|Rosewood||Main Street (SR 29)
(GPS: 40.219208, -83.961407)
|St. Paris||500 South Washington Street
(GPS: 40.124324, -83.957695)
|Urbana||519 Miami Street (US 36)
(GPS: 40.108231, -83.758625)
|Urbana||644 Miami Street (US 36)
(GPS: 40.108805, -83.760239)
|Urbana||NE of West Ward & North Russell Streets
(GPS: 40.112200, -83.755521)
|STATIONS OF THE PAST|
|Hagenbaughs||Although this town does not exist anymore, a Columbus, Piqua & Indiana RR (later PRR) station is shown here as early as 1874. The station was on the north side of Jackson Hill Road. This is in Salem Township SE of Kingscreek.|
|This station was on East Kingscreek Road.|
|Mechanicsburg||This station was on the north side of Railroad Street between S. Main and S. Locust Streets.|
|Mingo||In 1874 the A&GW station was on the west side of Spain Street at Railroad Street.|
|North Lewisburg||The first station here was along the south side of the tracks just east of Gregory Street. It survived until at least 1901 and was probably demolished when the new Erie station was built (see below).|
|This station was built sometime after 1901 and sat along the south side of the tracks on the west side of Gregory Street (across the street from where the old depot was).|
|St. Paris||The passenger station was between South Springfield Street and South Washington Street just south of Poplar Street. The freight station (still existing) was across the tracks to the southeast.|
|St. Paris||This station was located on the east side of Main Street (US 36) just south of Ashland Avenue.|
|Urbana||This combination station was on the north side of Miami Street on the west side of the tracks. This was the original station for this line (later Big 4). The station appears on 1885 maps when the line was IB&W.|
|Urbana||This station replaced the one listed above. It was located near the corner of South Dewey Street and Abbey Lane. It was on the east side of the tracks. It, and the freight station that is still standing, were built sometime between 1910 and 1924.|
|Urbana||Built in 1871, this A&GW (later Erie) station was at the west end of Court Street at Washington Street. It was just to the NW of the CCC&St.L station (listed above). It was torn down in 1934 and passenger operations were moved to the freight station thereafter.|
|Urbana||The freight station was across the tracks to the NW of the passenger station.|
|Woodstock||The first station here was on the west side of South Main Street.|
|1898 CHAMPAIGN COUNTY RAILROAD MAP|
Notes About Existing Stations...
Rosewood (Ohio Southern) - This station was moved from the south side of SR 29 to the north side of SR 29 by the grain elevator when it was purchased from the railroad. The bay window has been removed and a tin roof added.
Urbana (NYC) - Located on the south side of US36 and west of the new elevated NYC line (relocated in the 1920s). The line is owned by the West Central Ohio Port Authority (WESTCO) and operated by IOCR (RailTex).
Urbana (PCC&St.L) - Station exterior in good condition. The building has been completely refurbished by a joint effort between the city and a group of locals who formed The Simon Kenton Pathfinders. The group bought the depot in the early stages of trying to start a bike trail and later deeded it to the city. The bike trail is operational and the depot now houses a coffeehouse. More photos and info are available at: http://www.simonkentonpathfinders.org/depot.htm. The station appears on Sanborn maps as early as 1895, but may be considerably older (earlier Sanborn maps did not show this part of town).
Urbana (Erie) - Behind Marathon Oil Tanks. Freight house is easily accessible; in good condition, being used for storage by a local business. I'm told that the Erie passenger depot was right next door, approximately where the Marathon oil tanks are now. --Tom Swisher