BLAIR  COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Current
Use
Date
Built
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
Altoona 1231 11th Avenue
(GPS: 40.514762,-78.401613)
P Railroad 1990s In Use Cement  
Ganister
(Grannas)
Lower Piney Creek Road
(GPS: 40.473691, -78.226729)
C Civic ???? Gone Wood  
Roaring Spring 500 Main Street
(GPS: 40.333516, -78.402976)
P Civic 1906 In Use Brick
Tyrone Pennsylvania Avenue P Railroad 2000 In Use Wood
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Alligrippas Station A station is shown here on the 1873 county atlas. This station was in Allegany Township between Gallitzin and Horshoe Curve.
Altoona A construction trailer served the RR here throughout the 1980s.
Altoona The station was at the corner of 10th Avenue and 13th Street (GPS: 40.514594, -78.401523) next to the Logan House Hotel. The passenger shed stretched from the station across the entire front of the hotel. The PRR had offices in the hotel bulding as well as offices on the next block to the north. The depot was first located in the hotel which opened in 1854. The station was built next to the hotel in 1887.
Altoona There was a brick freight station on the NW side of the tracks between 10th and 11th Streets (GPS: 40.516042, -78.398548). This station is shown on the 1888 and 1894 maps. On the 1909 map this station has either been replaced, remodeled, or the freight complex has been expanded at this location with the addition of an inbound (made of wood) and outbound (possibly the original brick freight station) freight house. The photo shows a view of the freight complex looking to the SW from the 9th Avenue footbridge. The original brick freight house (possibly) is on the left in the photo.
Altoona A new freight transfer station opened here in 1898.
Altoona
(29th Street)
The 1931 PRR timetable shows a station at 29th Street.
Bald Eagle Station
(Olivia)
 
Bellwood
(Bells Mills)
The original PRR passenger station was located just to the SW of the end of Boyles Street on the SE side of the tracks at GPS: 40.599034, -78.334813. This station was gone by 1904.
Bellwood
(Bells Mills)
The original Bell's Gap station was located under where the current pedestrian bridge crosses the tracks from Station Street on the west side of the main line (GPS: 40.599051,-78.335282). It was torn down sometime around the early 1900s as the new PRR/Bell's Gap station was built at this location (see listing below).
Bellwood
AND
The station was located under where the current pedestrian bridge crosses the tracks from Station Street on the west side of the main line (GPS: 40.599051,-78.335282). It was built sometime between 1899-1904.
Bellwood There was a freight station on the NW side of the tracks between PA865 and Cambria Street (GPS: 40.601845, -78.332789).
Bennington Furnace A station is shown here on the 1873 county atlas. This station was in Allegany Township, just east of Gallitzin.
Beryl This station appears in the 1947 book by Harry A. McGraw "Blair County Place Names." It was somewhere in Allegheny Township.
Birmingham
Station
The town of Birmingham is in Huntingdon County, but the station was in Blair County.
BlairFour This station was between Goodman and Mt. Etna in Catherine Township.
Blair Furnace A new station was built here in 1887.
Bossler  
Brooks Mills Originally a station on the Morrison's Cove RR.
Calcite  
Canan Station This station appears in the 1947 book by Harry A. McGraw "Blair County Place Names." It was in Allegheny Township.
Canoe Creek  
Carlim  
Claysburg  
Cold Spring  
Collier  
Cove Dale Was on the PRR Clover Creek Branch.
Cove Forge  
Curryville  
Diehl This station appears in the 1947 book by Harry A. McGraw "Blair County Place Names." It was somewhere in North Woodbury Township.
Dix  
Duncansville The station was just to the northeast of the Portage Iron Company. I believe it was at the end of what is now 13th Street at approximately GPS: 40.422474, -78.434148. The street names have changed. It was at the end of what used to be called Balm Alley which was east of Blair Street. The station was built in 1883 and can be seen on the 1901, 1906 and 1911 Sanborn maps for Hollidaysburg. Does anyone know for sure its exact location?
East Freedom  
East Tyrone This station was at the corner of Lincoln and 3rd Streets (I think this is now West 22nd Street). A new station was built here in 1892.
Eldorado
(Canan Station)
 
Elizabeth Furnace
(Sabbath Rest)
This early station is shown on the 1873 county atlas. It was in the SE corner of Antis Township between Altoona and Bellwood. It is also listed as a station on the 1900 PRR List of Stations & Sidings.
Erb  
Flowing Spring  
Fostoria  
Franklin Forge The first station here was opened in 1873 when the Willimasburg Branch opened.
Frankstown The first station here was opened in 1873 when the Willimasburg Branch opened.
Gardner  
Goodman This station appears in the 1947 book by Harry A. McGraw "Blair County Place Names." It was somewhere in Catharine Township.
Grazierville  
Gwin Station No idea where this was, but it appears in the 1947 book by Harry A. McGraw "Blair County Place Names" as a "station on the old Wopsy Railroad."
Henrietta Originally a station on the Morrison's Cove RR. This was the end of the PRR Morrison's Cove Branch.
Hollidaysburg The passenger station was on Broad Street just west of Newry Street on the north side of the tracks (GPS: 40.427651,-78.398395). A station at this location was built in 1871 and is shown on the 1873 map.
Hollidaysburg There was a freight station on South Juniata Street near the intersection with Blair Street (GPS: 40.427006, -78.394211).
Homer No idea where this was, but it appears in the 1947 book by Harry A. McGraw "Blair County Place Names" as a "station on the old Wopsy Railroad."
Hoover  
Horrell Former location of a large powder works.
Ironville  
Juniata This Altoona & Wopsononock station was on Second Street. For more infomation about this RR visit: A History of the Wopsononock Railroad & Resort. The railroad opened in 1896 and was converted to standard guage in 1916.
Kittaning Point This station was on the east side of Horseshoe Curve. A frame station was built here in 1864. This stone station was built in 1892. The tower nearby was built the same year.
Kittaning Point Freight station.
Kladder This town was between Reservoir Station and Brook Mills. Originally a station on the Morrison's Cove RR. There was a monastery here in the old days.
Lamers This was an early station that opened in 1873 when the Willimasburg Branch opened.
Lind's Crossing This station appears in the 1947 book by Harry A. McGraw "Blair County Place Names." It was somewhere in Frankstown Township.
Lloydsville  
Loop Station Originally a station on the Morrison's Cove RR located between Williamsburg Junction and Resevoir Station.
Martinsburg According to the 1873 map, the original Morrison's Cove RR station here was on the SW side of Allegheny Street on the SE side of the tracks near where Ed's Riverside Plaza is today (GPS: 40.311678, -78.326982). The 1905 map shows the PRR station at this same location, so it may have been the same building. It was later used as a freight station as shown in the photos from 1946. Here is an older photo of the station showing it in use for passenger traffic.
Matthews Summit This station appears in the 1947 book by Harry A. McGraw "Blair County Place Names." It was somewhere in North Woodbury Township.
Mt. Etna  
McGarvey This station appears in the 1947 book by Harry A. McGraw "Blair County Place Names." It was somewhere in Logan Township "west of Altoona."
McKee  
Merrivale No idea where this was, but it appears in the 1947 book by Harry A. McGraw "Blair County Place Names" as a "station on the old Wopsy Railroad."
Morell  
Moyston This station appears in the 1947 book by Harry A. McGraw "Blair County Place Names." It was somewhere in Woodbury Township "on the Springfield Branch."
Mt. Etna  
Mule ShoE A station is shown here on the 1915 county map. It was on the south side of Old Route 22 on the west side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 40.434891, -78.520375.
Nealmont  
New Portage Junction  
Newry Newry
Branch
Railroad
This railroad operated both passenger and freight service. It connected with the PRR at Duncansville. It went into operation in 1870 and was abandoned around 1900. The passenger and express freight stations were on the north side of Allegheny Street between Conrad Street and Old US 220 (GPS: 40.393817,-78.436833). The line ended on the south side of Allegheny Street. There are houses here now on both sides of where the old right of way was on the north side of the street. Are either of these houses the old RR buildings?
Ore Hill
(Bloomfield Mines)
A station is shown here on the 1873 map.
Oremenia
(Mines)
This was the end of the PRR Springfield Branch.
Page Station This station was between Henrietta and Curry in Woodbury Township.
Peck  
Plack No idea where this was, but it appears in the 1947 book by Harry A. McGraw "Blair County Place Names" as a "station on the old Wopsy Railroad."
Plane  
Point View There was an old summer resort here.
Pomeroy This was an old station on the New Portage Railroad near Mule Shoe.
Reese Two railroad stations were on the property of Abram Reese in Frankstown Township. Word has it that when the RR wanted to go through Reese's property he agreed to it, but the railroad had to put a station at the beginning of his property and at the end. One station was named "Reese Station" and the other "Upper Reese Station." It took the train approximately two minutes to travel from one station to the other.
Reese
(Upper Reese)
 
Resevoir Station Originally a station on the Morrison's Cove RR.
Riddles Station Originally a station on the Morrison's Cove RR.
Roaring Spring The original Morrison's Cove RR station here was in about the same location as the existing PRR station, but just a bit to the south (GPS: 40.333307, -78.402871). This station is shown on the 1873 county atlas. A wooden PRR station is shown at this same location on the late 1800s maps as well.
Rodman This station was just north of Roaring Spring along what is now PA-164/36. A station is shown here on the 1873 map.
Roots  
Royer
(Springfield)
Also known as Springfield Furnace.
Sandy Gap

A station is shown here on the 1915 county map. By that time the railroad was called the Altoona Northern.
Sarah Furnace In the SE corner of Greenfield Twp. Not to be confused with the Sarah Furnace in Clarion County.
Shaw Run
(Jacks Station)
Jacks Station was renamed Shaw Run Station in 1881.
South Altoona
(Burket)
Formerly known as Burket Station.
Spring Meadow  
Springfield Junction The first station here was opened in 1873 when the Willimasburg Branch opened.
Stanfield This station appears in the 1947 book by Harry A. McGraw "Blair County Place Names." It was somewhere in Blair Township.
Sun Brook  
Tipton This station was on Clearfield Avenue on the north side of the tracks in 1873. The Tipton RR branched off here to the NW 3.5 miles to the former site of the Tipton Coal Mines.
Tyrone The first wood-frame station here burned in 1880 and the station below was built later that year.
Tyrone This brick station was built in 1880. This photo probably shows the wreck that occurred on July 30, 1913. Engineer George K Funk was killed and 163 passengers were injured when Chicago Mail Train No. 13 collided with the rear end of Pittsburgh Express Train No. 15 at 2:38 PM. The building in the foreground was the freight station whereas the passenger station was the taller building in the background. These stations were at the south end of Main Street (now Pennsylvania Avenue) (GPS: 40.668235, -78.239758). The passenger station was torn down in 1968.
Tyrone There was a freight station on Burley Avenue south of West 15th Street (GPS: 40.677240, -78.238124).
Tyrone Forge  
Vail
(Intersection STA.)
Known early on as Intersection Station, later called Vail. This station was at the junction of the Bald Eagle Valley RR and the Tyrone & Clearfield RR. A new station was built here in 1890.
Vanscoyoc  
Wertz  
Whitebridge This station appears in the 1947 book by Harry A. McGraw "Blair County Place Names." It was somewhere in Frankstown Township.
Williamsburg This combination station was on the east side of High Street on the south side of the tracks at GPS: 40.462696, -78.200300.
Wopsononock According to the Altoona Mirror from Thursday, June 18, 1891, a station was built here that year with a walkway leading to hotel grounds and the dance pavilion.
1895 BLAIR COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

Roaring Spring (PRR) - See old photo. This is the only known remaining vintage RR station in Blair County. Now owned and operated by the Roaring Spring Historical Society. Records and memorabilia available by arrangement. PRR caboose on site. Call (814) 224-4814 for more info.

Tyrone (Amtrak) - Near site of old station.