ADAMS  COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Current
Use
Date
Built
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
Biglerville West side of the tracks north of East York Street (PA234)
(GPS: 39.931232, -77.243389)
C Vacant 1912 In Use Wood  
East Berlin Northern corner of 3rd and Locust Streets
(GPS: 39.937479,-76.981917)
C Residence ???? Gone Wood
East Berlin Southern corner of 3rd and Locust Streets
(GPS: 39.937115,-76.981802)
C Business ???? Gone Wood  
Gardners Upper Bermudian Road between Gardners Station Road and Carlisle Road (PA34)
(GPS: 40.006520, -77.207766)
C Business 1912 In Use Wood
Gettysburg 35 Carlisle Street at Railroad Street
(GPS: 39.832029, -77.230718)
P Civic 1859 In Use Brick
Gettysburg West side of Washington Street at Railroad Street
(GPS: 39.832216, -77.233563)
P Storage 1884 In Use Wood
McKnightstown
Station
498 Tilletown Road
(GPS: 39.856868, -77.325319)
P Residence ???? In Use Wood  
New Oxford North side of U.S. 30
(GPS: 39.863363, -77.059476)
P Civic ???? In Use Stone
Starners Starners Station Road
(GPS: 40.027056,-77.220594)
P Storage ??? In Use Wood  
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Abbottstown  
Bendersville
(Aspers)
 
Berlin Junction  
Bittinger Bittinger was on Hanover Street between Hanover and New Oxford at GPS: 39.837773, -77.014547.
Brush Run  
Centre Mills This station was built in 1894.
Church Station A station is shown here in 1872 when the line was the Littlestown Branch RR. This station was between Sells Station and Littletown.
Fairfield This station was on Fairfield Station Road at approximately 39.791721, -77.38533.
Gettysburg There was a freight station that stood on the east side of North Stratton Street near where the Gettysburg Fire Department now sits. The brick station was used through the 80's and torn down in 1992 to make way for the new fire station. It was located at approximately GPS: 39.831983, -77.227916
Gettysburg The original Gettysburg and Harrisburg Railway freight station was built in 1865 and was on the west side of Washington Street across from the passenger station at GPS: 39.832215, -77.233153. It had a two-story brick front with a 1.5 story frame back end.
Gettysburg The original freight station was replaced sometime between 1902-1907 at the same location as the original freight station. This station was shorter in length than the original station, but was two stories and made of brick as indicated on the Sanborn map of 1907.
Glad Hill  
Goldenville  
Granite Hill There was a Gettysburg RR station here in 1872 on Granite Station Road at approximately GPS: 39.855443, -77.159207.
Guernsey  
Guldens Gulden's station was on the old alignment between New Oxford and Gettysburg. It was on the York & Gettysburg Turnpike (now U.S. 30) east of Low Dutch Road. Back then the tracks crossed the turnpike and also Low Dutch Road. The tracks, which once curved south of the turnpike/highway for a short way have been relocated north of pike/hwy because crossing the roadway at shallow angle caused too many accidents. The station was on the SE corner of the York-Gettysburg Turnpike (now US-30) and Low Dutch Road. The old grade can still be seen there. There is still an old brick warehouse at the location near where the station was. The station was just south of the warehouse in the vicinity of GPS: 39.858002, -77.139037.
Idaville Station  
Iron Spring  
Jacks Mountain  
Kingsdale
(Kingstown)
Some report that this station still stands as a residence on Georgetown Road. Others say it is not. Can anyone confirm? The station is listed on early timetables, but was likely out of service by the 1930s.
Lefevre  
Littlestown Was located on the NE side of South Queen Street on the NW side of the tracks at GPS: 39.743379, -77.086217. It was right behind the old National (Patterson) Hotel.
Littlestown The frieght station was on the NE side of South Queen Street on SE side of the tracks at GPS: 39.743155, -77.086195. It was used by the Crouse Moving Company, but was torn down in early 2007 to make way for a new building.
Maria Furnace  
Marshalls  
McKnightstown
Station
 
McSherrystown
Station
(McSherry)
This station was south of town.
New Oxford There was a freight station just to the NW of the passenger station at GPS: 39.863605, -77.059896.
Orrtanna
Peach Glen This station was in the vicinity of Peach Glen-Idaville Road around GPS: 40.022254, -77.225452.
Round Top Station The RR owned a 12-acre park here called Little Round Top Park and thus had a short branch to this location from Gettysburg.
Sells Station A station is shown here in 1872 when the line was the Littlestown Branch RR.
Seven Stars  
Sprenkles  
Stremmels  
Table Rock  
Virginia Mills  
1895 ADAMS COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

East Berlin (WM) - In 1903 the Berlin Branch RR, a subsidiary of the Western Maryland, became independent and known as the East Berlin Railway.

Gettysburg (Hanover Junction RR) - See this site for more info.

Gettysburg (Reading) - Some claimed that this was built by the BR&P as their Rockton depot in Clearfield County and moved in the 1980s to Gettysburg by the Gettysburg Railroad's previous owner. This is NOT the station that was moved to Gettysburg. This station is the original Gettysburg and Harrisburg Railway station according to old postcards and the current management of the Gettysburg RR. The station that was moved from Rockton was moved again to Kane, PA (see McKean County or Clearfield County pages for listing).