HOLMES COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Current
Use
Date
Built
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
Killbuck North Main Street (CR-622)
(GPS: 40.503639,-81.981305)
C Vacant ???? Gone Wood
Millersburg
AND
West Clinton Street at the
Holmes County Rail Trail.
(GPS: 40.555307,-81.921589)
P Visitor
Center
1853 Gone Wood
Millersburg
AND
South Mad Anthony Street F Church ???? Gone Block
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Big Prairie
(CAnansville)
 
Holmesville
(Houston)
This station was at the crossing south of the county infirmary.
Holmesville  
Glenmont
(Pictoria)
 
Lakeville
(PlymPton)
 
Spellacy  
1898 HOLMES COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

Killbuck (CA&C) - This is an example of the heavy modification the PRR performed on some old CA&C depots in later years. It received a shortened roof and lost its bay window.

Millersburg Passenger (CA&C/B&O) - The depot was moved (in two pieces) from its original location & set on a new foundation at the end of W. Clinton Ave. in April 2005.  Its new location is still along the abandoned CA&C line (which is now the Holmes Co. Rail Trail). By late June of 2005 the outside restoration was completed, with the station being returned to its original appearance.  The complete restoration (both inside & out) was completed before 2005 ended.  It is now a visitor center at an access point to the rail trail. - Doug Wantz

Millersburg Freight (PRR/B&O) - Dan West reports - "Station is made of block but covered with shingling. There is a sign on the station that reads "ACC & B&O Depot" but station is on the ex-CA&C (later PRR) line and looks to be of PRR vintage. Maybe the sign was misprinted and should have read CA&C instead of ACC? Mark Bushong replies - The B&O had a branch that ran from Lodi to Millersburg. The line was pared back to Wooster sometime in the 30's. In the late 60's, that portion was wiped out by flooding (see below). CSXT now reaches Wooster by trackage rights over RJ Corman from Warwick to Massillon and over Conrail from Massillon to Wooster. There was a wooden trestle over the PRR in Wooster. The line ran parallel to the PRR down to Big Run where it headed south. It later ran parallel to the CA&C towards Millersburg. Old Sanborn Insurance maps show that the two railroads shared facilities in Millersburg.