MORROW COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Current
Use
Date
Built
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
Fulton SR 61 North of town C Private 1880s None Wood
Mt. Gilead Iberia Street & West High Street
(GPS: 40.549724, -82.831191)
P Municipal 1924 Gone Brick  
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Cardington The passenger station was on Railroad Street between 2nd and Walnut with the freight house on the opposite side of the tracks. The white building in the foreground of the first photo is the Mills Brothers and Conger Flour Mill (that was its name in 1903, in 1885 it was called the Dawson, Wherry & Co. Flour Mill).
Climax  
Edison
(Mt. Gilead Station)
There was an earlier station here before the T&OC line was built through and a joint station was built (see below). The station agent in 1871 was D.C. Mozier.
Edison  
Joint station used by both railroads. Edison was first known as Mt. Gilead Station.
Marengo  
Mt. Gilead This station was at the corner of High & Rich Streets. It was torn down in 1924 and replaced by the Mt. Gilead Shortline brick station listed above which was built just a few feet to the west (toward Iberia St.). The CCC&St.L leased the Mt. Gilead Shortline. The station is of CCC&I vintage, appearing on maps from 1885. After 1924, the CCC&St.L also had a freight house on the west side of Iberia Street. According to the Cincinnati Enquirer of Sept. 1, 1882, there was a robbery at the depot on August 31, 1882 whereby burglars pryed open the door and used explosives to blow the door off the safe. Although $1,000 had been at the depot the day before, the station agent took the money home for safe-keeping, so the burglars only took $8 from the safe for their efforts. 
Mt. Gilead This station was located on the north side of West High Street. It was built in 1882, and torn down in 1920s when it became redundant when the NYC leased both the T&OC and CCC&St.L. In 1924 all passenger service for the town shifted to the brick Mt. Gilead Shortline depot at Iberia & High Streets.
St. James This station was rumored to have been moved, but no other information exists.
1898 MORROW COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

Fulton (T&OC) - In 1997 the owner said, "it will be torn down soon." Here is an old photo. The station's original location was on East Main Street. Fulton was previously known as Lincoln Center.