)
P Vacant ???? In Use Wood
Sarah Furnace Sarah Furnace Road P Residence ???? Gone Wood
St. Petersburg 656 Mill Street
(GPS: 41.160218, -79.653791)
F Residence 1889 Gone Wood
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Alum Rock This station was on the north side of PA58 (Main Street) at approximately GPS: 41.166021, -79.626114.
Anthonys Tunnel Station This station was between New Bethlehem and Leatherwood.
Arthurs This station was at the intersection of Seller Road (TWP-585) and PA66 at approximately GPS: 41.272902, -79.391023.
Billings This station was on the west side of Pine City Road. This is the former Franklin & Clearfield RR line (later LS&MS, later NYC).
Blairs Corners This station was on the north side of PA338 in the vicinity of GPS: 41.181854, -79.561702.
Broken Rock This station was in Porter Township where Leatherwood Road crosses the grade. Leatherwood Station was the next station to the south.
Bryners Station This station was on Bryners Mill Road at approximately GPS: 41.237881, -79.454515.
Clarion PS&C = Pittsburgh, Summerville & Clarion RR. The PS&C was a precursor to the Lake Erie, Franklin & Clarion (LEF&C). This was the original wood frame station that was located on the east side of 9th Avenue between Wood Street and Main Street at GPS: 41.211179, -79.378857. There was a freight station to the east.
Clarion This second generation brick station replaced the station listed above and was in the same location. It was built sometime between 1906 and 1912.
Clarion Junction This station was SW of US-322 at approximately GPS: 41.236207, -79.419433.
Climax  
Crown This station was on the SE side of what is now Haggerty Drive.
Diamond This station was on the Sligo Branch.
Dix Station This station was in the middle of State Game Lands No. 63 along Deer Creek at approximately GPS: 41.220104, -79.456661.
East Brady This combination station was at the NE end of Water Street where the grocery store and restaurant now stand at approximately GPS: 40.989777, -79.611599.
Elk City  
Elmo This station was on the north side of US-322 SE of Fern Road at approximately GPS: 41.276259, -79.541005.
Elss Station This station was between Strattanville and Clarion where the line runs next to US-322. This station is shown on the 1941 county map.
Fairmount  
Foxburg The original AVRR combination station was located between South Palmer Avenue and what is now Main Street (where the tracks used to be). It burned down in 1884.
Foxburg Built in 1885 by the Allegheny Valley, replacing the station that burnt down the previous year. The road officially became a part of the Buffalo and Allegheny Division of the PRR in 1910. Passenger traffic on the line through Foxburg ceased 1950-51, and station was demolished by the spring of 1952.
Foxburg Station built in 1883, destroyed by fire on May 16,1975. No trains on the B&O had gone through Foxburg after 1964, line was removed in 1982.
Gordontown This station was on the west side of Pioneer Road at approximately GPS: 41.185666, -79.305659.
Hawthorn  
Heidrick Station This station was near the county line on Holden Road at approximately GPS: 41.153883, -79.214105. It was only a short distance from the NYC's Sutton Station.
Henderson This station was on the east side of Kingsville Road at approximately GPS: 41.173620, -79.277472.
Hillville Station  
Holden This station was on the NW side of Olean Trail (TWP-2005) at approximately GPS: 41.166689, -79.223723.
Huey
(Cherry Run)
The station was on the north side of Huey Road at approximately GPS: 41.081160, -79.507915.
Jefferson Station This station was on the north side of Jefferson Furnace Road at approximately GPS: 41.202721, -79.563584.
Kingsville This station was on the SE side of Olean Trail (CR-2005) at approximately GPS: 41.130257, -79.266146.
Kline Station This station was on the west side of Kline Road at approximately GPS: 41.298473, -79.585011. Also spelled "Cline" on some timetables.
Knox
(Edenburg)
In 1877 there was a Emlenton, Shippenville & Clarion station on the northeast corner of Ohio and East Railroad Streets. It was at the end of a short spur line. (GPS:41.236435,-79.536145)
Lawsonham The first station was located at GPS: 40.995897,-79.490021. I suspect the second station listed below was as well. According the 1877 county map there was also a section house just north of the station.
Lawsonham
Leatherwood
Station
This station was in Porter Township near where Leatherwood Creek empties into the Allegheny.
Leeper
(Tylersburg Sta.)
Station was at PA36 and Railroad Street.
Limestone This station was on the SE side of PA66 at approximately GPS: 41.129359, -79.325915.
Little Toby Station This station was in the vicinity of GPS: 41.354047, -79.321511.
MAysville
(Mayport)
The 1877 map shows a freight station here, but no passenger station. That may have just been an omission on the map as it also shows a railroad office and hotel nearby. Also known as "New Mayville" at one time. The 1941 map shows the station on the SW side of Mayport Road at approximately GPS: 41.033541, -79.251165.
Mill creek Station This was the terminus of the old Mill Creek Branch that ran north out of Strattanville. The station was just south of where Mill Creek empties into the Clarion River and was a hub for logging. This station is shown on the 1912 map, but not on the 1941 map as the line was gone by then.
Millville  
Monroe
(Monroeville)
Before the line was moved, the Emlenton, Shippenville & Clarion RR went through Monroe in Beaver Twp. According to the 1877 map, the station was on the north side of what is now PA 338 and Monroe Church Road. The station was on the east side of the tracks.
Monterey The early station here according to the 1877 county map was on the east edge of town near the Hotel.
Mortimer There are no roads in this area now, but the station was located around GPS: 40.980934, -79.534324. It is only accessible from the Redbank Valley Trail now. There is a stream that feeds into Redbank Creek here. Does anyone know the name of that stream (Mortimer perhaps)?
New Bethlehem In 1877 the station here was between Wood and Vine Streets on the south side of the tracks at GPS: 41.002366, -79.330370. A new wood passenger station was built on the north side of the tracks at GPS: 41.002540, -79.330370, and the original station on the south side was then used as a freight station (as seen on the 1894 map).
New Bethlehem  A new brick passenger station was constructed in the same location as the second generation passenger station listed above (at GPS: 41.002540, -79.330370). The original Allegheny Valley RR station may be the freight station on the right in the one photo that shows both stations.
Oak Ridge Station  
Paint Mills Station This station was at the intersection of Paint Mills Road and PA66 at approximately GPS: 41.252078, -79.408929.
Parker's Landing
(Pollock)
Also known as Parkers Station and East Parker. The original station was just north of where the old Parker & Karns City RR bridge crossed the river. According to the 1941 map, the station was beneath the PA368 bridge on the south side at approximately GPS: 41.101742, -79.677648. The 1912 map shows the station on the north side of the bridge. These maps are not exact though. 
Phillipston Formerly called Phillipsburg. The 1877 county map shows a station here at the end of what is now Phillipston Road (formerly Walnut Street) at the Armstrong Trail. The station was on the west side of the tracks on the north side of the street (GPS: 40.973807,-79.590041).
Rader This station was ont he west side of Smith Road at approximately GPS: 41.168676, -79.256380.
Red Bank The first station here burned down in 1879.
Red Bank This station was built in 1880 after the previous station burned down. Red Bank was a junction point on the Buffalo & Allegheny Valley Division with the Low Grade branch meeting the two track mainline at the mouth of Red Bank Creek. This station subsequently burned down in 1945.
Red Bank Furnace There was a station here indicated on the 1877 county map. It also shows a "floating hotel" here on the river.
Reidsburg This station was on the east side of PA68 at approximately GPS: 41.150708, -79.403385.
RimersburG Station Removed in the 1970s. Rimersburg station was originally called Centre City and there was a station here as early at the 1870s. This station was on the west side of PA68 on the SW side of the tracks at GPS: 41.052194, -79.494754.
Ritt's Farm This station was on the north corner of Ritts Station Road and Ritts Farm Road at approximately GPS: 41.173470, -79.588568.
Rock Run Station This station was in Porter Township near where Rock Run empties into the Allegheny River. There was also a sawmill there in the 1870s. Nothing remains there today and the area is not accessible by road.
Shannon Station This station was in the vicinity of the end of Swartz Road at around GPS: 40.980693, -79.504969.
Shippenville This station was on the west side of PA208 at approximately GPS: 41.247119, -79.467003.
Shippenville This station was on west side of Roberts Hill Road at approximately GPS: 41.243754, -79.472897. This is shown on the 1941 county map, although the station here burned down on April 26, 1935 (Altoona Tribune, 4-27-1935). The station may have been rebuilt since it was still shown on the 1941 map.
Sligo Removed in the 1970s. The first station here was on the west side of Shorb Street.
Snydersburg This station was on the south side of CR-1008 (GPS: 41.331147, -79.354737).
St. Charles  
St. Petersburg The first station here was a Foxburg, St. Petersbugh & Clarion RR depot. It was near the intersection of Grove Street and Salem Avenue. The 1941 map shows the station on the east side of Railroad street.
Strattanville This station was on Railroad Street. The station burned down on November 7, 1930 (Oil City Derrick, 11-10-1930).
Sutton Station This station was near the county line between Holden Road and TWP-811 at approximately GPS: 41.150713, -79.213837.
Turkey City The 1877 county map shows a station here as does the 1941 map. It was located on the east side of PA338 near the bend at approximately GPS: 41.184324, -79.612770.  
Tylersburg This station was on the north side of Arnold Avenue.
Unknown
(SAlem TWP.)
According to the 1877 county map, there was an Emlenton, Shippenville & Clarion RR station on Brick Church Road. The map gives no name to this location and it has no specific place name today. The station was located at approximately GPS: 41.206378,-79.642854.
Upper Hillville The station was on the NE side of town at approximately GPS: 41.038180, -79.608359. There may have been a station at Lower Hillville as well.
Vowinckel This station was on the NE side of McDonald Drive according to the 1941 county map.
Waterson
(Showers)
This station was on the north side of Waterson Road at approximately GPS: 41.177531, -79.291431.
wEST mONTEREY The 1912 map shows the station at the north end of town.
1895 CLARION COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

Knox (B&O) - Tracks abandoned in 1987 and removed in 2001. Local historical society attempted to gain ownership of station for restoration. Knox was formerly known as Edenburg. It appears from the photos that only the freight part of the original station remains.

Lucinda (B&O) - Vacant, but restored.

Sarah Furnace (PRR) - Building used as station after previous station burned.

St. Petersburg (P&W) - Tracks were removed in 1982. This part of the same line that serviced Knox.