CAMERON  COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Current
Use
Date
Built
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
EmporiuM Junction
East Second Street at Emporium Junction (Near Route 120)
(GPS: 41.508057, -78.223353)
F MoFW ???? In Use Wood  
Emporium South side of East Third Street between Walnut Street and Spruce Street
(GPS: 41.510786, -78.231939)
F Business ???? Gone Wood  
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Beechwood  
Cameron  
Canoe Run  
DriftwooD Junction This station was built in 1882.
Driftwood  
Driftwood  
Elk River
(Elk Fork)
EMPORIUM
& RICH
VALLEY RR
 
Emporium
(Emporium Jct.)
The original main PRR passenger station here was at Emporium Junction on the south side of Allegheny Avenue at GPS; 41.508387, -78.224190. This was a long wood frame building that was identified on maps as a station and hotel.
Emporium
(Emporium Jct.)
The second generation station here was a red brick structure that was eventually demolished in the early 1970's after passenger service ceased. It was on the SE side of where the extant freight station now sits. This passenger station was at approximately GPS: 41.507799, -78.223118. This station was built sometime between 1909-1915. Up until the late 1950's there was also a large wooden roundhouse, coal tipple and water tower at Emporium Junction to serve the steam engines -- all now demolished although the foundations remain. Emporium Junction was the dividing point on the PRR's main line up the Susquehanna River from Harrisburg. The northeast branch left Emporium Junction for Erie. The northwest branch left Emporium Junction for Buffalo.

The railroads considered "Emporium Junction" and "Emporium" as two separate station stops even thought they were physically all within the Borough of Emporium. "Emporium Junction" on the east side of town had a large passenger station (demolished early 1970s) and a small freight station (still standing). These were originally PRR properties.  "Emporium" had the large East Third Street freight station described above and an "uptown" passenger station (see listing below) on South Broad Street in central Emporium about a half-mile west of this second freight station. These were originally P&E properties later absorbed into the PRR. --Jack Cox
Emporium
(Uptown)
There was a smaller station on what was 3rd Street between Wood Street and Broad Street on the north side of the tracks at GPS: 41.510788, -78.238185, which was a second "uptown" passenger station in Emporium center approximately 1.5 miles due west of the Emporium Junction. This was on the northeasterly P&E Erie branch. This station was demolished in the 1940s.
Emporium This original frieght station here was on the south side of the tracks near where Spruce Street used to connect to Second Street (GPS: 41.510291, -78.232029). This station is shown on the 1892 Sanborn map. On the 1897 map a freight station is shown across the tracks at the location of the existing station. The old and new freight stations appear on the maps to be the same size, so the original station on the south side of the tracks may have been moved to the north side, but that's just a possiblity.
Emporium EMPORIUM
& RICH
VALLEY RR
There was a freight station attached to a general store on the SE side of 4th Street next to the river at GPS: 41.510677, -78.246792. This station is shown on the 1897-1915 maps, although on the 1915 map the building is only labeled a general store and no longer is marked as a freight house.
First Fork  
Grove  
Hicks Run  
Howard  
Huntley  
Lawn View EMPORIUM
& RICH
VALLEY RR
 
Lewis Run EMPORIUM
& RICH
VALLEY RR
 
Lick Island  
Lockwood EMPORIUM
& RICH
VALLEY RR
 
Lushbaugh  
Miller  
Mix Run  
Rich Valley EMPORIUM
& RICH
VALLEY RR
 
Sinnemahoning Station was built in 1882 and sat on Railroad Street. It was torn down circa 1955.
Sinnemahoning  
Sizerville  
Sterling Run  
Wyside  
1895 CAMERON COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

Emporium (P&E Freight) - This large single story structure, which now houses South Park Lumber, with substantial roofed open platforms was originally built by the P&E in the 1880�s. It is located on the north side of what was the P&E�s main rail yard in central Emporium on its main line from Emporium Junction to Erie. Until the late 1930�s/early 1940�s, it was the largest P&E/PRR freight station serving Cameron County and housed the local REA operations. After WWII, the PRR consolidated its local freight operations into its separate freight station at Emporium Junction approximately one-half mile east of this building. This building then reverted to private ownership and has housed several successive building supply businesses to the current time. Boxcars with lumber and building materials continued to be unloaded for the tenant businesses at this site well into the 1970�s. The old P&E/PRR tracks between Emporium Junction and Saint Marys which served this station were removed in 2005 by then owner Allegheny and Eastern RR (Hammermill Paper Co.). The 20 miles of rail bed between Emporium Junction and Saint Marys are in the process of being converted into a recreational biking/hiking trail by state and local tourist promotion agencies. --Jack Cox