DEFIANCE COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Current
Use
Date
Built
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
Defiance SW of 5th Street between Jackson and Harrison Streets. (GPS: 41.284797,-84.367632) P Railroad pre-1888 In Use Wood
Defiance 1121 Harrison Street near Deatrick Street.
(GPS: 41.278284,-84.377784)
F Business ???? In Use Wood
Jewell Auglaize Village at 12296 Krouse Road
(GPS: 41.264439, -84.440628)
P Museum ???? None Wood
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Defiance
AND
Built in 1875, this union station was near where the tracks converge. It was on the east side of Deatrick Street SE of Harrison Avenue (GPS: 41.278008, -84.377669). The B&O frieght station was just to the NE at GPS: 41.278129, -84.377372. Although built by the B&O, the station had platforms on both sides to serve both the B&O and Wabash.
Defiance This postcard was marked Defiance flood 1913. It appears to indeed be Defiance since the Johns Manville plant is in the photo. Was this a B&O station that was short-lived due to the flood?
Defiance Built in 1917, this station sat on the SE side of Clinton Street at Davidson Street at GPS:41.279516, -84.369179. Was used as a MofW Base until it partially burned on 6/10/05 and finally demolished in march, 2006. Photo of burned station. There was a subway and stairs/elevator that lead to a platform between the elevated tracks.
Defiance There was a freight station on Seminary Street/Seymor way at GPS: 41.280213, -84.366026. This served several siding tracks of the mainline.
Defiance There was another freight station on Jacskson between Thurston and Worhtington Streets. The Wabash roundhouse was to the SW across the tracks. (GPS: 41.283946,-84.368284)
Delaware Bend This station was on the west side of The Bend Road (formerly Bryan Street), on the south side of the tracks. (GPS: 41.282733,-84.51587)
Drake The CJ&M was a forerunner of the Cincinnati Northern.
Hicksville This station was on the SE side of High Street (formerly Bryan Street), on the south side of the tracks. The road that ran along the tracks was formerly called B&O Railroad Avenue. (GPS: 41.296066,-84.757665)
Mark Center The station was on the east side of Main Street, on the north side of the tracks. (GPS: 41.289356,-84.630615)
Ney
(Georgetown)
This station was on the north side of West Main Street, on the east side of the tracks. (GPS: 41.381937,-84.525901)
Sherwood
AND
Served both the B&O and Cincinnati Northern as a "union" station. Photo taken in 1905. The depot burned in 1912. The tower in the photo was the original wooden tower. This was located on the north side of Pearl Street in the SW quadrant of the diamond. (GPS: 41.285554,-84.549413)
sherwood
AND
This newer union station which served the B&O and Cincinnati Northern appears to be of B&O design. The newer brick interlocking tower in this photo (that replaced the old wooden one) was demolished in 1979. This was located at the east end of Lawrence Street.
1898 DEFIANCE COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

Defiance (Wabash Passenger) - This station is shown on an 1888 maps of the town, so it is at least that old. The building was larger before the RR cut it down to size.

Defiance (Wabash Freight) - South Side Bar.

Jewell (Wabash) - The original location of this depot was at the corner of CR-185 and Jewell Road (CR-55) (GPS: 41.325763,-84.28476).