HARDIN COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Current
Use
Date
Built
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
Ada 112 Central Street
(GPS: 40.770654,-83.822481)
P Society 1887 In Use Wood
Forest
AND
102 West Lima Street (SR-37)
(GPS: 40.802083,-83.511983)
F Library 1887 In Use Brick  
Kenton 322 West Franklin Street
(GPS: 40.647472,-83.611445)
P Business 1882 Gone Brick  
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Ada According to old maps, the old freight station sat on the southeast corner of where Johnson Street crosses the tracks. It sat directly across the tracks from the N.R. Park Grain Elevator and Warehouse. This was most likely the first passenger station, built around 1854, which was later converted to a freight station when the new station was built in 1887. (GPS: 40.770853,-83.821314)

Ada was first known as Johnstown, but renamed after confusion with the other Johnstown, Ohio in Licking County.
Alger Built in 1883, the station was moved a short distance in 1928, and demolished in the early 1970s.
Blanchard  
Dola This town was formerly called North Washington before becoming Dola in 1907. The name was changed to avoid confusion with the town of New Washington for postal purposes.
Dudley Dudley was between Hepburn and Kenton.
Dunkirk The passenger station was in the northeast quadrant of the crossing with the T&OC. The freight station was on the east side of Main Street. The first PFt.W&C train came through town in April of 1864.
Dunkirk Anyone know where the passenger station sat? I believe it was on South Railroad Street south of Washington St. The T&OC had a freight station in the southeast quadrant of the crossing with the PRR and this building had frontage on West Washington Street.
Foraker Town was originally called "Oakland."
Forest
AND
Forest's union station sat across the transfer track from the location of the existing freight station on Lima Street. The station sat on the southeast corner of the diamond with platforms along both RRs. Across the Big 4 tracks was the interlocking tower. (GPS: 40.802288,-83.512182)
Forest
AND
Maps from 1879 show a freight house at the same location as the 1887 freight house. At that time it was the only station in town.
Grants Station Founded originally as a coaling station for the RR.
Hepburn Built in 1883 by the Chicago & Atlantic RR.
Kenton The Big Four freight station was across the street (W. Franklin) from the existing passenger station.
Kenton The passenger station was about 100 yards back from the road on the east side of Fountaine Street (U.S. 68) with the freight station being further east toward Steiner Avenue. The station was demolished in the early 1980s.
Kenton The passenger station was located on the north side of West Decatur just west of South Main Street. The freight station was across the tracks just north of the river. This RR later became part of the T&OC.
McGuffey  
McVitty This town was established by the railroad as a shipping station for the Herzog Stone Quarry.
Mentzer
(Buxton)
 
Mount Victory
Patterson Formery known as Petersburg and Sylvia, was named for Robert Patterson, secretary-treasurer of the Mad River and Lake Erie Railroad (a Big 4 predacessor).
Pfeiffer
Station
This may have been the same station as Dudley.
Ridgeway The first station here was on the west side of Main Street, on the north side of the tracks (according to maps from 1879) (GPS: 40.516222,-83.573636). I'm not sure if the station pictured is the first station or a later replacement.
Ridgeway  
Sage Sage was between Foraker and Kenton.
Silver Creek Previously known as Hudson.
Yelverton Was named in 1858 to honor John Yelverton, a large stockholder in the Mad River and Lake Erie Railroad.
1898 HARDIN COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

Ada (PFt.W&C) - This Victorian era station has been placed on the National Register of Historic Buildings. The downstairs of the station is being used by the City of Ada. The upstairs is used by the Ada Model Railroad Assoc. This organization meets on Saturdays in the upstairs of the depot. For further information on this organization, contact Cass Telles.