TRUMBULL COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Current
Use
Date
Built
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
Brookfield Station 5854 Warren-Sharon Road P ???? ???? In Use Wood  
Champion
(State Road)
Intersection of State Road (SR-305) and County Highway 205, 5 miles NW of Warren.
(GPS: 41.300633,-80.897704)
C Private ???? None Wood
Farmdale
(Kinsman Sta.)
7867 Wayland Avenue
(GPS: 41.434615,-80.609122)
C Storage ???? None Wood  
Kinsman ???? C ???? ???? None Wood
Newton Falls East Broad & River Streets
(GPS: 41.187132,-80.973068)
C Business ???? Gone Wood  
Warren East Market Street at tracks
(GPS: 41.236527,-80.807517)
P ???? ???? In Use Wood
West Farmington 251 Fourth Street
(GPS: 41.392848,-80.975389)
P Police Sta. ???? Gone Wood
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Braceville CLEVELAND
AND
MAHONING
The original Cleveland & Mahoning Valley Railroad (pre-A&GW, Erie) station here was demolished by a tornado on July 21, 1860 (Cleveland Morning Leader, July 23, 1860)
Braceville This station is shown on the 1874 county map.
Bristolville
(Spokane)
Originally known as Bristol Center Station and later as Spokane. The station was on the north side of SR-88 on the east side of the tracks (GPS: 41.391004,-80.848233).
Brookfield In addition to the normal station for Brookfield on the LS&MS Mahoning Coal Line, there was a three-sided passenger shelter on the low-grade line as well.
Burghill This station was on the west side of SR-7, on the north side of the tracks (GPS: 41.358197,-80.569659).
Champion Station This location was also known as Sunside.
Coalburg This station was located at the east end of Old Station Road (GPS: 41.190939,-80.585618).
Cortland
(Baconsburg)
A small frame depot served Cortland in the late 1860s before the station below was built.
Cortland This larger, second generation station, built in 1872, was on Erie St. (formerly Front Street) just north of Lattin and South of Market Street. The station was on the east side of the tracks (GPS: 41.331185,-80.730489).
Deforest The 1899 county map shows a P&W (B&O) station on the SW side of the tracks south of Deforest-Townline Road at GPS: 41.202754,-80.788817.
Fowler Built 1873. Location also formerly known as Nutwood P.O.
Girard Not sure which station this was. It does not appear to be the Erie station, but could have been a predacessor.
Girard  
Girard The combination freight/passenger station was on the north side of Second Street.
Hubbard This combination station was on the west side of North Main Street next to the Hubbard Coal & Supply Company at GPS: 41.166456, -80.569166.
Hubbard This combination station was on the East side of North Main Street on the south side of the tracks (GPS: 41.165587,-80.568656).
Johnsons  
Kinsman Fair Grounds The 1899 county map shows a station (perhaps a waiting shelter, but the map shows a building) labeled "RR Entrance" to the west of the old Kinsman Fairgrounds (GPS: 41.462789,-80.605828).
Leavittsburg This station was on the east side of South Leavitt Road (SR-142) south of Market Street (GPS: 41.23785,-80.880326). The freight station was on the west side of Leavitt Road.
Leavittsburg The B&O station was on the east side of Leavitt Road (SR-142) on the south side of the tracks (GPS: 41.237431,-80.880363).
Lockwood
(N. Bloomfield)
Lordstown
(Soaptown)
This station was on the south side of Hallock-Young Road on the NW side of the tracks (GPS: 41.142702,-80.83892).
Mineral Ridge This N&NL (later Erie) station was on the south side of Depot Street (formerly Coal Street) just east of Edwards Street. The station was on the east side of the tracks (GPS: 41.139795,-80.773841).
Newton Falls According to the 1899 county map, the original station on the P&W (later B&O) was near the intersection of Canal and North Streets on the old B&O line (GPS: 41.192251,-80.975005).
Newton Falls    The second B&O station here was at the west end of Jay Street on the south side of the street and on the east side of the old B&O tracks which ran along the river (GPS: 41.190168,-80.977162). There was also a small freight station to the south of the passenger station. According to Sanborn maps, this old B&O station was used by the interurban line later (the CA&MV).
Newton Falls The third B&O station here was at 13 West Franklin Street (GPS: 41.191072,-80.974989). It served as a CSX tower until it was knocked off its foundation in a March 2011 derailment.
Niles This station was on East Church Street at the bend in the road to the east of State Street (directly north of the old Central School). Sometime between 1909-1915, the B&O either built a larger station here or expanded the old P&W station to connect what was once separate passenger and freight buildings that were next to each other. As of 2009 this area is vacant and may now be part of Central Park.
Niles This frame station was located on Mahoning Street (formerly Depot St.) just west of Pratt Street. The station was demolished around 1910-1915 when the Erie replaced it with a larger brick station (listed below).
Niles This brick station was located on Mahoning Street (formerly Depot St.) just west of Pratt Street. The location is now a vacant lot, but the foundation of the station is still visible. The Erie freight station was also on Mahoning Street at the intersection with Erie Street (also a vacant lot as of 2009). There was also an Erie "storehouse" on Mahoning at the intersection with Mason Street.
Niles The PY&A passenger station was located on the west side of Main Street just south of Water Street. This location is now a vacant lot used for truck parking (as of 2009). The PY&A freight station was located on the south side of Water Street half way between S. Chestnut and S. Mechanic (now called S. Arlington). That location is also now a vacant lot. Both stations were torn down sometime between 1902-1909 when the PRR built the station listed below.
Niles This station was located the east side of Main Street south of what is now called Utlak Drive. It was built to replace the old PY&A station sometime between 1902-1909. The station sat between the sets of tracks and the area is empty now. In the late 1800s the Coleman-Shield Rolling Mill sat at this location. The station was used for passengers until 1964 when the last passenger trains came off the line. The station was stripped of its bay widow and overhanging roof in the 1950 under the PRR plan to simplify its structures. The PRR freight station was located about 300 yards to the east of the passenger station and was built between 1909-1915.
North Bristol
(Oakfield)
This station was on the north side of Hyde-Oakfield Road on the west side of the tracks (GPS: 41.40909,-80.848346).
Orangeville Although the village of Orangeville is in Ohio, the station was located west across the state line in South Pymatuning Township (Mercer County, PA) on the township road that follows the state line. It was at approximately GPS: 41.337280, -80.518987. The first station here, according to the 1873 map, was on the east side of the road on the north side of the tracks.
Phalanx This station was on the south side of the tracks. The Alliance & Northern RR junctioned with the Erie just to the west of the station.
Tyrrell Hill
(Terrill HILL)
According to The Ashtabula Weekly Telegraph (8/28/1874), a station was planned to be constructed here by the Mahoning Coal Railroad by H.B. Castle in September 1874.
Warren The original two-story P&W (B&O) passenger station was on the west side of Main Street south of South Street (GPS: 41.233344,-80.820161). The original freight station was about 70 feet to the west of the passenger station.
Warren A new single-story B&O passenger station and new freight house were built on the west side of Main Street replacing the original stations (see above) around 1910-1915. The new freight station was on a siding where the original passenger station had been, and the new passenger station was a few feet to the SW of that. These stations were torn down in 1966 for the rebuild of South Street.
Warren There was a B&O passenger station on the west side of North Park Avenue at the intersection of Dana Street (GPS: 41.247096,-80.818557). Later this building handled both passengers and freight (or a new cobination station of similar size was built on the same site).
Warren There was a passenger station on the corner of Washington Street NE and Elm Road NE (GPS: 41.241727,-80.80995). This station is shown on the 1899 county atlas. Later maps show a filling station st the same location so the station may have been converted for that use after going out of service.
Warren This combination station was on the SW corner of Main and South Streets (GPS: 41.233845,-80.820183). The tracks originally ran down the middle of South Street with the depot on the south side of the tracks.
Warren This second generation passenger station was at the same site as the original combination depot (see above). When it was built, a new freight station and express office was added to its west. They were torn down in 1966 for the rebuild of South Street.
Warren This was originally a freight house, but when the original A&GW (Erie) passenger station was torn down it handled some passenger traffic in its later years. It was on the east side of South Pine Street just south of South Street (GPS: 41.233248,-80.815778).
Warren There was a combination passenger/freight station on Forest Street NW near Vernon Avenue NW (GPS: 41.246035,-80.822672). This depot is shown on the 1898 Sanborn map of Warren.
Warren The original combination passenger/freight station was on the north side of East Market Street on the west side of the tracks (GPS: 41.236527,-80.807517).
Warren This station second generation combination passenger/freight station at the same site as the original PY&A depot (see above) underwent modification in the 1950s and was stripped of it's distinctive depot characteristics and shingled. There is a replica station on this site now, but it is not a replica of the station that was here.
1898 TRUMBULL COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

Champion (B&O) - Not sure this was a station. A station does not appear on the B&O on county maps from 1874 or 1899, however a "State Road" station does appear on the map pictured above. The building is along the grade and oriented as if it may have been a station. Can anyone verify?

Kinsman (LS&MS) - I don't know where this building is located or if it was in fact a station (it does look like one), or even if it is still standing. Could this have been the old station that served the Kinsman Fair Grounds? Can anyone clear this up?

Warren (Replica) - This is a replica of an LS&MS station, even though Warren originally had a PRR station at this location.

West Farmington (B&O) - This station was originally on the north side of Main Street (SR-88) (GPS: 41.390622,-80.967943). It was moved from the tracks to its current location in 1947.