CENTRE  COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Current
Use
Date
Built
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
Bellefonte
AND
320 West High Street
(GPS: 40.911319, -77.781847)
P RR & Civic 1889 In Use Brick
Bellefonte Dunlap Street just north of High Street (GPS: 40.912169, -77.781487) F Storage ???? None Wood
Centre Hall 104 East Wilson Street
(GPS: 40.840049, -77.677810)
P Business 1884 Gone Wood
Lemont 140 Mary Street
(GPS: 40.809301, -77.817686)
C Business 1990 In Use Wood
Snydertown Behind Centre Hall PRR station at
104 East Wilson Street in Centre Hall
(GPS: 40.840049, -77.677532)
P Storage ???? Gone Wood  
State College 152 North Atherton Street (on Railroad Avenue)
(GPS: 40.792125, -77.867827)
C Business 1900 Gone Brick
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Aqua
(Water Tank Sta.)
This station was on the Snow Shoe Branch of the PRR. It was originally the Bellefonte & Snow Shoe RR which ended its independent operation in January 1881, when it was sold to the Bald Eagle Valley Railroad, long a subsidiary of the PRR. The Bellefonte & Snow Shoe and the Moshannon Railroads were merged into the Bald Eagle Valley in 1881 to become the Snow Shoe Branch. The station was originally called Water Tank Station, but the name was changed in May, 1881.
Axemann  
Bellefonte The original wooden frame combination station here was at the same site of the extant brick station at 320 West High Street (GPS: 40.911319, -77.781847). This old station can be seen on the 1887 Sanborn map.
Bellefonte There was a freight station on North Potter Street on the west side of the tracks at GPS: 40.912898, -77.782700. That station may have sat where north Potter Street is today at this location as there were more tracks here in the past.

The Adams Express office was part of a large complex of buildings on the corner of High Street and Dunlop Street at GPS: 40.911725, -77.781347.
Bellefonte The original wood frame station was on North Water Street just south of Lamb Street at GPS: 40.914012, -77.781863.
Bellefonte Sometime between 1904-1911 a new brick passenger station was built at the corner of West Lamb Street and North Water Street (which is the old RR grade). This passenger station was at GPS: 40.914300, -77.782310. A new wooden freight house was build next to the passenger station on the south side. After the railroad went under and the tracks were taken up, the passenger and freight stations were sold and served as the office and storage for the Chemical Lime Company until at least until 1922 (it is shown as such on the Sanborn Map for that year).
Bloomsdorf  
Boynton  
Briarly  
Butts
(Beech Creek)
This station was on the Snow Shoe Branch of the PRR between Rhodes and Fountain. In May, 1881 the PRR changed the name of this station from Beech Creek to Butts likely to avoid confusion with the Beech Creek in Clinton County.
Centre Hall
(Grange Park Station)
   
Chemical Site of Chemical Lime/National Gypsum/Domtar plant. Unclear if there was a station here.
Clarks Station This station was on the Snow Shoe Branch of the PRR.
Coburn This combination station was on Railroad Street. It was built in 1873, closed in 1959, and was torn down in 1962.
Coleville The station was on the south side of Lower Coleville Road at approximately GPS: 40.909278, -77.794469.
Curtain Station
(Roland)
 
Dale Summit  
Dix Not to be confused with Dix Station in Clarion County.
Dunkles  
Eagleville In 1874 there was a passenger station near the corner of Eagleville Road and Railroad Street at GPS: 41.056575, -77.592564. There was a freight depot on the SW side of Eagleville Road at GPS: 41.056340, -77.592894.
Edendale  
Fairbrook  
Fillmore  
Fountain This station was on the Snow Shoe Branch of the PRR.
Fowler This town and station were located near the intersection of Fowler Hollow Lane and Bald Eagle Valley Road (US 220). The station was on the NW side of the tracks. The station was most likely at Fowler's Store first and then perhaps a separate depot was built sometime later.
Gillintown  
Gorton
Graysdale  
Greenbriar  
Gregg  
Gum Stump This station was on the Snow Shoe Branch of the PRR. It was originally the Bellefonte & Snow Shoe RR which ended its independent operation in January 1881, when it was sold to the Bald Eagle Valley Railroad, long a subsidiary of the PRR. The Bellefonte & Snow Shoe and the Moshannon Railroads were merged into the Bald Eagle Valley in 1881 to become the Snow Shoe Branch.
Hannah
(Hannah Furnace)
In 1874 this station was on the NE side of CR-3025 on the SE side of the tracks at GPS: 40.766293, -78.095822. This location was also known as Buddville.
Hecla Park  
Howard In 1874 there was a passenger and a freight station on the south side of Walnut Street on the west side of the tracks at GPS: 41.014074, -77.658329. The 1874 map shows the freight and passenger stations are separate buildings, so that may or may not be the station in the photo.
Hublersburg  
Hunters Park This was the location of an amusement park built by the railroad.
Huston  
Ingleby This town no longer exists. It was NW of Poe Paddy State Park.
Julian
(Julian Furnace)
In 1874 the station was on the north side of the tracks near where Furnace Street intersected with Railroad Street at GPS: 40.864854, -77.939255.
Kato  
Krumrine  
Lagarde
(Alto)
 
Lemont This station was at 140 Mary Street (GPS: 40.809301, -77.817686). The PRR built this wood station on its Lewisburg & Tyrone Branch in the 1880s. Its telegraph call sign was MN. It was the PRR's principal passenger and freight station for Penn State and the surrounding community of State College, about three miles distant. Passenger service was discontinued September 24, 1949. Track was pulled up east of Lemont after Hurricane Agnes caused serious washouts in June 1972, but freight continued to be consigned to Lemont itself until about 1980. The building then fell into disrepair and suffered several fires caused by vandals. A new building was constructed on the site in 1991 to resemble a station.
Linden Hall  
Linns  
Lower Gum Stump  
Marengo  
Martha Furnace
(Martha)
 
Mattern Junction  
Milesburg This station was between the Bald Eagle Valley tracks and the Bellefonte tracks between Depot Street and Railroad Street at GPS: 40.944104, -77.793532.
Mill Hall  
Monument Passenger station.
Monument Freight house.
Morris  
Moshannon
(Per Se)
This station was on the Snow Shoe Branch of the PRR. It was originally on the old Moshannon RR.
Mount Eagle  
Mount Pleasant  
Musser  
Nigh  
Nittany  
Oak Hall  
Old Fort  
Orviston This combination station was just west of the church, across Beech Creek Stream, and just north of Main Street. Passenger service was discontinued in 1933 with the line being torn out in the 1960s.
Osceola Station  
Paddy Mountain  
Panther  
Peru  
Philipsburg The NYC/Beech Creek Railroad's "Philipsburg" station was actually in Chester Hill in Clearfield County on the north side of West Presque Isle Street at GPS: 40.895028, -78.225113. The Borough of Philipsburg is across the Moshannon Creek from this station. This was built as a combination type station. The passanger and second floor station master's residence were razed after fire damage. All that remains is the freight shed portion of the building (See listing on the Clearfield County page).
Philipsburg The original Tyrone & Clearfield RR passenger station was on the corner of Railroad Street and Presque Isle Street at GPS: 40.895382, -78.223195. This station is shown on the 1887 Sanborn map. A new passenger station was constructed at virtually the same location sometime between 1892-1897.
Philipsburg There was a Tyrone & Clearfield RR freight station on the east side of the tracks between West Spruce Street and West Locust Street west of North Front Street at GPS: 40.897977, -78.225374. This station is shown on the all maps from 1874-1910.
Pine Grove mIlls This station was on the north side of West Pine Grove Road at GPS: 40.7333259, -77.8906068.
Pleasant Gap  
Plum Grove  
Port Matilda In 1874 the station was on the NE side of High Street on the NW side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 40.797719, -78.051166.
Powelton  
Red Bank Not to be confused with Red Bank in Clarion County. This was on the BCRR's Red Bank Branch which was a short-lived (1887-1896) branch to serve an ore mine. Red Bank was somewhere south of Stormstown near The Barrens.
Retort  
Rhodes
(Summit)
This station was originally called "Summit," but the name was changed by the PRR in 1881 to "Rhodes."
Rising Springs This town was east of Centre Hall.
Sandy Ridge This station was on what is now Brickyard Lane on the NE side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 40.808985, -78.227167.
Scotia
Scotia  
School House  
Sellers  
Snow Shoe
(Clarence)
 
Snow Shoe This combination station was on the Snow Shoe Branch of the PRR. It was literally in the middle of Olive Street as the tracks ran northwest along the west side of that street. The station was at approximately GPS: 41.029817, -77.948400.
Snow Shoe Intersection  
Stevens  
Stormstown Station  
Struble  
Unionville
(Fleming)
In 1874 the station was on the NE corner of Main and Apple Street on the north side of the tracks (GPS: 40.905603, -77.875426).
Waddle  
Whitmer  
Wingate  
Worth The 1900 PRR timetable lists a freight station at this location. It was between Port Matilda and Martha.
Zerby  
Zion  
1895 CENTRE COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

Bellefonte (Bald Eagle Valley/Bellefonte Central) - HQ of Bellefonte Historical RR. See photo here. The Bald Eagle Valley RR/PRR opened this brick station, telegraph call sign BF, for passenger and express service on February 11, 1889. The freight station (razed around 1970) was about 1,000 feet further north. Originally the passenger tracks were on the east side, between the station and Spring Creek, but these were taken up in the early 1900s. The Bellefonte Central also used this station for its passenger service to and from State College until this service was discontinued in March 1946. PRR passenger service ended August 23, 1950. In the early 1980s, the Bellefonte Chamber of Commerce purchased the station and refurbished it for its offices. The chamber rents space to the Bellefonte Historical Railroad, which has a ticket office here for its weekend Rail Diesel Car excursions. --Note by Michael Bezilla

Bellefonte (BEV - Freight) - This station is the original freight house and is labeled as such on the map from 1874. This station was likely retired when a new freight station was constructed on North Potter Street in the late 1800s. It is identified on old Sanborn maps as an agricultural implements warehouse from 1887-1922.

Centre Hall (PRR) - The PRR built this wood station, telegraph call sign RH, located along Pennsylvania Avenue (Pa. Route 144), in 1884 on its Lewisburg & Tyrone Branch. Passenger service was discontinued September 24, 1949. Tracks were pulled up soon after Hurricane Agnes caused washouts along the line in June 1972. Today it houses the Whistle Stop Restaurant, which has local railroad memorabilia on display. Adjacent rolling stock, for future use by the restaurant, includes an Erie coach and a New York Central caboose. --Note by Michael Bezilla

Lemont (Replica) - This replica station is on the site of the old Lemont PRR station which was in ruins at the time this was built. In 1991 the site became the location of several retail shops, including Forster's Train Shop, but almost nothing of the original building remains. The Bellefonte Historical Railroad ran Rail Diesel Car excursions from Bellefonte to Lemont from 1992 to 1996.

State College (Bellefonte Central) - The Bellefonte Central built the brick State College station on North Atherton Street in 1930 to replace a wooden structure that sat at approximately 101 West College Avenue (now the site of Hammond and Sackett buildings on the Penn State campus). A mixed train from Bellefonte served the station until March 1946. However, occasional passenger specials were operated, including one for President Dwight Eisenhower in 1953. Freight service ended in July 1974 when the BFC abandoned its track to State College. By that time, however, the station had already been leased by local government as a bus terminal, a function that continues today.  Station saw heavy traffic during WWI and WWII. There were storage tracks for coal cars which were shunted across the street to the Penn State Power plant where an in-track scale would weigh-in and -out for the delivery. Tracks removed after 1972 Agnes Hurricane (and floods) which damaged some bridges that served the location. Final track ties (and bumper/end-ramp loading platform) removed in late 1980s during parking lot resurfacing. Right-of-way still exists and is paved (or chip) for a bike path, including one deck bridge within 1/2 mile. --Notes by Michael Bezilla & John Balogh