MIAMI COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Current
Use
Date
Built
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
Brown Station Dayton-Brandt Road P Private 1881 Gone Wood
Covington 355 North Main Street  C Private ???? None Wood
Ludlow Falls SR-571 and Range Line Road P Business ???? None Wood
Piqua
AND
Union City, Indiana P Museum 1893 In Use Wood/
Brick
Pleasant Hill West Monument Street C Private ???? Gone Wood
Tipp City Corner of 5th and Dow Streets. F Storage ???? In Use Wood  
Troy South side of East West Street near South Crawford Street. C Railroad 1890 In Use Stone
West Milton SR-571 between North Jay Street and Hays Circle Drive on the north side of the street (GPS: 39.964834,-84.331674). P House ???? Gone Wood  
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Bloomer  
Bradford This station was built in 1869; before that an old boxcar served as the depot. The building sat between the St. Louis division and Chicago division tracks and was north of the roundhouse. The "Depot Hotel" can be seen in the photo. This hotel was also known throughout the years as "The Ogden," "Locust House," "Louie�s," and "Beardsley�s" and didn�t close until the 1960s. As of 2008 the hotel still stands on East Main Street as a private residence and faces the old empty track bed.  
Conover
Covington This station was on North High Street. There was a PCCC&St.L freight house west of Main Street on the north side of the tracks.
Eldean  
Fletcher  
Grayson Station  
Kessler  
Laura The original station was located on the east side of Main Street on north side of tracks. This is shown on the 1894 map.
Laura This station was on the east side of Main Street on south side of tracks as shown on the 1911 map. This station burned burned down Oct 5, 1952 when fire jumped across tracks from the burning Mote & Sons Elevator (Piqua Daily Call, Oct. 5, 1977 in "Happenings of Yesteryear."). The last train through Laura was on Mar 31, 1976.
Ludlow Falls  
Piqua The first station for this Railroad probably sat off East Main Street.
Piqua This was the CH&D station at D&M Crossing where the B&O and PRR crossed. This station was hastily built in October 1913 when the PRR told the CH&D they would not be using their new downtown Piqua passenger station when the elevation opened. So the CH&D rapidly built a box station north of the crossing at Garbry Road. Piqua patrons complained long and loud about the lack of a quality facility until it was destroyed in a train derailment and fire in March 1942. --Scott Trostel
Piqua After being destroyed, the station listed above was replaced by a temporary box car for a few months while a nice frame depot was built on the same site. That station stood until late 1960 when it was dismantled and replaced by a three sided shed, which was used until passenger service was suspended in 1971. That shed stood until 1979 when I dismantled it for the construction materials. --Scott Trostel
Piqua This freight station sat on the north side of Wood Street near Commercial Street.
Piqua The last station to serve this line was a nondescript waiting shelter
Piqua The first stations here were a passenger and freight station on the north side of Sycamore between Downing and Wayne. The passenger station was on the corner of Sycamore and Downing, while the freight station was in the middle of the block. They were demolished to make way for the new Union Station in 1893. These original stations may have pre-dated the PCC&St.L, but it is hard tell without a build date.
Piqua This was the third PCC&St.L station to exist. Was located on the corner of Wayne Street and Sycamore. This is the building that replaced the smaller passenger station listed above for Piqua that was re-located to Union City, Indiana in 1912 when the tracks were elevated through town. Ironically, it was located precisely where the very first PCC&St.L station had sat. Passenger service was abolished on this line around 1958 and the city ended up with possession of the building. In 1969, the city demolished it in order to increase parking lot capacity for the city offices located just north of the building. 
Piqua When the new passenger station was built in 1893, this freight station was also built on the west side of Downing Street between Sycamore and Water Streets off the main line on siding tracks that ran up to both sides of the building.
Sugar Grove This station was on the south side of Sugar Grove Road on the west side of the tracks.
Tipp City The passenger station was on the south side of Main Street, on the east side of the tracks. There was originally a smaller station here which was replaced with a larger station sometime in the late 1880s/early 1890s. The smaller station is shown on the 1885 map, whereas the larger station is shown on the 1892 map.
Troy There was a freight house with a large platform due north of the passenger station closer to West Street.
Troy Built by the Indiana, Bloomington & Western in 1882, this station was on the east side of Crawford Street, on the north side of the tracks. It was just to the SW of the CH&D station (still standing). It served CCC&St.L (later NYC) passenger operations up until about 1950, when it was closed for a number of years, until the need for maintaining a large freight house to the west became unreasonable, then the freight house was closed and the agent was moved back into the passenger station. It resumed active use as a freight station for only one train a day, but it was an originating station for unit grain trains starting in 1971, and was therefore busy. The station was taken down by the EPA in 1985 as part of a highly publicized lead contamination clean-up project in Troy. -- Note by Scott Trostel
Troy The D&M station was on the west corner of South Clay and East Main Streets. The station was taken out of service in 1890, but survived past that as it was converted into an office there for the Troy Carriage Pole Company (later the location of the Troy Acetylene Company). The building survived until the 1930s when it was razed to make way for a filling station (now gone also).
1898 MIAMI COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

Brown Station (IB&W) - The station, also known as Rex, often thought to be from New Carlisle is actually Brown Station, west of New Carlisle. It was abandoned as a station in 1914 and has been a residence since that time. The New Carlisle station was dismantled in the 1960's. --Scott Trostel

Covington (CP&I) - This was later used as a freight station for the PRR.

Ludlow Falls (IB&W) - Station is in third location. Originally at Kessler, it was moved three miles west to Ludlow Falls when that town's depot was destroyed in a wreck in the early 1950's. Depot was closed sometime before the PC merger in 1968, the line was abandoned in 1976 and torn up in 1979. The station was purchased, moved, and became part of a gift shop complex. Later it became, and continues to serve as, a lawn and garden center (lawnmower shop). The back side of the depot faces the street, "Ludlow Falls" sign still adorns station. .

Piqua (PCC&St.L & CH&D) - This station is on the Indiana side of Union City. The station was originally built in 1893 at Piqua, Ohio. Its original location was the north side of Sycamore Street between Downing and Wayne (Sycamore no longer exists between Downing and Wayne as there are parking lots there now). It was moved in 1912 to Union City, Indiana when the tracks were elevated through Piqua. It is actually a frame station with a brick veneer. -- note from Scott Trostel.

According to the 1898 Sanborn Fire Insurance map, the station served both the PCC&St.L and the CH&D. The building is labeled "Union Station" and a platform extends between the two lines. --Dan West

Pleasant Hill (CH&D) - I am told that this building was the CH&D station in Pleasant Hill. It certainly has the characteristics of a small town depot, and is a long, narrow building adjacent to the old right of way between Ludlow Falls and Covington. I believe that a Narrow Gauge line originally built this line, and it was absorbed by the CH&D. --note from Dave Burns

Troy (CH&D) - Surrounded by 10 ft. high chain link fence, hard to photograph.