BUCKS  COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Current
Use
Date
Built
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
Bristol Corner of Washington Street and Prospect Avenue
(GPS: 40.104631, -74.854920)
P Railroad 1911 In Use Stone
Buckingham Valley Upper Mountain Road SW of PA413 (Durham Road)
(GPS: 40.309952, -75.050072)
P Railroad 1975 In Use Wood
Chalfont Sunset Avenue near PA152
(GPS: 40.287800, -75.210166)
P Railroad ???? In Use Wood/
Stucco
 
Churchville West side of Bustleton Pike at Elm Avenue
(GPS: 40.184903, -75.013709)
P House 1892 Aband. Wood
Doylestown South Clinton Street and Ashland Street
(GPS: 40.306276, -75.130838)
P Railroad 1871 In Use Stone
Doylestown South Clinton Street and Ashland Street
(GPS: 40.305817, -75.131433)
F Railroad ???? In Use Brick  
Fairless Junction SE corner of South Lincoln Avenue and East Centre Avenue in Newtown (GPS: 40.227420, -74.931519) P Vacant ???? None Wood
Lahaska Street Road between Upper Mountain Road and Lower Mountain Road
(GPS: 40.337363, -75.014379)
C Railroad 1989? In Use Wood
Lahaska 5822 Lower Mountain Road
(GPS: 40.334080, -75.012579)
P Residence 1891 None Wood
Neshaminy Falls West side of East Bristol Road on the north side of the tracks
(GPS: 40.146928, -74.962212)
C Railroad 1889 In Use Wood  
New Hope Stockton Avenue north of West Bridge Street
(GPS: 40.364976, -74.953419)
P Railroad 1891 In Use Wood
New Hope Stockton Avenue north of West Bridge Street
(GPS: 40.365260, -74.953479)
F Railroad 1891 In Use Brick  
Perkasie 50 South 7th Street
(GPS: 40.374452,-75.296836)
P Business 1891 In Use Brick/
Stone
Perkasie West Market Street at North 8th Street
(GPS: 40.375337,-75.296388)
F Business 1891 In Use Wood  
Quakertown Route 313 (Broad Street) and Front Street
(GPS; 40.440883, -75.334620)
P Vacant 1902 In Use Stone
Quakertown Front Street south of Route 313 (Broad Street)
(GPS: 40.440243, -75.334060)
F Storage 1902 In Use Stone  
Rushland 1068 Swamp Road at Old Sackettsford Road
(GPS: 40.257907, -75.030190)
C Vacant 1890 In Use Wood  
Rushland Old Sackettsford Road near Swamp Road
(GPS: 40.257565, -75.030397)
F Vacant ???? In Use Wood
Sellersville Lawn Avenue north of Maple Avenue
(GPS: 40.359009,-75.312347)
P Civic 1902 In Use Brick  
Southampton
(Southamptonville)
East side of 2nd Street Pike on the north side of the tracks
(GPS:40.172083, -75.043793)
P Vacant 1892 Aband. Wood
Warminster Park Avenue SW of Maple Street
(GPS: 40.195084, -75.088936)
P Railroad 1970s In Use Brick  
Woodbourne North side of Woodbourne Road between the PRR overpass and the RDG grade crossing.
(GPS: 40.193385, -74.891801)
P Business 1882 None Wood  
Wycombe
(Lingockren)
SR 2115 (Mill Creek Road at SR 2097)
(GPS: 40.282233, -75.019523)
C Civic 1891 In Use Wood
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Andalusia  
Bonair
(Warminster)
Warminster had two stations: Johnsville and Bonair. Johnsville was on the north side of West Street Road on the east side of the tracks (GPS: 40.198749,-75.085362). Bonair was on the north side of East County Line Road on the west side of the tracks (GPS: 40.18666,-75.096864).
Borie Station This station is shown on the 1891 county atlas. It was near where Tennis Avenue crosses the tracks in Andalusia. Cornwells, Andalusia and Borie stations were all within a mile and a half of each other. Borie was a little over a mile SW of Andalusia.
Bridgetown This station was on Newtown-Langhorne Road near Penns Avenue (GPS: 40.184742,-74.921479). This station was between Bridgetown and Langhorne and the 1891 atlas does not give the station a name.
Bristol This was the original stone-construction Bristol passenger station which sat at Pond and Market Streets (GPS: 40.097232, -74.858561). The station was on the south side of the tracks, with a shelter on the north side. It was in service until the new station was built in 1911.
Bristol The original brick freight house was on Pond Street near the NW end of Mulberry Street on the NW side of the tracks (GPS: 40.097425, -74.857716). It is shown on the 1886 map. It was eventually replaced by the station listed below.
Bristol There was a freight house at the NW end of Mulberry Street (what is now Grundy Tower Drive) on the NW side of the tracks (GPS: 40.097923, -74.857465). This was a one-story, wood-frame freight house with a two-story head end for offices.
Buckingham Valley Demolished in 1953.
Bycot
(Holicong)
Probably sat on Bycot Road south of Holicong
Chalfont Perhaps this station predated the current station? The Chalfont NPRR station was in the same location as the station that still exists.
Chestnut Grove Station This station was near the southern-most point of what is today Aspen Way SW of Doylestown (GPS: 40.300611,-75.138561). It is shown on the 1891 county atlas.
Cold Spring Station  
Cornwells  
Croydon  
County Line This passenger shelter was built in 1892.
Derstines  
Dublin  
Eddington This station burned on Sept. 27, 1956 according to the Bristol Daily Courier (9/28/1956). Arson was suspected.
Falsington  
Farm School Station This was the station for Delaware Valley College.
Feasterville Station This early station is shown on the 1891 county atlas.
George School Built 1905, closed in 1960. Only platform remained as of 1999.
Glenlake Station This station was on South Flowers Mills Road about one mile NE of Langhorne Station. It is shown on the 1891 county atlas.
Grenoble Built 1891, closed in 1954.
Holland This shelter was constructed in 1897 and demolished in the early 1950s.
Huffnagle
(Rosenthal)
This was a shelter-type station.
IVYLAND
(Hartsville Station)
This station is shown on 1876 and 1891 county atlases. It was right on the border of Warminster and Northampton Townships. This was the terminus of the NE Pennsylvania RR until 1891 when the line was extended to New Hope. Later the station here became known as Ivyland.
Ivyland The Ivyland station was moved to this location from an unknown origin on the NEPRR in 1890. It was 425 feet North of the intersection of Greely and Chase Avenues (GPS: 40.211024, -75.073499). It was closed in 1954 and torn down not too long after that.
Janney This station was between Neshaminy Falls and Parkland at MP 21.8.
Johnsville
(Warminster)
Warminster had two stations: Johnsville and Bonair. Johnsville was on the north side of West Street Road on the east side of the tracks (GPS: 40.198749,-75.085362). Bonair was on the north side of East County Line Road on the west side of the tracks (GPS: 40.18666,-75.096864). There were two stations at Johnsville. The first was built in 1891 and burned after only one year of service with the second built in 1892.
Kirk Station This was the name of the first station at Rushland (Rush Valley). It was in approximately the same location as the existing station at the time (1891) on the property of John Kirk.
Langhorne This station, built in 1881 and designed by Frank Furness, was located at Bellvue Ave (PA413) at Comly. It was torn down by SEPTA in April, 2010 to make way for a new station.
Lizette This station was on the NE side of Stony Hill Road in Lower Makefield Township.
Montessori School Station This station was between Buckingham and Wycombe off Creek Road.
Morrisville The first station here was on Green Street just NE of Bank Street.
Morrisville Built around 1891 to replace the earlier station (on the 1891 map both stations are shown with this station labeld "new station"). This station was on the SE corner of Green and Washington Streets.
New Britain This station was on the NE side of South Tamenend Avenue on the south side of the tracks where the current SEPTA shelter is today.
Newtown In 1891, the Newtown RR station was on Chancellor Street north of State Street (GPS: 40.222206,-74.934204) at the site of the current Clubhouse Bar & Grill (in 2012).
Newtown This station was on the NE corner of Lincoln and Penn Streets (GPS: 40.226680, -74.931300).
Newtown There was a freight station just to the NE of the passenger station on a spur that ran up into the next block. This freight station was at GPS: 40.227061, -74.930905.
Parkland This station, shown on the 1891 county atlas, was one mile SW of Langhorne station.
Perkasie There was an older station here prior to the 1891 station which is still standing. It was in approximately the same location (GPS: 40.374452,-75.296836).
Quakertown Before the stone passenger and freight stations were constructed in 1902, there were smaller wood-frame passenger and freight stations at the exact same locations. These can be seen on the 1897 Sanborn map.
Reeder This was a shelter-type station.
Rockhill  
Roelofs This station was between Woodbourne and Yardley at MP 28.8.
Schenks Station  
Sellersville The location of the original station was across the tracks from the location of the existing station (GPS: 40.359184,-75.312105).
Sellersville There was a freight station to the north of the passenger station on the east side of the tracks (GPS: 40.359578, -75.312192). This station can be seen on the 1908 and 1913 Sanborn maps. It may have been the old passenger station repurposed as a freight station.
Sellersville On the 1921 Sanborn map there is a new freight station just to the north of the original freight station. It was at GPS: 40.360146, -75.312234.
ShellYs Station  
St. Leonards This station was on Spring Avenue near St. Leonards Road.
Traymore This station was between Ivyland and Grenoble.
Trevose Station The old Trevose station, built in 1889 (although the book "Lower Bucks County says 1893), was torn down. There is currently a small shelter at the stop to keep the passengers out of the elements and is still in service by SEPTA on its West Trenton line.
Tullytown This station was near where Falsington Avenue crosses over the tracks on the NW side of the tracks (GPS: 40.14132,-74.816133).
Warwick  
Wheat Sheaf
(Tyburn)
 
Windmere  
Woodbourne
(Oxford Valley)
 
Yardley This station was on the SW side of South Main Street on the NW side of the tracks.
1895 BUCKS COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

Bristol (PRR) - Bristol Historic Preservation Inc. renovated the station and there is a bagel shop inside.

Buckingham Valley (NH&I) - The station at Buckingham is not an original Reading station. It was relocated from the former Valley Forge Scenic Railroad to serve the NH&I. The original RDG station was demolished in 1953.

Churchville (RDG) - Northampton Historical Society received a $5,000 state grant to fix up the station.  The building is a tan, two-story wooden building with brown trim, fish-scale siding, and gingerbread detail. It served as the village post office for about six years in the early '70s. SEPTA owns the station and rents it as a private residence.

Doylestown (NEPRR) - Used as office by the RR. Here is an old photo of Doylestown. This is the current station minus the cupola centered over the ticket office. This is probably the last remaining original North East Pennsylvania RR station as the line was absorbed into the Reading in 1879. All the other stations on this line were built after the NEPRR become part of the RDG.

Fairless Junction (RDG) - Moved to Newtown from Fairless Junction.

Lahaska (NH&I) - The station that currently exists at the original Lahaska site is much more recent and more resembles a fancy garden shed than the original station that had the witch's hat turret common to both the New Hope and Wycombe stations. The original 1891 station now rests about 4/10 mile south of its original location. There is now green siding and the "turret" had been replaced with a square room. It is the same kind of structure as the Wycombe and New Hope stations.

Lahaska (RDG) - The station that currently exists at the original Lahaska site is much more recent and more resembles a fancy garden shed than the original station that had the witch's hat turret common to both the New Hope and Wycombe stations. The original 1891 station now rests about 4/10 mile south of its original location. There is now green siding and the "turret" had been replaced with a square room. It is the same kind of structure as the Wycombe and New Hope stations.

New Hope (RDG) - The passenger station was moved at some point about 75 yards to the north. It used to sit closer to Bridge Street before Stockton Avenue was built. It can be seen at this location (GPS: 40.364361, -74.953281) on the 1909 Sanborn map.

Quakertown (RDG) - On National Register of Historic Places. Although the Quakertown station was designed in 1889, it was not actually built for another 13 years, making the architectural style older than the building itself. A crane (also on NRofHP) located on the South end of the property is believed to be one of two remaining built by Phoenix Steel in Phoenixville, PA.

Rushland (RDG) - This is a converted boxcar that was used as a freight station.

Southampton (P&R) - Here is an old photo.

Wycombe (RDG) - The NH&I sold this depot to the County of Bucks around 2002-2003. Restoration was completed in summer 2009. On the 1891 county atlas this station is called "Lingockren."