MUSKINGUM COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Current
Use
Date
Built
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
Dresden Eighth & Clay Streets C Society ???? Gone Wood
Dresden Main &
Muskingum Streets
C Storage ???? In Use Wood  
Zanesville 3rd & Market Streets
(GPS: 39.942474,-82.009072)
F Business 1917 Gone B/W
Zanesville Linden Avenue at McIntire
(GPS: 39.947804,-82.009404)
C ???? ???? In Use Brick  
Zanesville 2nd & Market Streets
(GPS: 39.942293,-82.010391)
P Society 1882 Gone Brick
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Adams Mills Passenger station?
Adams Mills Freight station?
Buckeye  
Cannelville
Chandlersville  
Claypool Mill Station  
Coal Dale  
Darlington
(Newton Sta.)
This station was near where Darlington Drive (Twp. 46) crosses the tracks.
Del Carbo This station was near the center of Section 27, Newton Township.
Dillons Falls The passenger and freight stations were to the northeast of the intersection of First and Front Streets.
Ellis Station This station was near where Ellis Dam road is today.
Frazeysburg This combination station was on the west side of State Street between 2nd and Canal Streets. It sat on the south side of the tracks.
Gilbert  
East Fultonham Was burned then demolished.
Merriam  
Nashport  
New Concord This combination station was at the south end of Depot Street at West Maple Avenue. There was an Central Ohio station at this location in 1875.
Newton Station This station was on the north side of Darlington Drive on the east side of the tracks (GPS: 39.88043,-82.035736).
Philo
(Taylorsville)
The passenger and freight station were on the east side of Front Street between 1st Street and James Street.
Putnam  
Rock Cut This station was near where Rock Cut Road crosses the old grade.
Sealover  
Sonora This station was built in 1888 (according to the B&O Annual Report of that year). There may have been an earlier Central Ohio station here before that.
South Zanesville This small station was on the north side of East Main Street between North Shawnee Avenue and US-22 (GPS: 39.903317,-82.019656). It was on the east side of the tracks. It is shown on maps from 1919 when the line was owned by the NYC, but the building may have been built by a predecessor.
South Zanesville This station was on the north side of East Main Street between North Shawnee Avenue and Pembroke Avenue (GPS: 39.903374,-82.018583). It was on the west side of the tracks. It is shown on maps from 1919 when the line was owned by the PRR, but the station may have been built prior to that by the C&MV.
Stone  
Stovertown  
Trinway
(Dresden Jct.)
Here is a panoramic photo of the station during a flood. Was the station in the background of the photo the freight station or a different railroad's station?? This location was known as Dresden Junction in the early years (it is shown as such on the 1875 map and had a station at that time).
Zanesville This station was at 2nd and Market Streets (GPS: 39.942219,-82.009673). It was torn down in spring 1999.
Zanesville The freight house was just north of the passenger station at GPS: 39.942791,-82.00963.
Zanesville The first C&MV freight house was just north of the passenger station at 2nd and Market Streets (GPS: 39.942671,-82.010359). This freight house was gone by 1889 and replaced with a larger one to the west of the passenger station
Zanesville This was the second C&MV freight house. It was built in 1886 and located east of the passenger station at GPS: 39.942347,-82.010778.
Zanesville The passenger station was on the corner of Market and North 3rd Street (GPS: 39.942149,-82.009179). On the first floor of the building was a saloon, lunchroom, ladies waiting room, gents waiting room, baggage office and freight office. The second story of the building was apartments, possibly agents' quarters. This building was probably demolished to make way for the larger freight facility in 1917.
Zanesville The original CS&H freight house was where the current Zanesville Terminal Railroad still stands. This building was probably demolished to make way for the larger ZTRR freight facility in 1917.
Zanesville The original passenger station here was to the NE of where the existing W&LE station is near Linden and McIntire Streets (GPS: 39.947973,-82.008648).
Zanesville The W&LE freight station was built on the site of the original CC&S passenger station and the structure may have included that original station (GPS: 39.947973,-82.008648).
1898 MUSKINGUM COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

Dresden (CA&C) - According to a Keystone Magazine article in 1994, this station was constructed from the members of a covered bridge. Clay Street was formerly Railroad Street and the PRR tracks used to run down the center of the street. .

Zanesville (ZTRR) - Closed in 1968 and restored in 1989. Built in 1917 by the Zanesville Terminal Railroad (affiliated with the CS&H, later NYC) on the former site of the old CS&H passenger and freight stations. On National Register of Historic Places.

Zanesville (C&MV) - PRR depot is located across the tracks from the former site of the B&O depot. It's being restored by a local developer. Tracks for the NYC freight house and PRR station have all been removed and replaced with automobile parking areas. The only remaining tracks are the B&O tracks. Station is on National Register of Historic Places.