SANDUSKY COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Current
Use
Date
Built
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
Danbury
AND
Napoleon St., Fremont P Business ???? In Use Wood
Fremont
AND
North Monroe St. C Business 1873 In Use Wood
Fremont Washington & Napoleon F Railroad ???? In Use Wood
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Burgoon
AND
This early station served the first RRs through here, the Lima & Fremont RR and the Toledo, Tiffin & Eastern RR. It was demolished in 1932.
Clyde
AND
Built in 1872 (some sources say 1876), by the LS&MS, this station also served the IB&W (CCC&St.L). It sat in the southeast corner of the diamond off Railroad street and was demolished in 1960. There was a freight house on the northwest transfer track.
Clyde The W&LE passenger station (pictured in link) sat on the SE side of East Maple Street behind the Commercial Hotel along the tracks there. The passenger station went out of service in the early 1920s. The freight station was on the east side of North Main Street and may have handled some passenger traffic for a short period after the passenger station was vacated.
Erlin  
Fremont The freight station was across the tracks from the passenger station at the end of Court Street, parallel to what is now called Lynn Street (formerly known as East Railroad St.).
Fremont The first Fremont W&LE station was the Kessler House, a large frame building located on the northwest corner of North Front and State Streets. It went into service in 1882 and was replaced at the same location by the brick station listed below sometime around 1897.
Fremont First photo is of passenger depot submerged by flood. Second photo is from 1949. Torn down in the 1950s. Was also used by the Lake Shore Electric interurban line. It was located on the northwest corner of North Front and State Streets
Fremont The photo shows the freight station submerged. This building was directly behind the passenger station on North Front Street.
Gibsonburg This combination station was located on the north side of West Madison Street between the two tracks. It was built in 1872 by the Toledo, Tiffin & Eastern RR and demolished in 1989.
Havens Station This station was about five miles SE of Fremont.
Helena Built by the Toledo, Tiffin & Earstern RR.
Lindsey This station was on the SW side of the tracks at the NE end of Clinton Street (GPS: 41.419904,-83.222516). It was torn down in the early 1960s.
Millersville This station was on the south side of Greensburg Pike on the NE side of the tracks (GPS: 41.312609,-83.277252).
Vickery This station was moved to a campground in 1967. Does anyone know if it still exists?
Whitmore Whitmore was in the SE corner of Section 15, Townsend Township.
Woodville Built by the Toledo, Tiffin & Eastern RR, this station was at the NE end of Walnut Street (GPS: 41.452853,-83.361382). It was torn down in 1995 following a fire.
1898 SANDUSKY COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

Danbury (LS&MS) - Now a barber shop in Fremont. The station was known as Marblehead Junction prior to 1904. It was changed to Danbury to avoid confusion since the station was not in Marblehead. The station was the transfer between the LS&MS mainline and the L&M. The station sat for some time in a cornfield to the rear of its original location in Danbury. It was then moved to the faux Fort Firelands on 163 and Bridge Rd. in Danbury and then finally to its current location in Fremont in 1979.

Fremont (LS&MS/LE&W) - Depot Pizza & Bar. A previous, smaller depot sat on this site prior to 1873. Although built by the LS&MS, this station also served the LE&W according to the 1914 Sanborn Fire Insurance map. The LE&W had a spur that pulled up to the west side of the building.

Fremont (LE&W) - NS Crew Point. 1966 photo .